1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watsons Case for the Defence

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Warmir Pouchov, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

So its turns out that Dave Watson is the man who has been charged with polishing the turd that is our defence. I can't comment on his coaching but he was a very good centre back. The problem he has is he is working with bang average defenders as has been noted by many on here in recent days. Personally I can't believe we are sitting here with the same band of merry men from 5 years ago (bar Dummy in for Hall). I can't think of any other club who would have such a poor defensive record yet their board wouldn't have done anything about it. The full backs have changed a little but the key area at centre back has never been sorted out.

Maybe won't be a popular comment to make, but I reckon Carr has something to answer for here. His provision of the average Mbiwa and Haidara for a combined sum of almost 10m looks woeful business to me.

Anyway here's the article from NUFC:

Dave Watson's promotion to first team coaching duties will have a positive impact on Newcastle United's defenders, both young and old.

That is the opinion of new head coach John Carver, who moved the former Everton and England centre-back up from the Magpies' Academy following his appointment earlier this week.

A numer of United's stars will not remember Watson the player - someone who made more than 500 appearances for the Toffees, lifted the First Division title, FA Cup and Charity Shield, as well as winning 12 caps for the Three Lions.

So Carver educated his squad about their new coach, and believes Watson will be a great addition to the backroom team at St. James' Park.

"First of all, he brings the experience of having played 600-plus games in the top flight and England caps," explained Carver.

"He's a hugely-respected centre-half who was hard, strong, physical and a decent footballer, too. He's worked at Wigan and at our Academy, has great coaching experience and brings some extra defensive coaching qualities to us.

"On the first day I put on a presentation to the players about Dave, who he is and what he had done as a player.

"I think one or two of them were quite shocked when they realised how much football he had played and saw him lifting a trophy.

"Dave's experiences will be so valuable, even to guys like Fabricio, Mike Williamson and Steven Taylor.
    "Hopefully he can also have a big impact on the development of some of the younger defenders as well, people like Paul Dummett, Remie Streete and Lubo Satka. It all bodes well."

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Not a bad shout BG.
    I think Carr's brief has been heavily weighted towards attacking players.
    This will most likely be down to two reasons:
    1- Fatty probably likes to see a bit of flair and pace
    2- Forwards and midfielders generally would command more in £££ fees

3. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

Carver's opinion is worthless. Just another 'jobs for the boy's in all but name.

4. Warmir Pouchov

So you hate Watson too? <laugh> Is there anyone we employ you have anything but hate for?

5. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

As with almost all of our deficiencies, the parlous state of our defence can be lain squarely at the door of MA. Yes, Carr could have done better with the signing of Mbiwa but it's MA who has only sanctioned one senior CB signing since we were promoted. It's beyond frugal and just plain crazy.

We're also getting to the stage where they'll all need replacing at the same time. Not only will that further reduce the quality of the new arrivals with the (no doubt stupidly small) budget being even more stretched, but we'll be left with a defence in which no player has knowledge of each other.

6. Warmir Pouchov

I agree but I don't think you can excuse Carr completely. For the near 10m we spent on those two we could have done so much better. Every scouting team except ours seemed to realise Mbiwa wasn't going to cut it.

7. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

Never said I hate him, I just know it is a pointless appointment which will achieve **** all.

8. Warmir Pouchov

Probably true but more because of ****e options than anything else.

9. East Stand Heckler

East Stand Heckler Well-Known Member

Any of our young ones ready yet?

10. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

Goes without saying, anyone that spent five years playing for Sunderland would have to be very talented, seems like we still keep makin them and you still keep takin them, as you did with our ships for hundreds of years

11. Warmir Pouchov

I think we'll have to rename you Alicia Silverstone Fredor, you're absolutely ****ing clueless <laugh>

12. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Did you not realise that Sunderland are our feeder club?

13. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

What do you want to be Boro when you grow up ?

14. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

The proud owner of your entire estate (minus the trike) if I remember rightly....

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  15. Warmir Pouchov

Not as senile as you?

16. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    [/URL][/IMG]
    Albert does not want this so anyone else interested

17. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

18. Warmir Pouchov

I see Spurs are looking to loan out Younes Kaboul and/or Vlad Chiriches. Both better than what we have in our defensive ranks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.