1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We have a Predator

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Blunham Mackem, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

His name is Defoe.

And for the next 2-3 years he could be this generation's SKP.

He's as fit as ****, he's got a real footballers brain, which gives him that extra yard, or angle, over the next guy alongside him in the box.

Is this then, the point where Sunderland AFC, make that next, significant and realistic shift to the next level?

As in, mid-league mediocrity, if that's what you want to call it. Consistent end-of-season 9th-12th positioning. I'd call that real progress for our club over the next 2-3 years. I'd settle for that. After the last 20-40 years of massive mismanagement, all I want for the next 10 years is a strong, established PL club.

To be able to attract the sort of player that Stoke, Everton, West Ham, Newcastle, regularly seem able to do.

And if that works then, onwards and upwards. But for now, safety by March will make me a happy man.

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

aye Vernon Anita and Andy Carroll!!

Sorry couldn't resist! But I hope so. We have the fox in the box in Defoe... He brought so much more to the table today though. He's strong as an ox for his size and looks fit as a fiddle too!! Not counting my chickens yet though

3. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Yes please sir but i'll want some more

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Lets not get carried away fella. KP was a goal scoring god. Defoe is a good goal scorer but never been prolific, he's not going to start now. He'll get us goals but after three games shouldn't be in the same sentence as KP.Will never ever come anywhere close.

5. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

He's our modern day little coloured phillips.

6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

<laugh>

7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

please log in to view this image

Gan on Defoe you ugly mo fo, use some of ya fancy gadgets to wipe them out.

8. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

In fairness I don't think anyone ever will. Strikers like SKP simply don't exist anymore, they're a rarity and when they do come along they tend to be way out of our price range. But oh how i'd love to see us get one.

9. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

If Phillips was at his peak today I don't think I'd be far wrong in saying he could rub shoulders with the likes of Suarez.

10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Hope not, that ****er would take a bite out of him.

If we had a Phillips at his peak today, wonder how long we could keep a hold of him, before someone came in with a massive bid. Wonder what he'd be worth.

11. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

The onlyvway he'd rub shoulders is if they were his shoulders and suarezes teeth!

12. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Hear what you are saying but bad choice for a comparison mate.

SKP was an all round quality footballer, not just a predatory striker, he was intelligent on the ball, good at holding play up when needed, excellent passer and great vision. An SKP in his prime would be worth well in excess of £50m in todays market.

13. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's funny how Defoe scores his first goal for us and 1 or 2 people are already comparing him to the God like SKP, I can see the resemblance but if he does half as well as SKP I'll be chuffed.
    Anyone else think Gus simply has to bring SKP into our coaching staff Asap?

14. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Philips was a top top striker, but some on here are getting carried away, he was also in a very good team set up with Summerbee and SNQ. supplying the ammo.

15. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

Any of our strikers with anything about them will inevitably be compared. It needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

arthur likes this.
  16. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aye. That was me last night after watching MOTD, note the time of the opening post. His movement reminded me a little of SKP and I guess a Guinness-fuelled night did the rest. <doh>:emoticon-0127-lipss

Brian Storm likes this.
  17. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Baffled me that there were a few that didn't fancy Defoe, I mean ****ing hell, he has, and always will score goals.

I've been impressed with his movement, he stops running to find space, and he still retains his pace. As mentioned above he's a strong little buggar for his size.

Amazing how much you don't notice about a player, even a big name, when he ain't yours, gets me thinking back to a 6 week squabble we all had with the Spurs lads on here re Bent v Defoe.

I thought the one in the second half when he half scuffed it at the keeper was actually a brilliant example of what we have been lacking, packed box, ball is always coming in low, yet he rocks back a half pace and ends up with a yard and a half just outside 6 yard box.

I look forward to seeing him and Connor learn each others game, the long term benefit really is that Connor will see his movement, and pick things up.

Quality signing we have here.

Brian Storm and Gil T Azell like this.
  18. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Could be the signing of this transfer window imo, well done to whoever was responsible.

19. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

There was an incident in the second half where he won the ball on the left in our half and he passed it to Johnson or Wickham who held it up for a couple of seconds before hitting a crossfield pass to the right angle of their box - somehow Defoe had got there in a flash so he is still pretty quick

20. BalesBalls

BalesBalls Active Member

A few seasons ago you were all posting he was a dirty cnut and you wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, after Craig Gordon injury, your a fickle lot