1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We're top of the league!

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Well we got there in the end!

Such a frustrating game. When we went 1 up with the penalty and they went down to 10 men I thought that was it. Game over. No way they will get back into the game and it was just a matter how many we will end up scoring!

How wrong was I <doh>

Possession was all ours, but we didnt create much at all. When Harrison missed the sitter I thought thats it. We wont get another chance and thought we bottled it.

Thankfully though we kept trying and trying and eventually we got the winner and the 3 points.

Gateshead away next, we must be so much better though than tonight as Gateshead are a tough side. We seen this recently when we beat them 3-2.

In fact, 4 of our next 5 games are going to be very tough as they are chasing us and the play offs. Gateshead then Eastleigh. then Halifax and Macclesfield. If we come out top of the league after the Macclesfield game, then we will win this league.

2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Great result. Now the serious business of staying there!

3. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

First side in the "Five Leagues" to notch up seventy points....but have we summited too early ?

4. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great result...............poor performance.
    Why didn't Dawson start?!
    Anyways....not the time to gripe....we're top!
    Huge match coming up v Macclesfield.

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

6. Gastronomic

We won! The tactics worked. And DC's got a few good options for the tough games coming up.

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Disagree that the tactics worked. Dawson was dropped for tactical reasons and Gosling was favoured. Gosling was taken off at half time as the tactics wasnt working. Thankfully Clarke made the early change though to replace Gosling. However I was surprised it wasnt Dawson that came on. We didnt look that dangerous until he came on. Wasnt long after that when we scored. If we had started with Dawson however, could we have done better? I think we would.

But the good thing is we won, Dawson didnt play long so should be nice and refreshed by Saturdays trip to Gateshead. Sinclair should be available too.

8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Well done the Blue half...

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I'll second that.

10. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thank you both...Good Days for BRISTOL!

11. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

We still need Barnet to drop points before we can win the league because if they win all their games they will finish above us so lets not get to carried away. Has our loan signing from Bournemouth Wakefield kicked a ball in anger for us yet and if he hasn't will Bournemouth extend his stay with us if DC should wish it

12. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

It was an interesting game last night. Braintree obviously have difficulty scoring, but play pretty well at the back, so its probably the case that if they go one down they lose and if they get in front they win. They have not been in that many drawn games. They were actually more confident in possession than the Gas!
    I am concerned that we do not play tactically to work the ball into the box on the ground. Last night chipping into a crowded penalty area simply played into their hands and got us nowhere. Our approach work was just too pedestrian and made it difficult to open them up.
    Other than the penalty, I don't think we got the ball in the box along the ground until the 88th minute.
    Webster's introduction just changed the game completely. We could have scored a hatful in the last ten minutes.
    Their 14 and 15 were a handful; good ball control and the one on the left wing was pretty nippy as well.
    That brings us back to Gateshead! They play the ball around the park; have a very dangerous guy on the left wing.... Hey Ho here we go....

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

14. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Hell of a finish from their striker mind

15. Gastronomic

They looked quite a decent side.

16. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Captain, not been on your forum for ages, concentrating on the reds, forgetting about you blues, well i must say, its great to see both teams topping there leagues, here's hoping we will still be two leagues better than you, and we both know what that means, two champions in one season, and if the rugby boys do it could be a hat-trick, now not many cities will boast that in one season, best of luck guys.

17. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Braintree have a very good record in the last few seasons against the top clubs in the Conference (Luton, Cambridge, Wrexham, Grimsby etc) and on that evidence you can see why. I was impressed with Akinola and Marks, who as well as being physical had some good footballing ability.

We seemed to lack ideas at times and struggled to get going in the first half in particular. Gosling had an absolute stinker in the first half and I don't think he completed more than the one successful pass in the entirety of the first half, but to be fair nobody really took the initiative before half-time. But hey, it wasn't our best performance, nor was Saturday, but we are top of the league and on an amazing run of form. I actually think playing the likes of Gateshead, Eastleigh, Halifax and Macclesfield will suit us over the coming weeks because we've probably played our best football this season against the teams nearer the top.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  18. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

I wasn't there last night so can't comment on the game or performance but as I've stated before I don't give a toss how we play as long as we win. An old cliche but we have to play every game like it's a cup final. Keep winning by any means and get back in the league.

Chris-Gashead likes this.
  19. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Amen to that. Don't care if we win all our games 1-0, just want to get back in the league.

Keep it up DC and the boys!

Chris-Gashead likes this.
  20. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Yup agreed. Terrible 1-0 wins for the rest of the season will do me fine :)