1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What the f uck are you having for Dinner thread..

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Sweats, Jun 13, 2012.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Like you say it's in everything and I'm being quite strict. I've just decided it's time to be healthy. I'm mid forties and not very fit, not much I can do about that as I have a lung desease and knackered knees, walking is about it fitness wise. I don't want to end up having a pull or something in my early 50's so I've taken that leap and it's all wholemeal pasta, brown rice, no sugar, fresh veg etc. I can cook so it's been quite good. I've gone as far as to ditch all the artificial crap so no skimmed milk, spreads or anything messed with.

It's a good life change and I lost 5lbs in the first week. I'm 15 1/2 stone now and will be happy getting to 14 1/2

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

One of the things I made recently which was superb...

Feeds 3 easy.

4 large free range eggs beaten.
    Fry onion, sweet peppers salt and pepper in rapeseed oil until soft and lightly coloured. Remove from the pan.

Fry the eggs until the bottom of the omelette is sealed and golden, add the peppers and onions again, crumble over some feta and finish under the grill, fold and serve.

Feta or goats cheese works so much better than the likes of cheddar.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Like a fritatta? Sounds nice.

I went through a decent spell of cutting down on carbs so also ditched bread and white pasta and rice but have fallen off that waggon recently. I need to get back to doing that.

I limit my sugar anyway. Haven't touched fruit juice in years and don't add it to anything.

I do eat crap food at will though, the main reason is having three young kids in the house. They are the only reason there are biscuits, cakes, sweets and chocolate in the house, I wouldn't go near that stuff otherwise.

My vice is the booze though and it's the reason I can't shed that extra stone. If I stopped drinking it would go but I don't especially want to stop so that's that.

Last night was an example, I'm currently working away so am away three or four nights a week. Which can get a bit dull. I go to the gym, play squash and when the weather improves will play golf but the simple fact is we have to go out once a week or else we'd all go mad down here. Going out involves at least six pints, usually more!!

4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I'm also not cutting down on the booze, I like drinking and I'm willing to limit other things but come the weeknd I'm cracking open beers and wine.

Curry is quite good on this diet been making some good bhunas but having chick peas in it and making my own flatbread with wholemeal flour, really easy and very tasty. The bread is so simple to make I'll never buy a nan again.

5. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Go on - how do you make the bread - might give it a try tonight with a butter chicken

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

1 Cup of wholemeal flower 1 tsp of salt 1 & 1/2 cups of water. (so 1 to 1 & 1/2 roughly of whatever measurements you use depending on how many you want.)

Add the water slowly while whisking and you should end up with a runny thin batter (bit thinner than pancake mixture).

Heat a small amount of oil in a non stick frying pan, pour in the mix and cook it on each side.

You want a tin bread as it'll puff up a bit, too much batter and it'll be sticky in the middle.

Just think pancakes.

Super easy.

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Just had a large plate full of tagliatelle bolognese.

Was very nice too.

8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Right, I've got some weight to lose.

Have taken my eye off the ball since Christmas and am now in need of a good stone to shed leading into the nicer weather.

Made a good start yesterday, had the first Sunday without at least a glass of wine with tea since **** knows when.

Small smoothies for breakfast and boiled egg snacks from here on in. Have to cut the crap out.

Any tips or are you all fat ****s?

9. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Gym Monday and Thursday, run on Tuesday, swim on Friday. Sorts me right out <ok>

Also find some healthy snacks that you like and make sure you have plenty of them on hand. Nothing ****s you up more than feeling peckish and there is nothing to eat but some chocolate or crisps that you then gorge upon.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I don't eat anything like crisps or chocolate in the week, I'd never buy them, but it's always around in the house when I'm home. I need to be strong and not pick at the kids food!

I go the gym three times a week anyway, although I've had two weeks off due to some niggles. I'll be there again tonight.

It's not exercise, I get plenty with gym, squash and weekend golf. It's 100% the booze which gives me the spare tyre. I've got to cut down on that and also not have the on the go McShit breakfast here and there.

I'm binning bread again as well, I've got back into the weekend toast habit.

11. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

My missus does Slimming World and I have to say (having tried all the other diets for years) it does seem to work. Losing weight is like giving up the fags - some people can just quit, others need patches for 22 years. I suppose it depends what type of person you are. She would be the patches type, so when she set about losing weight she didn't immediately cut out the crap that was causing the problem, instead she substituted everything with a healthy like-for-like so that she didn't feel she had 'gone without'. Out went crisps, in came raisins, out with the white bread, in came wholegrain and so on. She went through her entire daily intake and simply substituted anything unhealthy and fattening for a more healthy replacement. The key thing seemed to be loads of snacky things already available - carrot sticks in the fridge, grapes, stuff like that.

12. Stan

Stan Stalker

I've had a particularly intense episode of sciatica recently. There was one night that I thought something biblical was happening to me as I've never known such pain!

It's gradually eased but my left ankle is still pretty ****ed and will be for a few more weeks. That means no proper exercise (running) and having to try and be sensible about food.

Bollox really.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Just got back from gym.

3500m fast row and 35 minute run. That'll do after a fortnight off.
    The niggle I was resting appeared again, although not really bad. Even so, it doesn't bode well.

What's the tendon behind the knee? Well, it's that.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Anteria cruciate I think.

15. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's the ligament - the hamstring tendon is the one that connects the hamstring to the knee. There's also a muscle in there with an odd name as well, which sometimes gets injured.

Hour on the weights for me tonight, running tomorrow evening.

16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yep, my bollock <ok>

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, it is anterior but it isn't the ligament.

I'm no expert but I can tell.

It's popliteus tendon or something. It's ok, doesn't stop me doing anything as such it's just there. Niggling!

18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That's a muscle (I think), the only tendon that runs down the back of the knee is the hamstring. Wasn't paying attention before, watching Westham v Chelsea, sorry.

19. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The injury is popliteus tendonitis. The hamstring is a muscle surely? It's essentially your leg bicep.

20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Long long long time since I did biology but pretty sure the hamstring is a tendon which attaches the thigh muscle to the top of the femur and the base of the knee.
    The injury could still be a tendon even if the popliteus is a muscle as all (most) muscles are attached to the skeleton by tendons.