1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What is now success?

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by josewwfc, Jan 20, 2015.

1. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

At the start of the season I think we all agreed that staying up and a midtable finish would have been success.
    Mathematically now we cant be relegated, so that goals been hit. Now what would people view as a success this season - promotion? playoffs?

for me finishing in the play-offs will be a big success this season but I honestly think being promoted is now a realistic target if we manage to keep everyone fit

2. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Would be disappointed if we lost in the play-offs but still an incredible turnaround from last season. We can't afford to let anyone else leave or i fear that could blow our hopes of a top 3 finish and injueies and suspensions of course.

3. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

I am with you mowgli the turnaround this season is remarkable and considering the small squad we have ga has done a great job. Play offs would be great anything else would be a bonus

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Question is, could we survive in league 1? I think to get promoted and then face relegation all season would not be good for the club, in any sense. Will we have the funds to ensure we stay up (eg could we afford the increased wages we would have to pay to retain decent players)?

My idea of success would be to stay in league football and to get on a sound financial footing so that that we can enjoy promotion and sustainable success in League 1

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  5. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

The trouble with football is you have to keep pushing & if it all comes together great the problem is us supporters who then get ideas above our football team level the list is endless Yeovil, Leyton Orient & Crawley are prime examples at our level. The first division great if it happens but us supporters do not get down if it then falls apart

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You are selling yourselves short all of you. What is the purpose of supporting a club? It's for moments like promotions and you have to take anything that comes your way with both hands. So what if it doesn't last at least you've been there and done that. Survival of your club is paramount so as long as that isn't put into jeopardy for the sake of chasing a lost cause then if I were you I'd be looking for promotion all day long.

Argyle have been in the second tier so many times in my time. We almost made it into the top league a couple of times in the past. We have also seen the wheels come off and have been back to the bottom league and it isn't a patch on the one above or the one above that. Have experienced promotion from this league a couple of different ways. Straight promotion as champions and also via a play off final at Wmbley. If I'm honest the best one was a day out at Wembley. If you win it's great and the club get a big payout as well from the prelim games and final. I'd take that everytime. But however you get there it's still a great feeling and sod next season. We got relegated again the season after the Wembley final but I wouldn't swap it.

You are one of the best teams in this league I've seen this season so far. Don't knock yourselves and winning is a great habit. Nothing to do with squad numbers either, it's quality and heart that counts along with a little bit of luck thrown in.

7. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

With Gareth's five and a half year contract surely Champions League

kiwiqpr likes this.