1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What Film have you just watched!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nomak, Jun 10, 2013.

1. A.L.D.O 4.1

A.L.D.O 4.1 1 of the top defendants in Europe

Hitchcock/Truffaut

This is a film about a book about a film maker. In 1962 François Truffaut did a series of interviews with Alfred Hitchcock. They discussed all his films and the outcome was a book Truffaut published that was to become essential reading for the the generations of film makers to come.

An excellent documentary that has lots of actual sound footage of the two great directors discussions. It also has input from some of today's greatest film makers like Scorsese,Fincher, Wes Anderson, Bogdanovich and Assayas.

Truffaut considered Hitchcock to be a genius, an artist who was never given the credit he deserved. Hard to argue with that when the guys mentioned above feel the same. Very interesting film this even if it is a bit of fan boy outing i didnt mind that because I'm one too.

8/10

DevAdvocate likes this.
  2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Silence 6/10

I think I'm being generous with the 6 tbh but it's Scorcese and I can't bring myself to give it any less. I was so looking forward to this, but left the cinema wondering what the **** I'd missed?

It's basically a group catholic priests feeling tortured watching other people getting tortured in 17th century Japan. Underlying all that is the deeper message of the film about questioning Faith itself, and there's definitely a message there to be told - the trouble is the film spends FAR FAR too long telling it. In the end when you reach the film's underlying message, it becomes an anti-climax, a damp squib and you're left wanting more - much more, which never comes.

All I can say is, if you never watch this film your life will not be any lesser for it.

3. A.L.D.O 4.1

Manchester by the sea

There is no doubt that Casey Afleck is a talented actor. He has been great in most of the roles I've seen him in. Tower heist being the exception to the rule. He is again terrific in this movie. The movie itself is not so much.

It's a slow, plodding bleak tale of tragedy and loss. It has the odd outbreak of humour but in the main it is utterly dismal.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad film. In fact it's filled with great performances Afleck being the standout. The dialogue is excellent too even if it is depressing as ****. Mind you it's far less depressing than tower heist was.

One to watch with the company of a very strong vodka.

8/10

4. A.L.D.O 4.1

Billy Lynn's long half time walk

Billy Lynn is a 19 year old marine who has been caught on camera being all brave and **** during the Iraq war. As is the norm in America Billy and his unit are shipped back to America to help in the war effort which leads them to be the half time entertainment at an American football match in Texas. Throughout the day Billy has to deal with chearleaders, a dick of a team owner (Steve Martin) an agent trying to get him and his mates a film deal(.Chris Tucker), his dementes sister (Kristen Stewart), psychotic security guards, his crazy buddies and his own head.

Ang Lee does an ok job on this one. It's a bit messy to be honest but when he is showing what really happened on the day of destiny through flashbacks he does a great job with the battle scenes. Joe Alwyn in the lead is excellent in his first big role and the supporting cast all do fine work. Ultimately though i was left a wee bit disappointed. The film is probably 20 minutes too long and suffers a wèe bit from scenes that don't really add anything to the story. Ang does like his long lingering close ups it has to be said.

Still, not at all bad movie and well worth a watch if you have two hours to kill.

6/10

5. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

You had me until Steve Martin.

Thanks for your input but I'm out.

6. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Dr Strange.

I was a big reader of the comics back in the day so I was looking forward to this and it did not disappoint. Cracking FX and a decent plot, one slight quibble is that all the spells and magic items seemed to be actual weapons, like shields and spears, knives etc. In the comics if was more likely to be barriers and enchantments, perhaps the odd monster, still, that aside I thouroughly enjoyed this. Cumberbatch is perfect for the role too.

8/10

A.L.D.O 4.1 likes this.
  7. A.L.D.O 4.1

Steve Martin is actually very good. He plays the football team owner who's a total dick. Good outing in a straight role.

8. A.L.D.O 4.1

T2 Trainspotting

Well that's a relief. They do an actually decent job of this follow up to an iconic original.

The first quarter of the film felt really episodic to me. Just jumping from one set up to the next with not a lot of filler to glue it altogether but once all the main characters have got us up to speed on what they have been up to in the last 20 years the film really takes off. An excellent story and script that is portrayed well by the old favourites.

Maybe Carlyle goes a wee bit too OTT with Begbie. Is that even possible?

Renton, Sickboy,Spud and Begbie may come back for another outing. After this one i wouldn't mind to catch up again in another 20 years.

