1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Which players would you like to leave NCFC??

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Who do you want to leave NCFC at the end of this season

1. Ruddy

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Whittaker

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  3. Martin

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  4. Bassong

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  5. Bennett

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Mulumbu

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Lafferty

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  8. Tettey

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  9. Naismith

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  10. Turner

28 vote(s)
    93.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Of course, there is one other major name not on the list. Matt Jarvis. Out.

2. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Yep - been out for all of the season thus far.

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Which is a shame, as it means frequently playing either Wes or Naismith out of position wider than they're best at. Semi-enforced square pegs :(

JM Fan likes this.
  4. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

If nothing else, going forward we really must stopping playing players out of position. If you're an AM and not good enough to get in the team in that role then you really shouldn't be kept in the team. Work harder in training, get better and become the best player at the club in that role. What sort of message does it send when you player out of position because they must be in the team (for whatever reason, i.e.they're captain or experienced) and you play them in place of another player that is working really hard to be the best they can be in their chosen role. Often the best team is not the team with the 11 best players and team cohesion is something that has been poor for the last season and a half.

canary-dave and goldeneadie like this.
  5. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

Of the list mentioned think we need a revamp in defence, only Bennett survives my choices, & also think we should let Lafferty go as 1 goal in 12 league appearances & 1 in 4 cup appearances is a poor return for this season. Am also on the fence about whether to keep Ruddy & Jerome as I do not think their form has been as good as in previous seasons, perhaps have them as squad players & not play them on a regular basis.

6. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I'm hopeful that Ruddy, with a good defence in front of him, could regain his pre-injury confidence, when he made the England squad, he did so on merit. The sort of defence we've had for a long time now would destroy the confidence of Lev Yashin!

carrowcanario likes this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

How true that is canario and AN has been guilty of some woeful decisions in his team selection trying to accommodate his 'favourites'/expensive failures.
    From the votes cast so far Jedi - Bennett is the clear favourite to stay and I tend to agree with your views on JR and CJ.
    I would have expected more votes for Naismith to go, but we'll just have to wait until the end of the season and hopefully our management team will be complete no later than Easter and they can get on with assessing the players etc. <ok>

8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Indeed, but it could well be RvW marque 2, whereby he leaves for peanuts as he's done boogie all to justify a decent chunk of the £8.5m we (foolishly) paid for him.
    If anyone is interested, I'd be surprised if they stretch past £3m to acquire his legendary 'services' :(

JM Fan likes this.
  9. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

To turn this poll on it's head, I also think there are some players AN should not have got rid of.I would have liked to see players such as Hooper, Johnson, Ofoe, O'Neil & Canos kept.

Of the players AN has got rid of, who would other Not606er's have kept?

10. carrowcanario

Canos & O'Neil

11. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Bradders and O Neil. Not sure why we bought Canos (I know we were not expecting the quick rise of the Murphy's although we saw their potential on loan last year or for Jarvis to have a repeat sick-note). Can't say whether we should have kept him or not as we never saw him play that much.

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So, this is martinPenney's thoughts on MFW - "For me, nailed on for the departure lounge are Michael Turner, Seb Bassong, Steven Whittaker, Kyle Lafferty and Youssouf Mulumbu. Apart from one stupendous season from Bassong and a wonderful assist at Wembley from Whittaker, all for various reasons have been abject failures we appear to have retained for misguided business reasons. Finance may well dictate the futures of Timm Klose, Steven Naismith and John Ruddy. I wouldn’t be that sorry to lose any one of them to be honest; my worry would be how much would we get for the trio? Possibly less than for Rod, Jane and Freddy, I’m afraid.
    Michael McGovern and Declan Rudd. They won’t both be here next season in my opinion. Nor will Tony Andreu and Conor McGrandles."

Quite an interesting selection IMO
    Article here - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...ebbers-on-his-way-whos-next-through-the-door/
    I would have liked to have kept Bradders, Ofoe and possibly O'Neill - it would have made more sense offering him a 2 year contract than giving Whittaker a 1 year extension!! <doh>

canary-dave likes this.
  13. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I would have liked to have kept Hooper, Johnson and Ofoe. Hooper and Ofoe were never really given a chance to show what they could to do, given a run a games I felt they would really have cemented their places in the team. Hooper was the best finisher we had.

