1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What Film have you just watched!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nomak, Jun 10, 2013.

1. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

The Magnificent 7: Dross. Every cliché and cinema trope ever seen, why did they bother?

4/10

2. A.L.D.O 4.1

A.L.D.O 4.1 1 of the top defendants in Europe

John Wick chapter2

Brutal.

7/10

3. The Ginger Marks

Johnny Frank Garrett's last word. reasonable viewing 6/10

4. DevAdvocate

Bone Tomahawk: As violent as it gets, Western/Horror, pretty good and it's got Snake Plissken in it which is always a bonus. 7/10

The Ginger Marks and Stumpy like this.
  5. A.L.D.O 4.1

I am Heath Ledger

Documentary about the enigmatic Australian actor who died suddenly at just 28. Interesting film that talks to his family and friends that gives an insight into the man. He seemm to have been a bit of a free spirit who was very loyal and generous to his friends.

7/10

Warmachine

Netflix movie produced by and starring Brad Pitt about American general Glenn McMahon. The commander of forces in Afghanistan for a short and eventful time.

This is a comedy and there are some pretty funny bits in it. Pitt goes full mental in his ott potrayal of the good General. Not knowing the guy i cant say if he has done him justice or not but it's all too out there to be honest. The film itself is pretty messy. Some good performances from the supporting cast especially Ben Kingsley playing President Karzia. Will Poulter also turns out as a confused goodam marine.

Worth a watch if there's nothing else available.

5/10

6. DevAdvocate

Triple 9 (on Netflix)

Corrupt cop drama of the style they made in the 70s. Very enjoyable with a cracking cast. Well worth a watch.

8/10

7. The Ginger Marks

Heartless Drama, fantasy, horror. Demons on the streets of East London. 8/10

Stumpy likes this.
  8. A.L.D.O 4.1

Transformers- The last cash in

Even by Transformers standards this film is utter ****e.

That's about it really.

2/10

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  9. DevAdvocate

The Mechanic: Resurrection

Having not seen any of the other Mechanic movies I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a budget Mission Impossible movie.

However, where the MI movies are far-fetched the Mechanic's are unbelievably fantastic and I don't mean fantastic in a good way. The plot is so thin it's almost invisible, the countless tropes and plagarisms, the laughably bad gratuitous love scene with Jessica Alba (does not even get naked). This is Mission Impossible for the Fast and Furious audience.

4/10

10. The Ginger Marks

Ghost House: Travellers to Thailand find out first hand about Thai superstition and Bhudism. Decent watch, well acted story. 7/10

11. The Ginger Marks

Death Note, Very enjoyable if you like the horror genre. 8/10

12. A.L.D.O 4.1

Stephen king triple bill.

The dark tower

What a shame. They had the chance to make a decent fist of this. They had an excellent cast. An excellent director. Ron Howard produced it ffs. Yet it's a big let down.

Edris Elba does ok as the gunslinger. Mathew McConaughy does about the same as the man in black. In fact every thing about it is...ok. It just isn't much like the actual books. Sure all the main protagonists are there and there's even a very impressive tower but the film itself is a mish mash of several different key events from several different books.

If you haven't read the books then you will probably find this film, ok. If you have read the books then, like me you will be left disappointed.

6/10

Gerald's game

A Netflix original film that actually sticks pretty well to the book. Not an easy task as most of the dialogue in the story happens in the main characters mind. But they do a good job coping with that considerable hurdle.

Carla Gugino does a fine job of potraying the unfortunate wife of Bruce Green's Gerald. Bruce also does good work.

It felt a wee bit like a made for TV movie tbh but still a decent effort.

6/10

IT

The pick of three by far. Actually was surprised how gruesome this film actually was considering all the main characters are kids. There is gore aplenty and a few genuine scary moments plus that fecking clown.

Really good adaptation and far superior to the original effort.

8/10

13. ArtisanWenger

ArtisanWenger Active Member

The foreigner,committed and against type performances from jackie and brosnan make it a fresh experience

Get going

14. A.L.D.O 4.1

Bright.

New Netflix film starring Will Smith. This has took a panning from the critics but i liked it. The not so Fresh Prince plays a cop in an alternative reality where fantasy beings exist. Joel Edgerton plays his partner who happens to be an Orc. **** hits the fan when a magic wand turns up on big Willie's beat and the two cops have to get all **** you looking at to protect it and stop the baddies getting their hands on it.

Pure popcorn stuff that doesn't hold back on the violence. If you leave your brain in the kitchen and just take it for what it is them you will probably enjoy it. From the same guy who made Training day and end of watch so if you have seen them you will know what to expect, with added Elves.

7/10

15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Sounds like it should be called CSI:Mordor.

I'll probably give it a look when I find it on yify.

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Bright was ok but just OK of go just a bit less than ALDO 6.8/10

Recently watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 7.5.10

La La Land 7.5/10

17. A.L.D.O 4.1

The Foreigner

Another Netflix offering this time Jacky Chan takes on the IRA when his daughter gets blowed the **** up by some dissident Paddies.

Unfortunately for Paddy Jacky is a former US special forces guy who was a bad ass during the Vietnam war. Tbf Big Willies film is a wee bit more believable than that but there ye go.

So, after getting the bums rush off the Met. Jacky packs his stuff and heads for Belfast to seek revenge. This is where he meets Pierce Brosnan who looks remarkably like Gerry Adams. Pierce plays a former IRA bigwig turned semi-legitimate politician who is a bit of a ****. Canny imagine who his character is based on.

Jacky boy gets all kungfooie on the baddies and makes Pierce's life a bit of a misery. So much so his Irish accent goes from the sublime to the ridiculous on occasion. The worst Irish accent from an Irishman, ever.

The holes in the plot are massive but Jacky is good. The fight scenes are also good. All in all it's not that bad a film to be honest. Just a wee bit stupid.

6/10

18. A.L.D.O 4.1

Justice league

Mmm not quite sure if i liked this. Not a patch on the Avengers movies I'd say. A lot darker though which seems to be the road DC are going down with these movies.

All the ingredients are there for an epic super hero movie. Good cast, great characters, all the action and big blowy up scenes one could wish for. Mibbe it was the baddy that didn't do it for me. Looked very CGiy if you get my drift. Plus they overdose on the smaltz a bit too.

Coulda and shoulda done better with this. I'm sure there will be multiple opportunities for them to get better in the future.

7/10

19. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

This is all a massive wind up, surely?

20. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

why?