1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wembley

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Ides of March, May 25, 2016.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Was its reconstruction really necessary? When we look at three of the leading footballing nations of Europe, Germany, Italy and Spain, none have what is termed a “National Football Stadium” as international matches involving the national team are played in various locations throughout the respective countries. When it comes to the Copa Del Rey, the final is played in one of bigger stadiums in Spain. This year’s final is being played at the Vicente Calderon.

I thought it worked really well in England when Cup Finals were played at the Millennium Stadium and England Internationals were taken around the country. In this period many club grounds were upgraded or new ones built such as our own St Mary’s, the Emirates, the Olympic Stadium and the City of Manchester Stadium. Surely this was more than adequate for the major matches that take place? For me the rebuilding of Wembley was a vanity trip conducted by the FA, as the money spent on the project would have been better being ploughed into the grassroots and better local facilities, such as indoor arenas and artificial or hybrid pitches so that matches are not called off for weeks at a time due to waterlogging.

I have never been to the new Wembley but aside the thrill of watching ones team there, surely one could get the same feeling going to the Emirates, Old Trafford, or the Millennium for a Cup semi-final, final or a play-off, or an England International? Then there is the astronomical cost. Costwise there would surely be little difference going to the FA Cup final at the new Wembley, or flying off to Sevilla or Madrid for a weekend break? And I know where I would rather go.

2. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Wembley is tradition. It's hard beat a day out at Wembley for the play-offs, fa cup, or JPT! Absolutely brilliant and the pinnacle for a lot of teams. Just because not every nation has national stadium it doesn't really affect whether we should. I have been multiple times and seeing Saints in the JPT final was just incredible.

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I am sure it was, but I would have had just the same thrill had it been at the Emirates or any other stadium, which have been to and must be just as good, just smaller.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Wembley is special. I wouldn't get as excited going to the stadium of another EPL club....I would refuse to get excited on principle...would come over as a country bumpkin. They had to upgrade Wembley as it had very poor facilities.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  5. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Wembley has lost its it's appeal to me. I remember as a kid growing up,wembley was only for cup finals and major games. But now with all the semi finals and other games of lower importance taking place there it's just lost its magical feeling it once had. Shame.

6. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Or as you have said you've got older,go back anywhere you remember as magical and a substantial amount just won't be so good.

7. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Yea that's true, but semi finals SHOULD NOT be played at Wembley. Never got why they are and never will. The whole point is to earn the right to play there in a final as a reward of good performance.

8. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Must admit I think it's a real shame to have semi finals arthe Wembley. Certain takes some of the gloss and magic away

9. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

This would have been a hot topic in 2007

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

All started when Spurs were due to play Arsenal in FA Cup semi-final. An exception was made which meant the other semi had to be played there...then it became normal. I agree it's not right, but now the new stadium needs as many bookings as it can get.

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

12. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I miss the twin towers. But aside from that new Wembley is great.

fatletiss likes this.
  13. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Que sera sera
    Whatever will be, will be
    We're going to the Emirates
    Que sera sera.

Yes, it was necessary.

fatletiss likes this.
  14. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I hate the way the corporate section is directly opposite the cameras.
    The vast swathes of empty seats, after half time ends, is an embarrassment.
    I noticed a lot of seats emptied at the end of 90 minutes, of the cup final. Maybe the "fans" in those seats thought they were getting another 15 minute break.
    Shame the cameras couldn't have been placed on that side.

15. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Wembley Stadium is OK but if the JPT was anything to go on, the road infrastructure is dire. It took us nearly four hours to get from the Stadium to the start of the M3 coming home.

16. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

The reason why the new Wembley is there is because the old Wembley was there. Sacrilege to have demolished the twin towers though. They date from when I was a proper football fan and used to take a major interest in England. I even went to a couple of Wembley Speedway finals and they were fantastic too. With the loss of the towers went an awful lot of romance.

ImpSaint and fatletiss like this.
  17. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

We come from East-er-lee
    And we're going to The Em-ir-ates

18. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

That's why I particularly love the Millennium Stadium as it's in the centre of the city, less than 10 minute walk from the main train station and good park and ride setups around the city. Why don't others build their National Stadium in the centre of the city - seems logical to me :p

19. fatletiss

I think they missed an opportuniry there. Iconic structures known the world over in football. They could have been put at the bottom of Wembley way or even at the top, just before the new stadium.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  20. fatletiss

Ever tried getting out of Cardiff on Cup Final day? Nightmare.