1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus York

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Mar 27, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Joe's a bit worried about the weather tomorrow but think it should be ok from at least noon onwards. The pitch might look a bleeding mess but it still drains well so don't think the overnight rain will affect it too much. Think it might disrupt one or two other games though who don't have the kind of pitch we have. I don't want others to have games in hand again so hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, first part of the weekend successfully negotiated and now on to game two. I love Plym's note on the prediction thread. We must be due to hammer somebody this season and then puts us down for 2 - 0. Don't go too mad then Plym. Last home game I talked about gut feeling so this time, considering that was a disaster I'm not going to mention feelings at all. We need to win it and with luck this time the rest of the results will go with us instead of against. Pretty much full squad so we are in good shape.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well I'm not going to put down 6-0 in a prediction am I sensible.

3. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Why not if you think we are due to hammer somebody? Predictions should be what you think a score might be not a safe option and hope. That's why I do so well.....<cheers>

Was it you birthday you were celebrating yesterday then? If you mark them off on the bed post in notches then I bet it has fallen apart by now. Mine has but just on the wife's side.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Each year is marked on the skirting board.....I'm threequarters of the way around the room at the moment........not easy marking behind the wardrobes.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Bright and breezy here this morning after a wild night so should be all clear by 3 pm. With Oxford not playing today and Portsmouth at Wimbledon, it's a fine day for 3 points against second from bottom. When was life ever that simple at PAFC?

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Also Rovers away at Carlisle.

Still high winds here in NW Kent......Bird Table blown over and broken.......next doors fence broken and knocked off the gutter down pipe at the back of my Garage.......Plant pots blown over.....and Bird feeders literally horizontal when big gusts happen......two Jays are the only birds brave enough to try and use them.....no sign of any Squirrels at the moment......but the sun is now shining......hope there's no structual damage at Home Park.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Sun shining in Peverell but further rain clouds starting to form over central park so expecting heavy showers all afternoon. No danger to the game being on though. Feeling confident of a comfortable 4-0 victory and a return to third.

8. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Yes Weather here is looking a bit Dark with the cloud,, but had some bright period's.
    A nice win will put us back in it as the others have tough games.. But all our games are tough one's as we never make it easy..

Friday was the turning point.. <cracker>

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

The heavens have opened :emoticon-0169-dance

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Argyle finished the Easter period with another 3 points against a poor York side- but it wouldn't be Argyle unless they made a lot harder work of it than it should have been.
    The greens started slowly and York looked the brighter in the opening exchanges. The back in favour 4-4-2 formation saw Matt and Reid up front and it wasn't long before they gained the dominance and for the rest of the first half it was one way traffic. The ref managed to upset the home crowd but firstly not allowing a clear advantage when Argyle were breaking and then not giving a fairly clear penalty when Matt appeared to be pulled down inside the box. He soon evened things up though, Matt scored from close range and the goal stood, despite more than a suspicion of offside and what looked to be a clear foul moments earlier by reuben. Reuben scored the 2nd (and his 50th) shortly after with a rare penalty and a good nearpost header by their player made it 3-0 at the break and most of the green army were thinking about improving goal differences etc.

As always the second half was much different. York pulled one back from distance - Luke should have done better, and then made it it 3-2 from the spot. At the other end Argyle still threatened but never really tested the keeper. Formation had reverted to 4-3-2-1 and Boateng, tanner and Wylde had replaced Houghton, Carey and Reid. York pressed and there was more then a couple of nervey moments. A serious injury to one of their players disrupted things and the ref blew up just a couple of minutes after the restart. Much relief all round.

Pretty good performances from most, Matt MOTM.

Back to 3rd and all is well. Just a short trip to Sid James park on Saturday to look forward to.

11. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

We've wasted chances to forge ahead in recent "easy" games. We have a tougher sequence ahead now . Fingers remain crossed.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A game of two halves.....someone had to say it......some good results today......Accrington where the only other top winners....only 1pt behind.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Grrr!!! Grrrr!!. This was a lousy result score wise against a team who were a relegation club for all to see. We were cruising. 3 - 0 up at halftime and it could and maybe should have been more but was acceptable. Came out in the second and it looked only a matter of time before we increased the lead. They scored and by some bizaar way suddenly everything changed. Why did Adams make the changes he did? He took Reid off for Boateng and left one up front. In other words was protecting what we had rather than going for the jugular and sorting our goal difference problem. I really believe we would have gone on to score more. But we then managed to conceed a penalty and it was 3 - 2. Time then to go into panic mode. We started to hang on even if York were huffing and puffing. Ifirmly believe that today Adams got it totally wrong. This was more in keeping with a Sheridan substitution thing than his own. Advice to Adams for the future.....if your team is winning easily and the opposition is poor then show no mercy and don't give them an opening.

We deserved the 3 points today but we deserved as supporters to be served with less of a mish mash of a game that Adams made it. I like Adams but not today despite the result. If he gets nervous then he should look away and not transfer that onto the pitch. Back in 3rd now but we won't hang onto it if we go to rats like today. 6 points over Easter and job done as we needed to get that . Gonna be hard next weekend.