1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where do we need Improvements

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Hilts24, May 27, 2017.

1. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

For promotion.

The way I see it these players are key to Warnock and I expect all to be 1st team regulars.

Bamba , Morrison , Gunner , Ralls , Zahore.

Then Jazz , Peltier , Bennett with probably 1 other and he will choose full backs from those 4.

That leaves for me 4 players to make the 1st team real challengers and a couple more for back up.

Keeper - I expect us to sign Camp and 1 other , striker to back up Zahore - a creative midfielder and wide players will depend on if Harris and Hoillet sign up.

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What about Halford?.............<laugh><laugh>

In your 5 regulars you've got 2 CB's, 2 central midfield and a front man - that's fine for the spine down the middle of the pitch but it'll take more than grunt to crack this division next season. If we get Patterson or someone else like him then I think the FB slots are sorted.

We need a decent stopper at the back (bring back Marshie) and some guile to create something to win a game rather than just stop the opposition.

Not convinced that Hoilett is the player we need out wide nor up front with Zohore - much prefer to persevere with Harris. Noone must go and a much better all round creative wide man needs to fill his shoes. Kennedy might be up for it but from what I've seen of him I wouldn't chance it.

That leaves the vital midfield creative slot to fill. Gunnar and Ralls will get stuck in and run all day but that wont be enough. We need to blow the budget on a midfield general.

If there's dosh over, a decent experienced striker to slot in with Zohore that's not over the hill like Lambert. It doesn't have to be a big guy like those two. I'd go for a player with an eye for goal like our own Healey. If he was available from the start of the season I'd be prepared to give him a shot up there but as it could be Christmas before he's back anywhere near match fit, we can't wait.

It depends what Tan is prepared to stump up for the job next season because relying on Warnock finding "shrewd buys" all the time could be a mistake.

whiffletree likes this.
  3. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Never mind the players, work needed to improve the game plan. I'm sure Warnock was playing to what he had and wanted to get the 50 points on the board. Saw a bit of tinkering after that. With a tweak to personnel and a full preseason might we see more of what he wants rather than what he had to.

As said, add a forst choice no 1 and the spine is sorted. A playmaker a goal poacher and a couple wide men and that would do it for me.

Three at the back maybe?

4. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

Not sure how we're lining up to start next season however Warnock is a massive fan of the 4231 formation so i can see us lining up something like this first game of the season
    Keeper: ????
    Right back: Callum Patterson
    Centre back: Sol Bamba
    Centre back: Sean Morrison
    Left back: Joe Bennett
    Defensive midfielder: Aron Gunnarsson
    Defensive midfielder: Joe Ledley/Joe Ralls
    Right winger: Junior Hoilett/Kadeem Harris/Mathew Kennedy
    Attacking midfielder: ????
    Left winger: Junior Hoilett/Kadeem Harris/Mathew Kennedy
    Striker: Kenneth Zohore

5. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Aside from players I'd like to see City closing out games a lot better. Too many dropped points in final minutes. Best form of defence is attack. City too often invited pressure by playing too deep; watch the top clubs playing out games - they play as if it is the 5th, 24th, 56th, 78th minute whatever. Just keep on playing your normal game.

ps on players, need an experienced keeper, quick goal scoring winger who can do his defensive bit, a play making central midfielder and a striker.

6. ninian opinion

2 new squad additions. Not overwhelmed but am sure they'll do a job.

Expect to see another keeoer, winger, central midfielder & striker though as I don't think these 2 of the 4 players NW had in mind.

7. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I think a lot will now depend on who's staying and who's going. We are pretty late in posting this information. I saw an article yesterday saying only us, Newcastle and Huddersfield hadn't nailed their list to the changing room door and the last 2 have had a few other things on their minds.

Lots of speculation - Manga, Whitts and Noone in particular - but once we see who is through the door marked "no return" we will get an idea about the sorts of players Colin wants.

Both the guys signed up yesterday were flagged a couple of weeks ago so no real surprises and it wouldn't be a shock if we get the Scottish full back come striker??? mentioned a couple of days ago as Colin has apparently had "face time" with him.

However, the ones we are probably all interested in are the midfield maestro and striker.

8. ninian opinion

Rumours today include old chestnuts Johny Hayes, Sam Gallagher and of course Joe Ledley.

Also read somewhere that Whitts is off to Bristol City<yikes>

9. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Would suit him. No need to move house.

10. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Less of the house.

Oldsparkey likes this.

11. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Glad the Ledley rumours are going quiet.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  12. ninian opinion

The old chestnut Jonny Hayes is back in the rumourmill.

Danny Ward close to signing allegedly.

13. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nin - have a look in the sticky Transfer Rumours thread at the top of the page - it's all in there to follow. <ok>