1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What is the long term plan regarding first team training facilities ?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by City Lover, Mar 3, 2015.

1. City Lover

City Lover Active Member

In light of Robbie Brady's unfortunate injury, I was wondering where do the first team squad see their long term future regarding training facilities?

Do we plan to spend more money on Cottingham? Do we aim to move the first team to Bishop Burton in the long term?

Personally, I find it strange that the academy are enjoying state of the art facilities at Bishop Burton whilst the first team are struggling on rubbish pitches at Cottingham. Indeed Steve Bruce seems to be getting very cheesed off with our current facilities. From being unable to train, having to call out the Gas Board, to having players disappear down black holes, it's obvious that addressing this issue needs to be a priority.

We all know that these training issues should had been sorted out during our last stint in the Premier League, but dodgy Bartlett and Duffen ensured that didn't happen. I suspect the long term future lies at Bishop Burton if they have the space ( can't we find a way to kick the eggchasers off there?)

At least the Allams, through their statements, seem intent on addressing this issue. For the sake of the players and management let's hope our training facilities improve as a matter of urgency.

2. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I don't think the Allams have mentioned training facilities have they? And even if they have, we might be relegated in a couple of months, the time to do it was months ago.

3. mauled1904

mauled1904 Well-Known Member

They've just paid for undersoil heating at Cottingham, haven't they? The rugby are moving to the old Ideal Standard on County Road South.

4. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

You would think they would address the issue of a hole. Cover it with a board rather than just leave it there. You couldn't imagine it would be where the players are supposed to go.

5. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I can't believe there's actually a massive hole in the pitch at Cottingham with Brady still stuck at the bottom.

It'll just be one of Bruce's strange sayings. He probably meant he stood in a divot in the grass or something.

HHH and Tonight We Dine In Hull like this.
  6. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

He accidentally fell in the hole could well be Adam Johnson's defence.

7. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

What happened to the land the club we bought in Melton when bought under Duffen for a training complex?

Was it sold when we went down?

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

We didn't buy it, we just had an option on it.

9. City

City Active Member

Bishop Burton is hardly state of the art?
    By all accounts more academy games have been called off there due to poor pitches then when they were at Ideal Standard..
    Plus it's such short term planning to rent a place for a few years?
    A new complex for the first team and academy should of been built or should be planned now to go forward.

Shapeshifter likes this.
  10. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The facilities at Bishop Burton are very good, I played in the Veterans Cup Final there a few years back, they have...

- 4 dedicated high performance grass pitches (including one floodlit match pitch),
    - a full size 4G all-weather pitch,
    - new modern changing rooms,
    - state-of-the-art sports and fitness centre with fitness suite, sports hall, aerobics studio, and physiotherapy rooms
    - strength and conditioning facilities
    - classrooms, meeting rooms and hospitality areas including the Sports and Conference Suite.

It's not a short term plan either, it's a long term plan which includes building a full size indoor pitch.

please log in to view this image

11. City

City Active Member

Sorry I can't agree..
    I'm sure the facility's were great for a veterans final but we are talking about facility's for the first team or academy of a team in the best football league in the world.
    The pictures look good but I'd like to see how many times the U18s have been able to play on the "show pitch" because every time I've been it's unplayable due to drainage problems.?
    They share the facility with a live farm, students everywhere, a lama and monkey enclosure next to the offices which is actually smaller than Ideal standard offices.
    The are OK facility's at best,
    you need a complex dedicated to professional football the lads there should be mixing with first team players and role models not farmers!
    Take a look at Boro's rockliffe park for example it cost £7m and has delivered 5 times that amount from academy players alone.
    Sorry but Bishop Burton is a short term fix that will never solve the academy's or first teams problems regarding facility's.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It might be an agricultural college, but there's no animals anywhere the pitch ffs.

13. City

City Active Member

It's a good college with good college facility's but it's nowhere near a good facility for a premier league football club.
    Top class changing rooms?
    U9s + 10s have a 10minute walk to there pitch over 2 car parks..
    11s,12s13,14s visiting teams have a 10 minute walk in the opposite direction over 2 car parks on Match days?
    It wasn't designed for an academy and it's not the answer it was the cheapest short term option they could find simple as that.

14. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

What if a horse comes onto the pitch during the first half? :eek: :p

15. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Aren't Burnley putting their PL money into their first team facilities? Perhaps we should have done the same and put some of the money into that.

16. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

17. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

Surely there is land available to the west of Hull to build a new training facility ? I thought Cottingham was only ever a temp thing , it certainly isn't up to Premier League standards . I guess nobody knows if the Allams are even staying at this point though

18. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

We should be aiming for nothing less than a category one academy.

As for the first team facilities. Never seem to hear much about them. Are we actually putting any significant investment into them. Must be embarrassing showing new signings around.

19. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

The pitches got relaid last year
    My daughter played in a cup final there and the pitch was outstanding compared to previous year
    As flat as a pancake

20. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I agree we should be looking to have our own all on one site. I doubt there's anywhere big enough in the Hull boundary, is there?
    Is the Melton option still available?