14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Not too fussed about BJ, who has hardly pulled up many trees since leaving, but I agree with your other two.
    And when Tettey was out and Dorrans injured, AN was lamenting his lack of combative midfielders? Yet he let 2 leave in the previous window and Gary O'Neil gone too - I'd like to have kept him as well <ok>?

JM Fan likes this.
  15. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

BJ I understood letting go, as he was gonna struggle in the PL. Ofoe looked talented, but was a bit of a sick note and never played enough for me to really lament his leaving. As for Hooper, as much talent as there was there. Wednesday are not exactly playing him much and I don't think he is any better than a decent squad/bench option for any Championship side in the top half. o'Neil we surely could have kept relatively cheaply and had to be a better option than Dorrans or having 20 million attacking midfielders!

Bah!

JM Fan, ilovedelia and carrowcanario like this.
  16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Can I get him for plagiarism - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic..._if_i_was_the_norwich_city_boss_1_4952458????
    I quite like some of Ian Clarke's comments/justifications as to who we would keep and who he'd get rid of.
    Edit - And the results ARE in (so far) -
    STAY: Jonny Howson (100pc), Nelson Oliveira (99pc), Ivo Pinto (99pc), James Maddison (99pc), Alex Pritchard (98pc), Jacob Murphy (98pc), Josh Murphy (97pc), Ben Godfrey (96pc), Mitchell Dijks (94pc), Louis Thompson (92pc), Harry Toffolo (92pc), Wes Hoolahan (90pc), Cameron Jerome (86pc), Declan Rudd (75pc), Yanic Wildschut (73pc), Ryan Bennett (72pc), Timm Klose (70pc), Alex Tettey (65pc), Graham Dorrans (61pc), John Ruddy (55pc), Michael McGovern (55pc), Conor McGrandles (54pc)
    GO:Michael Turner (96pc), Seb Bassong (94pc), Tony Andreu (90pc), Kyle Lafferty (89pc), Steven Whittaker (89pc), Youssouf Mulumbu (77pc), Paul Jones (77pc), Matt Jarvis (74pc), Steven Naismith (70pc), Russell Martin (55pc)

I'm not sure how Ian decides why Ruddy, McGovern and McGrandles should stay and yet Martin should go - as they're all on 55% or less/(fewer)!!!! <doh>
    PS - I'm surprised to see the percentage wanting Wes to stay so high and REALLY don't agree with that one.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Article about our dire goalkeeping situation, which includes the paragraph:

"Ruddy? I still think he’s our best option. Burton’s second goal in our recent abysmal away defeat aside (if you remember it was kind of sandwiched in-between the abysmal away defeat to Rotherham and the abysmal away defeat to Sheffield Wednesday – both a little way before the abysmal away defeats to Aston Villa and Huddersfield), I don’t think he’s been glaringly responsible for too much this season.

When he’s in form he’s still one of the best keepers in this division, and if we can side-line the absolute circus that he’s had to play behind for four years and bring in some defenders with more backbone than a jellyfish, he should be good enough." <laugh>
    http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...ts-and-evidence-against-mcgovern-are-damning/

JM Fan likes this.
  18. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Ruddy might well be one of the best in the division when on form, trouble is he hasn't been on form for 3 or more years. I think we should let him go, Rudd too, then keep McGovern if we can sell him as back up with Jones/Mathews 3rd choice. But we definitely need a new no1, because no one on our books is up to it in my umble.

Bah!

19. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

McGovern seems really poor to me. I have seen him make some really decent saves but some of the goals he has let in, I think you should expect any keeper to save at this level.

Ruddy or Rudd would get my vote for number one, preferably we would bring in someone new.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. carrowcanario

I pretty much agree, however I'd keep Ruddy and replace Rudd with an up and coming young keeper, McGoven can go. Whilst Ruddy's performance over the last couple of seasons hasn't been great, I'm not sure any keeper would be great playing behind our defence, he has at least shown in the past he can play to PL standard and as such at least has the possibility to get back to that standard. I don't see Rudd as a Championship standard keeper with potential to be a PL keeper and at 26 I don't see him as one for the future. If he's going to be good enough should we get promoted to the PL then he really should be playing at a much higher standard than he is now.

So for me Ruddy, New, Jones or New, Ruddy, Jones

JM Fan likes this.