1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We've had "who will go?" but...

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by bedfordcanary, Apr 22, 2017.

1. bedfordcanary

bedfordcanary Well-Known Member

Who do we think will/want to stay? Or who are the 12-15 players Webber thinks will stay?

Personally i see these as players i think will / want to stay:

Ruddy
    Pinto
    Bennett (squad player)
    Martin (squad player)
    Klose
    Howson
    Dorrans
    Tettey (squad player)
    Jo. Murphy
    Ja. Murphy
    Maddison
    Pritchard
    Wes (squad player)
    Jerome
    Olivera

We then have players like Godfrey and Thompson who are fringe players.

I know some disagree with me re Martin, Tettey and Wes but i feel they still have something to add. Martin bleeds yellow and green so will be a good player to have around the place, Tettey can do a job if needed) and Wes is about as good as back up gets for Pritchard.

As i have said on other posts, i feel we need:

2 CBs
    2 LBs (unless we keep Toffolo as backup... Djiks would be great as main LB if possible)
    1 or 2 CMs (better or as good as Howson to provide competition)
    1 ST (someone like Tammy Abraham would be perfect).

2. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

? Why's this off topic

DHCanary likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great post bedford and all i would add is whether some of the other under 23s (Ramsay, Efete, Grant, Adams, Cantwell and Jayeiismi, Morris) might be on the fringes of the squad.
    PS - I'm pretty sure ILD would agree with me if he was still posting!!!

PPS - For anyone in or near Norwich tomorrow evening - get along to CR to see our under 23s take on Brighton under 23s - tickets are free!!! I would normally go, but it's a bit of a hike from Korcula in Croatia! :emoticon-0102-bigsm <whistle>

4. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have a ball over there - and send the island my love, please.
    2013 when I went but I'll never ever forget it <ok>

please log in to view this image

JM Fan likes this.
  5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's not, so I've changed it!

I think that's a fairly realistic list, which we'll probably be one or two names away from. I could see us needing to sell someone we'd rather keep to fund some of the squad surgery though.

6. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Last day in the UK before returning to Nice - be glad to get back to a bit of warmth!! When I arrived here I was surprised to find our new Sporting Director as a near neighbour and equally surprised to find out that his family moved in two weeks before his appointment was announced - just shows that we do not often know what is going on in the background. I have established from another source that Dijks is quite open to a permanent move so you might be able to add that name to your list. The problem of compiling these lists is that you cannot force people to leave when they don't want to and/or nobody wants them for a sensible fee and the same wages. If, for example, Webber decided Oliviera was not wanted who would pay us what we paid for him and match the salary he gets here. On the basis of the two games I have seen whilst in the UK I would add Naismith to your list as I thought he was one of our best players in those two games. It is clear the crowd don't like him from the howls everytime a pass from him was misplaced and the lack of appreciation of all of the good work he did but his effort and running creates a lot of space for other players to exploit - especially Pritchard. Of the rest I did not think Bennett was up to scratch - an opinion I already had from previous seasons - and that Ruddy was still suffering from the jitters afflicting him for the last couple of years. Overall I thought that there was much room for optimism for the coming season as long as we get a decent Coach to organise things, a couple of decent new players and don't fall into the trap of playing too many youngsters at the same time by reducing the squad of experienced players too quickly.

7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Great post midway, hope your trip to Nice is nice! ;)

8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Superb post 1950 and as I've said elsewhere, I'm beginning to see what Naismith adds to the team now that Wes is relegated to sub (something I've been wanting for several months!!!).
    We most certainly need at least one new CB and if Morris isn't up to stepping up to be in the first team squad then we obviously need another striker.
    I've been to several of the under 23 games this season and my hope is that several of them are considered good enough to make that step up. <ok>

9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Great post 1950 and I agree would be a major piece of next season's jigsaw in place if Dijks can be convinced to stay. And what about the forgotten £7m man Wildschut? Looks like he's trodden the same, sorry, wasteful path as Canos and Pritchard in the pre-Irvine days. Why?
    Anyway, have fun back in the warmth of Provence <grr> ;)
    And if you could keep a beady eye on Nice, Marseilles and the mighty 'crocos' of Nîmes for talent and keep Stuart Webber in the loop...you're very welcome to pop over to blighty again sometime - he'll pay your fare! <ok> <laugh>

10. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I have yet to be convinced that Toffolo has a future with us. He is currently a bench warmer at Scunny. If we can somehow persuade Dijks to align his fortunes with the good ship Canary I can see no reason to keep him.

carrowcanario, DHCanary and JM Fan like this.

11. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

I have watched Nice at most home games and they have some decent players most of whom are probably out of our price range. You could do a lot worse than trying to pinch the Coach - no jokes please about bus passes etc! Favre is young, ambitious and a disciplinarian - he even controls Balotelli. He speaks perfect English and has said in the past about his love of the English game. He might feel that he has taken Nice as far as he can and perhaps it is time for a change but it would cost a bob or two to get him.

JM Fan likes this.
  12. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Keep him as an understudy to Dijks, he can learn and be a sufficient back-up. It would be the "cheaper" option, considering the potential number of players we may need to bring in. Besides who is likely to want to come here to be second-choice left back and be better than Toffolo

Walsh.i.am and JM Fan like this.
  13. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

My list is slightly longer than Bedford's, with 19 retained compared to 15, but that includes Dijks (hopeful that he'll stay). I'd also like to see Naismith stay (I agree with 1950 that the subtleties of his game are often missed by some fans) and Wildschut deserves a chance to show what he can do. My other difference is that I'd keep Ruddy and McGovern because if the defense is improved, they would improve as well and their competition for the shirt is a positive thing. I've also listed the young players who could potentially break through next season as well as the gaps where we need replacements.

GK Ruddy, McGovern, Matthews
    RB Pinto, Martin, Godfrey
    RCB Klose (if he stays), Martin, Bennett, Efete
    LCB Klose (if he stays), ________, ________
    LB Dijks (if he stays), _______, Toffolo
    CM Howson, Dorrans, McGrandles, Adams
    DM Tettey, ________, Thompson, Godfrey
    WR Jacob M., Naismith, Jayesimi
    WL Wildschut, Hoolahan, Josh M.
    AM Pritchard, Hoolahan, Maddison
    S Jerome, Oliveira, _______, Morris

IMO Maddison, Thompson, and Godfrey are already on the verge of the first team and the others listed could follow. Down the line there's also Middleton and Hlynsson who could be fast tracked. I've listed Bennett, but I'm beginning to wonder whether he could be another Jason Shackell, who looked good when young but failed to develop much further.

bedfordcanary and canary-dave like this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I can see Middleton being involved in the EFL Cup or whatever it's called and a lot of his coaching was under the guidance of Huckerby!!!

15. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Fun fact about Jason Shackell, he received a championship winners' medal and was relegated from the championship in the same season.

16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Right, guys.
    Instead of keeping it 'in-house', now's your chance to go interactive and fill in a list on the Archant site - I assume results will be published after voting ends?
    I got to 14 with no trouble at all, but you need 15 to submit it.
    Hmmm, Dorrans or Hoolahan, I pondered. But as we will (hopefully <yikes>)
    retain Naismith, Pritchard and Maddison...sorry Wessi! :emoticon-0106-cryin
    http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/...uld-you-keep-for-the-2017-18-season-1-4991041

Previous responses, to date on this graph (if the link works)
    Not a great deal of love or support for Naismith? :emoticon-0112-wonde
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...xwMBPLSpe3UL1o_QhuywuttLopz9yag/viewanalytics

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Does that beat big Seb, who got two medals, as technically he
    was promoted twice in the same season? <yikes>

18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'd sooner keep Naismith than Wes, but not many agree <yikes>

carrowcanario and goldeneadie like this.
  19. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

More people want to keep Michael Turner than Bassong?!

20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I'm totally gobsmacked that they got any votes at all.
    There's now't so strange as football fans Especially of the NCFC variety!! ;)