1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Victor Wanyama says Arsenal want to sign him

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

It amazes me how much media space is dedicated to undermining Saints compared with other clubs...what the hell have we done to deserve this continued campaign.
    Are Villa under constant attack from the media with Benteke, Delph, Vlaar etc linked to every top six club? No
    How about Swansea, West Ham etc...No!
    What is it about us?

2. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Wanyama said it. So no media undermining us.

3. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Said what exactly?

4. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I find it sad that you would even give the Sun legitimacy by posting a picture of the cover, yet alone referencing a 'story' from that pile of trash.

Archers Road and SAINTDON13 like this.
  5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Wanyama did not say it. The story is complete invention. I see Ronald has got cheesed off about it too, and rightly so:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32438793

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

To be fair, all the villa players you mentioned were subject to transfer gossip for ages. West Ham have just had Cresswell linked to City and Swansea had Gomis being sold to Palace.

We probably have more gossip, but take that as a compliment

7. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

We have already been through this. He is protecting his player.

But you have your own opinion. DTLW has never lied so I don't see why he would start? Why would Vic have a meeting with Koeman if nothing was said?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

DTLW post from earlier ,must be something in it....

9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Bit of a non story for me. Would Wanyama be interested if Arsenal came bidding? Almost certainly. Does he want to play CL football? Almost certainly. Would we sell him for a big fee if it got to that stage? Almost certainly.

Personally I don't think he is an Arsenal type player (as I have said before) as I don't think he is good enough on the ball for them. In the past they would rather go for someone worse defensively but better on the ball. I think their no 1 target for a DM will be William Carvalho who they have been linked heavily to in the past (if it is not Morgan)

10. SAINTDON13

You seemed to have lost the thread about what happened, the Sun article was misunderstood by some including Vic about what it actually said, Vic thought it had said that he had talked to Arsene Wenger about a move, the article did not say that at all, hence the original denial by Vic, which he retracted after it was pointed out to him that he had got it wrong. What the article seemed to actually say is that in an interview over a month ago, Vic had heard that Arsene had been talking about him, not a surprise as many Managers had noticed his performances and were talking about him. It also combined two parts of the same interview which gave the impression that Vic wanted to play CL with Arsenal, in its proper context it said nothing of the sort, it just said Vic was impressed with Arsenal, and also that he would love to play in the CL, as every player in the Premiership would, the whole caboose got blown up out of all proportion, hence RonKos inference that it was a load of bullsheet.
    That is how I now understand the situation.

saintlyhero likes this.

11. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

We have different takes then and no I haven't lost track of what happened.

That's just leave it as we see it differently. Pointless going round and round in circles. :emoticon-0148-yes:

12. SAINTDON13

Fair enough.

13. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Agree with Don. Typical tabloid **** stirring by tagging a sensationalist headline with pretty tame quotes

Sadly this is all too common in our media world and not just in sports.

Archers Road likes this.
  14. fatletiss

Almost as common as players being tapped up and agents trying to get their players big money moves to big clubs. Almost.

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We have good players, the team is doing well and Saints are not big enough to be a dream destination for most players...a perfect storm for rumours.

16. fran-MLs little camera

Just occurred to me that when Koeman said it was bullshit, he may not have been referring to what the reporter wrote, but to what Wanyama told the reporter in the first place. Wouldn't be the first time that a player has exaggerated a situation to sound important or to stir up interest.

17. fatletiss

Isn't it great to have a manager who just says "It's bullshit"

Archers Road and Libby like this.
  18. fran-MLs little camera

Didn't he get told off when he first arrived for saying something similar during a Sky interview...perhaps it was worse than bullshit or they have just given up correcting him :)

19. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I blame lousy journalists who would rather ask questions about other clubs than focus on the amazing story at Southampton. I can guarantee that this journalist - sorry DTLW - went into the interview with his preferred headlines already in his head and asked the questions that would get him as close to the back page as possible.

Journalists aren't interested in truth, or fair play or decency. They want headlines which appeal to the broadest demographic - and North London Yobbos outnumber us ten to one.

I also blame agents, and money, and Wanyama for being dense enough to actually sit down and talk to the journo in the first place.

20. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

Lets just agree that everyone involved has screwed up.

1. The sun has used selective quoting and yellow journalism to sell its hunk-of-**** paper to people.
    2. Vic has knee-jerked and responded based on what he thought he knew about the interview.
    3. Ron has defended his player probably on what he was told by Vic or the club without knowing all the details.

Undoubtedly Vic may be chasing bigger things like CL, 99% of professional players are but that interview was not a statement of intent.