1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Very unlucky result and still proud of the lads - My thoughts on Arsenal game

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

Just got back from the game.

I thought the red card was quite harsh, but Mitrovic still needs to learn.

I think Arsenal should be ashamed of themselves, some of their play acting was stomach churningly pathetic.

The Sissoko booking was a ****ing dreadful decision, but then again I thought Sanchez was given an unfair yellow at one point also.

Despite the lack of discipline at times, though, I'm very proud of the lads.

I thought we defended very well and the goal was ridiculously unfortunate. 0-0 would have been a fairer result.

Ratings -

Krul - 8 - Great reading of the game and some good last ditch saves and blocks.

Janmaat - 7 - Good defensively, poor crossing. Not that there was anyone to aim for like!

Colo - 7.5 - Good defensive display. We could have used more leadership from him though.

Mbeba - 7.5 - Solid defensively.

Haidara - 7 - Caught out defensively at times, but he's improving. There was a lot of hard, good work from him.

Anita - 7.5 - Great reading of the game from him. Good interceptions and pressured Arsenal well. He's becoming more aggressive and has a much better manager now.

Colback - 7.5 - Good pressure and defensive work.

Wijnaldum - 7.5 - Good work defensively, exceptional ball retention and play at times.

Sissoko - 7.5 - Unlucky to get booked. Good work and some good attacking runs.

Thauvin - 6.5 - Isolated at the top, couldn't quite impact the game. Worked hard though.

Mitrovic - n/a - Some good work before he went off. Unlucky to get a red, but it would have been a definite booking either way.

Perez - n/a - Some decent late runs

De Jong - n/a

Cisse - n/a

MOTM - Krul for me. He should have had another well earned clean sheet.

McClaren - 7.5 - He made the right subs and is keeping us looking very solid and well organised. He just needs to discipline Mitrovic.

AlanShearersKneecaps likes this.
  2. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Unlucky? Seriously just making stupid challenges is nothing to do with luck.

3. Darth Tash

Thanks for your input.

4. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Agree with most of that Tash.
    I'd give Thauvin an 8 though, I really would. Under the circumstances he had a fab game and showed several moments of brilliance.
    Arsenal seemed to have two men watching him at times which will have helped take the pressure off the rest of the team.

5. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

And despite being one of our better players today Haidara is seen to be the joint worst?! Hmm!

Captainchaos. likes this.
  6. Captainchaos.

You're welcome but in all seriousness we mada far too many stupid challenges and created our own luck.

7. Darth Tash

I don't think worst is the right word. I don't think there was a "worst" player. I think he wasn't as good as some of the others.

He still looks extremely vulnerable to balls in behind. Fair enough he doesn't really have a defensively astute winger to back him up, but still.

8. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

He made many succesful challenges, out-muscled Giroud, created a few chances on the counter attack (more-so than Janmaat) and all this without a French international player supporting him in front of him. He was much better than Colback, Thauvin, Janmaat and Sissoko.

9. Captainchaos.

Seriously we were **** lost the game in 16 minutes. We defended well after but if you get pissed and run someone over it doesn't matter how well you drive aftetwards.

Seabass likes this.
  10. Darth Tash

He did a lot of good, but he was the weakest link in the back quite often.

Agree to disagree.

We were unlucky in the sense that the goal wasn't the result of great attacking play, it was a ball that deflected into the path of another player, and his shot deflected and went in.

It was a scrappy, unlucky goal.

We thoroughly deserved to walk away with a point.

11. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Can you explain how he was worse then Janmaat?

12. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Haidara was shocking in the first half, all over the shop defensively. He got caught forward a few times first half. He isn't very good with the ball though either. He looks so poor at times. In the first half he went to clear a ball up the line after getting himself into trouble. He skewed it off the side of his foot straight out about 100 yards up <laugh>
    Had a good 2nd half though. Made some good tackles, good pace on Giroud. You can't play halfs though, most teams will crucify that first half performance and you are behind the 8 ball.

I'd struggle to give any bar Anita, Mbemba and Krul above a 6. Those three would be 7 or 8's for me. You have watched a different game to me Tash. Sissoko and Gini were poor. Surrendered loads of possession. Colback tried hard and did ok. Janmaat was better than Haidara but not by much. Colo did ok, but like Haidara was out of position loads early doors. Lucky to get away with it (Arsenal not good enough to capitilise)

The fans cheered the effort which stopped many dropping into 4's or 5's but we were not good by any stretch. Before and after the sending off we were just giving the ball away for fun.

Ellis Short Is likes this.
  13. Captainchaos.

14. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

The tackle was rash and for me a yellow but we do seem to lack discipline at time which wasn't helped by the fact that Marriner is a strict referee. As for Haidara was probably our best player today, made some good interceptions in the second half which stopped Arsenal from scoring.

Flash likes this.
  15. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

It was totally our own fault today. I reckon the lads were pretty confident walking onto the pitch today and got a bit of a shock with the way Arsenal were pulling them around, lost their heads and the game is over.

I thought once McClaren came and re-organised we did do ok though. Tactically that was good to see.

Some good signs but basically we have shot ourselves in the foot and Arsenal have taught us a bit of a lesson.

16. AthertonStreet

AthertonStreet New Member

Agree with a lot of the ratings there.

Whilst I think Mitrovic was clumsy rather than vicious, I can still understand why it was a red. Couple of the yellows (Siss, Sanchez and Colo) were harsh.

I like how much the team fight for everything and are willing to block everything. Last year we'd have been hammered 4 or 5 -0.

Also good to see we're confident on the ball. Wiji looks such class as does Thauvin and Perez.

If we can stay solid at the back our forward line (with Aarons and De Jong to come on) will cause a lot of problems for most teams!

!

17. Captainchaos.

Your thoughts?

please log in to view this image

18. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

A.

9/10.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  19. Captainchaos.