1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Way To Impress Your New Employer And Fans

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Angelicnumber16, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

New Burnley midfielder Joey Barton says he regrets sending a tweet mocking the town while at QPR last season.
    Barton tweeted a Clarets fan: "We may well be really overrated but at least we don't have to live in Burnley".
    The 33-year-old joined Sean Dyche's side in August, after West Ham pulled out of a deal to sign the former Manchester City and Newcastle player.
    "I wish I hadn't done it in a social media space because it was taken out of context," he told BBC Radio Lancashire.
    "They're passionate fans, I'm a passionate player and we had a disagreement where they targeted me and I stood and fought my ground, and I think most people see it for that.
    "If it was taken in a derogatory manner by some people it wasn't meant that way - it was me sort of poking fun and having a little fun with it.
    "My early impressions of Burnley are very, very positive and I think in time Burnley fans will get to appreciate me as much as I get to appreciate Burnley."

Yeah right Joey...

2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Doesn't help himself but I must admit I don't mind the bloke now. Yeah he was a tit before but he's much more intelligent than the average footballer and I'm sure he knows what he's doing when he does get himself into these controversies.

3. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's alright in a Lock, stock and two smoking barrels kind of way

4. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

To be fair he's right, Burnley is a ****ing **** hole! Even the people living in Burnley know that. I can remember when I went up a few seasons ago and behind the away end is a third world country themed housing estate where you park up! Some rough looking ****ers sat on walls as we drove by and playing football with a ball of socks. Still not as bad as wales though.

5. BrightredRickster

Just up the Burnley Road towards Halifax are a couple of towns that look like they have come from a brochure on Yorkshire Dales.
    Hebdon Bridge is absolutely gorgeous (apart from the annual floods). Most of the cast of Emmerdale live there. In fact the number one employer for the town is Media City in Manchester, home of BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and SKY. It is very strong on alternative medicines, alternative power sources, alternative everything, and there are a handful of similar villages on the banks of the river Calder.
    I believe they call it Bronte country, and it boasts arguably the most spectacularly charming countryside that England has to offer

6. EnderMB

EnderMB Well-Known Member

Something I don't get is why players seem to care all that much about where they live. League 1 and below, I can understand, but I seriously doubt that high-profile players get to spend much time in the real world anyway. I doubt Barton will be down the local Lidl to do his weekly shopping or popping to KFC for some lunch after training. He'll be tucked away in some posh bit on the outskirts somewhere, away from the unwashed masses, like most footballers are.

Burnley is a bit grim, but with the money Barton has made over his career, he can afford to make any grim place a bit nicer.

7. BrightredRickster

I should like to refer you to the comments I made just prior to yours

8. Angelicnumber16

I don't know that specific area, but the jokes about the north are largely just a mickey take, aside from the part of Rotherham just off the M1 where Millmoor once stood and going on into town. That IS one of the bleakest places I've ever seen anywhere in the world.
    My uncle used to live in Guisborough and that area up onto the North Yorkshire Moors is spectacular and olde worlde, especially some of the coastal places like Staithes and Robin Hoods Bay.

Further south are the Buttertubs and the Grosmont to Pickering steam railway and Fylingdale Moor where the early warning nuclear domes used to be housed.

Happy memories

9. BrightredRickster

There are some hideous places north of Worcester, but the Dales and towns north of Leeds are not among them.
    York to Harrogate is particularly sugar coated, which is just as well considering the awful mess that you have to go through in south or east Leeds to get there.
    There again Bradford gets very bad press, but architecturally it is very beautiful. And the hill town of Keighley, birthplace of the original Richard Sharp, is set in almost Alpine splendour. Just south of Keighley is an area the size of Dorset which is of outstanding natural beauty.

I have always found south Yorkshire to be particularly gross, with Sheffield, Dewsbury, and Barnsley very grim. However, there are many an oasis on those roads, like Wakefield and Pontefract which are pleasant enough
    And then there is Burnley, but where there's muck there's brass :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  10. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Get a life, you could be living in Armpit, Saskatchewan.

11. Angelicnumber16

Or Twatt on the Orkney Islands

Yes really, look it up !

12. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

York to Harrogate is particularly sugar coated, which is just as well considering the awful mess that you have to go through in south or east Leeds to get there.

Harrowgate to York via LEEDS SOUTH AND EAST? !! having been to both many many times York is north east of M1 / A1M via A64 no where near Leeds. and Harrowgate is from M1 slicing top north east of Leeds ( from j43? Sainsbury's just 300m for fuel stop ) which is quite posh in places or further up via Wetherby. YORK to HARROWGATE if memory serves is flat straight and featureless countryside green fields and hedges

13. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

The drive between Winnipeg and Regina (formerly named Pile of Bones -true) is particularly enjoyable and to put it in context, it's like the surface of the moon without the trees.

14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I've heard he's a hit in McDonalds

15. BrightredRickster

OK
    I'll shut up :)

16. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

17. BrightredRickster

yes JG
    i know exactly where those places are, having lived there for 5 years.