1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Warnock criticises Noone and John

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by taffthefish, Mar 9, 2017.

1. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

I haven't posted a new thread on here in absolute ages! So here goes.

NW criticised Noone and John over their negative impact when they came on as subs against Blackburn. Nothing about this seems to have been mentioned on here, which surprises me a little.
    A few years ago, Dave Jones publicly criticised Adam Matthews and got roundly criticised on here. If any, can any comparisons be made between the two incidents?
    Was the outcry about Matthews due to his tender years?
    Was it due to a perception that Matthews was too harshly criticised?
    Is it due to the fact Noone and John are more senior and know what's expected of them?

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I must say I thought Warnock's criticism of John and Noone a bit unusual even for his outspoken nature, especially when he went on to say that he was learning about next season and who he wanted on board.

Doesn't look good for either of them. I suspect that as a survivors of our "Magificent Prem season" they would both be on reasonable contract wages particularly Noone. Maybe not so much Declan, but the release of those two if they don't figure in his plans should free up some decent dosh.

3. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Matthews age . He had shown real promise and the criticism was along the lines of he will be reminded about that for the rest of his career.

I think you also have to take into account that Warnock is really popular with the fan base at the moment and can get away with more. Whereas a lot of fans myself included thought this was another example of bad management by Jones. Going over the top blaming others when he should have looked at himself. This incident I believe destroyed Matthews confidence and contributed in him leaving us

Would Warnock have slated a 18 year kid in public the way Jones did.? I dont think so.

Warnock blamed the 2 of them. He didnt go as over the top as Jones did.

Jay-Rede likes this.
  4. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

I also recall, a few weeks back, NW suggested Jazz Richards was being lazy. He didn't criticise him, but the implication was there. Apparently Richards has responded well and an article the other day stated he was knuckling down. So, I guess different tactics for different players.
    It appears NW is showing the door to Noone and John, will he play them or let them sit in the reserves? Both need to play in order to get a contract elsewhere. NW needs to start building a team for next season and utilise what he's currently got. By his own admission, NW didn't have the options he needed on the bench (against Blackburn) so can he afford to alienate Noone and John?
    I agree that DJ went too far with Matthews by publicly criticising him, however, I do believe he must have tried other approaches beforehand which hadn't worked. Do you think this impacted Matthew's progress in a negative way? He has had a reasonable career to date, but did he waste the talent he was deemed to have at an early age?

5. Sayer77

Sayer77 Active Member

I don't think we can carry on paying Noone top dollar for two or three good performances a season. I don't think that Declan has reached the heights that were expected of him. Therefore in my opinion they are both probably on their way out. I have no problem with any manager having a go at their players for not doing what is asked of them, they are highly paid and know what is expected of them.

6. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Noonie seems to blow hot and cold. Last time Colin mentioned him adversely he picked up his game for 3/4 matches. Now seems to have gone off the boil again so perhaps another criticism will stir him up. I don't think his effort can ever be faulted but his tactical awareness and final ball can let him down. I don't think he's out of contract this year so might get a reasonable fee for him.

I've said for sometime that Declan has never fulfilled his potential. Again a lack of awareness (and, if truth be known, height) when defending is his downfall. He's only come into the squad lately due to lack of numbers and possibly an inability to loan him out in the window. He's had a few chances off the bench lately but done little to show he's improved.

I also think that if we had signed Hayes from Aberdeen then Noonie would have moved on in the window.

7. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Colin is renown for his man management and uses all the tools in the box. I can imagine him testing the attitude of all players between now and the end of the season.
    I'm sure he has his eye on next year's recruits and if he can get similar for cheaper he will and save the bucks for areas of weakness.
    As an example bang for your buck, Harris over noone, zohore over Lambert.
    Ship out Lambert, Bruno, noone and pillks gives a lot of head room on salaries. Do we also move Connelly on? we seem well stocked at the back but need a keeper.
    Leaves the money for the front 5.

8. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Yet in the same breath he's lauding Richards and Bennett.

Personally I think it's just a Warnock thing. Not many managers are so public about their players.

9. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

Noone can't have two good games in a row. If he does well one week, you can bet ya bottom dollar that he will be pants the next week. I'd cash in on him. I've never been a fan of Declan, I think he's a strong league one player personally

10. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

I must admit I've always liked Noone, he tries to give his all every match but at times he is left wanting.
    Declan has always been a car crash waiting, I used to feel sorry for Ben Turner when Declan played he had to cover for him.

It's part of football that players come and go and I think quite a few will be on their way soon.

Jay-Rede likes this.