1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Which is harder Running or Cycling?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Captain Hindsight, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight Active Member

Thinking of taking up some exercise and wondered what the pros and cons are so which is the easiest one?

2. Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight Active Member

My mate just did the 100 mile ride London and he said it was harder than running a marathon but he is sitting down and there are no big impact pressures on his joints.

3. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Running is cheaper fella.

4. Nolberto's Salsa Inferno

Nolberto's Salsa Inferno Well-Known Member

Hate running
    Love cycling

TheJudeanPeoplesFront likes this.
  5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Depends where you do it. How far you plan on going etc.

I do cycling in the gym, HIIT and with that you need some decent legs on you and a decent level of cardio. Breaking through lactic acid burn and getting your heart pounding at a high anaerobic level is psychologically a killer, your question asks which is easier so I doubt you want to start with this.

Running is awful for me, pulling all your upper body weight makes a long run much tougher than an endurance style 70k on a bike.

if you're a little unfit than the bike is the way to go, you see results on the screen that tend to please you, rather than running two miles and hanging out your arse after 15 minutes.

J. J. McClure likes this.
  6. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I'm a runner and have had all kinds of muscle and back problems. It's put me out of the GNR this year too.
    Work do a scheme where I can get a bike cheap so am tempted to get one.
    I have a feeling that those running injuries won't present themselves on a bike.

7. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Back pain from running is very common innit.

Cycling isn't the best for injuries either mind, ball chafe is pretty bad and it hurts a lot more when you fall off too!

Pulp likes this.
  8. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

I'm a runner mostly 10k due to back problem and a old football injury to my knee plus I cycle to work the odd day and I have to say I find running the toughest.
    Can rest on the bike down hill if you know what I mean.If you doing either one good on ya both great form of exercise.

9. D1ckAnderson

D1ckAnderson Member

Im a cyclist. Absolutely love it. I do HITT on a single gear trials bike up hill around Jesmond, Jesmond dene and Armstrong park - that really ****s me up. Road bike for the weekends.

You really grow to love cycling, and there's nothing better than starting your weekend bu doing 80 miles on a Saturday morning and having the rest of the weekend to plow you stomach with booze

If you do the bike to work scheme, you'll get a half decent road bike for a grand depending on who you go with.

I couldn't recommend it more

10. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

I've cycled for years and still love doing it (currently around the countryside of Hampshire / Berkshire) You get an enormous sense of freedom and, if you push yourself, accomplishment.

As a counterpoint to this I decided earlier this year that I would like to be able to do some kind of distance running instead of chasing a football about for 90 minutes so on the 20th April I started a 16 week training plan (using an app called endomondo) to get me up to running 10k by next Sunday. I personally find running harder but that's likely just due to the fact I've never stopped cycling since I was a kid really (well with the exception of the beer soaked years at uni) and running is new to me.

If you do decide to start running I would highly recommend you find a race that's a few months down the road so you have a goal to aim towards as it will be difficult to get yourself out in the rain training if you don't! My first race, a 10k affair, is on the 31st of August. I have the goal to get round it in under an hour and considering where I started 15 weeks ago - barely able to run (slowly) for 20 minutes, I'm pretty stoked to think I should be able to manage that on the day.

11. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Been into both at various points, cycling is better combined with working out for me, and doesn't involve going outside in the pouring rain, or winding up the noisiest bit of gym equipment in the world. Honestly, I wish they'd ****ing burn treadmills.

12. Schlem Boogerman

Schlem Boogerman Well-Known Member

Running kills me. Too many football injuries. Get a bike or two. I love the challenge of getting up hills and the buzz of flying down them at insane speeds. Drivers are ****in idiots mind. Of late I've had more enjoyment off road on the mtb in training for the coast to coast at the end of August than having to dodge ****tard motorists on the way to work.

I've never seen the point in running unless it's after a football.

13. Schlem Boogerman

Schlem Boogerman Well-Known Member

speaking of the coast to coast, I've been persuaded by work colleages to do it this year for charity.

Here's the link if anyone fancies donating a quid or two to a good cause.

http://www.justgiving.com/Nigel-Wall1

14. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

My missus never had mood swings during her monthly run.

JakartaToon likes this.
  15. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Neither have been easy for me since I hit my forties and became a fat bastard, but I used to regularly run half marathons and 10K's and loved it. No matter how fit I got though I could never cycle. I guess it's just different muscle groups, but as soon as I hit any sort of incline I'd be off and pushing.

The only thing I exercise these days are my demons!

16. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

With cycling there's generally more stopping you doing it, like if it's a pain to get the bike out the shed or you find you've got a puncture etc etc. I ride to the shops once a week but can't be done spending a grand on a bike. I got a decent one on ebay for about £130.

The bonus of cycling is that if you're really out of shape, you don't have that awkward thing of spending 30 seconds jogging past someone who's walking at normal speed in the same direction. Or stopping for a wheezing fit and having little kids shout 'keep going' at you. That kind of thing.

17. tommytoonAA

tommytoonAA Active Member

You have to go further on a bike to get the same kind of workout as a run but it's a lot easier on your joints. Costs quite a bit more to get started though so I'd recommend getting a second hand bike just to see if you like it before diving head on into it. I can confirm what Typical Juan said though... it flipping hurts if you come off the bike!

Having said all that, I love it and will be out at least twice a week for 3 hours or more at a time. Training up to do the Velodyssey next year (a cycle path down the length of France along its west coast). Those kind of goals are much more achievable on a bike if you've got a reasonable amount of fitness to start with.

18. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I suspect it will be a lot harder on the return journey with those 3 illegal immigrants hanging off the back of your bike - but good luck.

Dispicable_Tel and Pulp like this.
  19. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I'm a runner but have had to take more or less 6 months off after ended up on crutches after basically an over use injury. My brother in law does tri's and he says that any of them will tell you the cycle is the hardest bit. Much easier on your body tho. Cycle clubs are usually full of runners who had to stop.

20. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's not true - you also exercise our patience particularly with your cheating on the headline game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.