1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wenger to drop Jenkinson due to lack of confidence

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Dec 3, 2016.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/02/arsene-wenger-carl-jenkinson-arsenal-west-ham

In an uncomfortable moment on Wednesday, Jenkinson’s substitution was welcomed by many of the crowd during Arsenal’s home defeat to Southampton in the EFL Cup. Jenkinson has looked anxious in recent performances, but Wenger is sympathetic and maintains confidence can be fragile for a player working his way back from several spells out injured.

“Jenkinson has not played for a long period,” he said. “He had knee surgery after he had two shoulder surgeries and what he is going through at the moment is, for me, normal – but very difficult to live with for a player.

Sounds like he's shot of confidence and the boo boys on Wednesday pushed him over the edge. It makes it all the more sad that he's the type of player that gives it his all and is a true Arsenal fan.

We really need to stop booing our players, it doesn't do any good.

PINKIE likes this.
  2. ArtisanWenger

ArtisanWenger Active Member

Excellent,the voice of fans,we got gabriel into the team

COYG!

3. NLDISRED

NLDISRED Active Member

It's nothing to be proud of destroying a players confidence

4. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

We need to stop persisting with mediocre players, it's THAT that doesn't do us any good

ArtisanWenger likes this.
  5. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I'm sure he can cry into his weekly 5 figure salary

6. ArtisanWenger

Well my smiley from gboard wasnt sent

[emoji14] this was the smiley,we are becoming a mob now and for some reason i believe they wont be satisfied even when we win the league or champions league and will expect fergie like success in this era and competition or keep throwing tantrums.

COYG!

7. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

If a professional footballer cannot hack criticism on social media from fans, maybe they shouldn't be a professional footballer. Rightly or wrongly, criticism and ridicule is to be expected, especially if you're a Premier League player. Either suck it up and work hard to get back in the team or find a different job.

8. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Even when he had confidence he was not good enough, the guy is just utterly bang average, seems like a nice guy though....

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Tend to agree with this, but I also think fans are ****s for booing our own players.

Sign Da Ting and goonercymraeg like this.
  10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

He's quick and he's got a great cross on him. But other than this, there's not a huge amount more that he offers us. He did well at West Ham though.
    He's only ever going to be a back up to Bellerin at his best,

11. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I thought in the last two games, Gabriel has been a decent stop gap at right-back. He may not bomb up and down the flank, but his positioning is very good and he's been pretty solid defensively. Obviously the opposition was only Bournemouth and West Ham (who are terrible at the moment), but he's fared better than I thought so far.

12. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

He did ok at West Ham when Fat Sam was manager, but when Billic came and he wanted a right back to provide an attacking threat, Jenks got dropped and had a disaster of a second season with the Hammers, he is probably the weakest player in our squad by far.

13. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

He's good defensively, has shown good positional awareness so far and he is decent technically so is able to provide some kind of help going forward. Another nice bonus to having him on the pitch is three CBs for defending corners and set pieces.

14. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Mustafi is an experienced RB. He's played there for Club and Country.

Personally while Bellerin is out I would play ...

Mustafi---Holding---Koscielny----Monreal

Been impressed with Holding (more so than Gabriel) and would like to see him get more game time.

15. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

There is a world of difference between criticism and abuse.Some of the abuse directed at the manager and individual players on social media is nothing short of a disgrace.There was a bloke in front of me at the PSG game who was abusing Jenkinson from the kick off.He never let up calling the lad a useless **** or wancker throughout the whole game.A group of our "supporters" were quite happy to have themselves singing a song about hoping Arsene Wenger dies last season.If I had my way these idiots would be banned from the stadium.I have no problem with criticising the players,manager etc - i do it myself- but I have never and would never abuse anything to do with Arsenal Football Club.

Sign Da Ting and SpursDisciple like this.
  16. lazarus20000

That's the way of the world unfortunately, there will always be those kinds of people that take it to the extreme and show such hatred. I guess it's a lack of self control and bestiality.

17. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

Is Carl Jenkinson a nice guy or are we all just basing it on a photo of him in his Arsenal decked room?

18. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Nobody on here knows what he is really like, but from all the interviews he has given, he does seem like a nice enough bloke, infact from this current squad, they all seem like decent guys, maybe that's a problem, we might still need a **** or two to get us over the line.

19. lazarus20000

You do make a certain point, they are kinda too nice. We don't have those tough and rough types of yesteryear, even skillful players like Vieira could mix it with the best of them. I guess the closest we have is Mustafi and Xhaka.

20. ArtisanWenger

Even Kos has developped more of that streak down the years and obviously Cech and Alexis even resorts to playacting when he can..we have more definitely more than the banter era and its pleasing to know other teams do not have much more of the rough and tough characters either as in our rivals.

COYG!