1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wenger warns of 'big damage' if Oxlade-Chamberlain does not sign new contract

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Apr 10, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-oxlade-chamberlain-vital-signs-a7674996.html

Arsene Wenger has insisted that it is integral to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s career that he stays at Arsenal and has urged him to sign a new contract with the club.

Oxlade-Chamberlain will enter the final 12 months on his contract in the summer, along with a number of other Arsenal stars, including Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez, as the club face losing a whole host for nothing in the summer of 2018.

Reports earlier in the season suggested the England international would leave the Emirates in the summer with both Liverpool and Manchester City interested but Wenger has called it “vital” the 23-year-old signs a new deal at the club.

“I personally think it is vital that Chamberlain stays at Arsenal,” the Arsenal manager, who is still yet to make a decision on his own future, said.

“We bought him when he was very young, we have built him up and I think he has a great mentality. I like his mentality and he has a good football brain. It would be a big damage for us to lose this kind of player.”

“I played him [in central midfield] a few times a few years ago and I think he did well,” Wenger added. “When I didn't play Ozil I had to find a combination with him in central midfield.

“He is offensive. You can see as well he is a guy who can get out of pressure. He has a dribbling skill and acceleration that can get you out of pressure. He can penetrate. In midfield that is important.

“I felt as well sometimes on the flank he is out of the game but in the middle he is more focused. He needs to be involved in the game.

“He does not have enough experience in that position. He is a player who likes to take the ball and go at people sometimes. I think that this will get out of his game.

“He can lose balls but defensively he is strong in the challenge when he wants to switch on. He has that kind of robustness to deal with body to body which is very important in the Premier League.”

Wenger also encouraged Oxlade-Chamberlain to mature mentally too and accused him of being too critical of himself, which sometimes causes his head to drop in games.

“He is very critical of himself and he works on it. He is one of the guys who sometimes is too harsh with his own performance. You can see he is blaming himself on the pitch sometimes when he misses something.

“You are always in the game when it's always the next job. You can see sometimes the fact that he is still in what he has missed when he gets the ball again. He works on that and I think he has improved a lot.”

Here are some stats on our "vital" man Oxo in the PL.

16/17 - 24 played, 2 goals, 5 assists
    15/16 - 22 played, 1 goal, 1 assist
    14/15 - 23 played, 1 goal, 1 assist

At the end of the day it's all about return and he simply has horrible return apart from this season which is just passable until you look more closely. I wonder if he would survive playing under any other top 5 club?

Is there any wonder why Sanchez and Ozil are fed up when they have players like Oxo in front of them?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there always be Wenger, as well as some fans on here, who think he as the ability and potential to make it. They'll continue to think that even when he's 35.

3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I don't get where Wenger thinks it'll do damage if we sell him. I think his stubbornness of keeping some players because they are English has been detrimental to him. I wonder if he's referring to shirt sales and maintaining our "identity" as an English club?

4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Chamberlain is mediocre, I wouldn't be bothered if he left.

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He could improve if a manager came in and trusted him, Wenger has got him in and out of the team and it doesn't suit him.

6. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

The Ox warns of even bigger damage if Wenger signs a new contract.

white_gunner and Quilllogic like this.