8/10

9. A.L.D.O 4.1

Patriot day

The have brought the story of the Boston marathon bombing to the big screen added a huge dollop of artistic licence and made quite a decent film.

Marky Mark Wahlberg stars as a Boston city cop who seems to be in the middle of everything. Fact is it's a wonder he doesn't become the FBI's number one suspect as so much **** happens to him.

Wahlberg is a particularly annoying actor. He has done some great work like the fighter and lone survivor but he can also be a total stinker. Happily he lands somewhere in the middle in this outing. Although the plot makes his character increasingly unbelievable as the movie goes along. I say that but who knows, maybe the real Sergeant Tommy Saunders did take a leading role in the detection and capture of the dastardly bombers.

Anyhoo this is a very decent thriller with an excellent cast. John Goodman, Kevin Bacon and J K Simmons all make an appearance.

Worth a watch even with all the Hollywood bullshit inserted.

7/10

10. A.L.D.O 4.1

Legendary pictures have bought the rights to Dune and shooting starts this year on it. Denis Villeneuve will direct it.

Sicario and Arrival are both excellent films and Villenueve has just made the follow-up to Blade Runner so...Here's hoping.

DevAdvocate likes this.

11. A.L.D.O 4.1

The Great wall

As a rip roaring tale of daring do or a an all action monster movie then this is an ok effort. The CGi is a tad ropey and the European actors performances a bit wooden.

As a visual spectacle then it's excellent. Director Zhang Yimou knows how to fill the screen with beauty and colour. If you have seen House of flying daggers or Hero you will know what I'm talking about. This has it's moments but doesn't reach the visual spectacular of those two films.

The plot and script and believability of both let the film down. Well worth a watch though.

7/10

Treble likes this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Watched Chinatown which I've seen before. And then The Two Jakes which I've never seen before. Chalk and cheese and a perfect example of the difference between great direction and mediocre (made for TV) direction.

Would definitely recommend Chinatown for anyone who hasnt seen it. Arguably Nicholson's most underrated performance as well as just being a great film.

DevAdvocate and A.L.D.O 4.1 like this.
  13. A.L.D.O 4.1

A monster calls

An old.fashioned modern fairy tale this. A young lad dealing with his mothers terminal illness and being bullied in school is visited by an ancient monster that tells him three stories on the proviso that the boy well then speak the truth and tell his tale.

This is an excellent story and young Lewis McDougal is great in the lead. A thoroughly enjoyable film all round even if you have to keep the kleenex close by.

The CGi of the monster voiced by Liam Neeson is very good and the animation is excellent. The only negative would be Sigourney Weavers dodgy English accent but i can forgive that.

Thought provoking and original a very good watch.

8/10

Kubo and the two strings

A masterpiece. I actually thought this was art animation but no, it's stop motion. This is a whole new level of stop motion animation though. It really is a remarkable piece of work.

This is a must watch even if it's just to sit in awe of the skill that went into making it.

It's a good story as well by the way.

9/10

DevAdvocate and Treble like this.
  14. A.L.D.O 4.1

The light between oceans

If there's a film to sit and watch with the missus then this is it. A real tear jerker so it is. It's actually a really good film as well.

All the leads are great. Fassbender plays it low key as a man broken after 4 years on the western front who takes a job as a lighthouse keeper on a remote island off the Australian coast. The excellent Alicia Vilkander play the local lass he falls in love with and marries and takes to his island.

Things get all complicated and **** when a boat washes up on thier beech and drama ensues.

Very good stuff and a weepy the wife will be very grateful you picked to watch guys.

8/10

Treble likes this.
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Haven't see A Monster Calls but from your description it sounds a lot like Pans Labyrinth, probably not as dark, but sounds well worth watching for that reason alone. <ok>

16. A.L.D.O 4.1

Actually that's a good call. It is very Panish. If anything it's darker though. If you liked the Labyrinth you will like this.

Treble likes this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

One of my all time favourites <ok>

18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Talking of which I watched 12 Angry Men with Fonda et al on TCM earlier. Now that IS just simply brilliant.

DevAdvocate and A.L.D.O 4.1 like this.
  19. A.L.D.O 4.1

Watched it last week.on Kodi. One of the best.

Treble likes this.
  20. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hacksaw Ridge
    Excellent , well worth a watch 8/10

Fences
    ****e . 3/10

Founder
    Pretty good , 6/10

Patriots Day
    Good movie for a hangover , Hollywood ! Switch mind off and enjoy 6/10.

Deep water horizon.
    Same as above , 6/10