1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Which players would you like to leave NCFC??

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Who do you want to leave NCFC at the end of this season

1. Ruddy

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Whittaker

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  3. Martin

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  4. Bassong

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  5. Bennett

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Mulumbu

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Lafferty

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  8. Tettey

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  9. Naismith

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  10. Turner

28 vote(s)
    93.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Absolutely Cromer and I get the impression that SW is just the guy to make those tough decisions - should RM stay as an ambassador or similar?? I'm not sure how he'd feel about such a role.

Edit - An excellent article from Melissa in today's EDP columns - "The roles of Ricky Martin, Lee Darnborough and Tony Spearing may have been obvious casualties in Webber’s expected shake-up, but the fact that they have departed so quickly is a positive sign that the ex-Huddersfield man is wasting no time. In the case of Martin in particular, who had served the club since 2001, it’s an encouraging hint that there will be no room for sentiment in the months to come.
    That same approach must be taken towards a squad of players which has become littered with individuals whose worth to the club has become increasingly questionable. City’s central defenders, no matter what the partnership, have made frequent mistakes for the best part of two seasons.

It will be interesting to see who, if any, of Saturday’s back four will start the next campaign in yellow and green."
    I think that last sentence says it all. <ok>
    Full article here - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...city-now-it-s-over-to-you-mr-webber-1-4978027

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He probably feels he has a season or two left as a player - which may well be the case, but he'd have to take a substantial drop in divisions* and wages to make that happen.

(*Ideally not with NCFC <yikes>)

JM Fan likes this.
  3. bedfordcanary

bedfordcanary Well-Known Member

I can't understand all the Wes bashing. He and Martin are long standing players at this club and have stuck with us during highs and lows (unlike some players).

Wes has been one of, if not the, most consistant performer this season!!

Yes, Russ hasnt had such a good time of it but just listen to his interviews.... he bleeds yellow and green!

We have had much worse than these guys this season and previous seasons.

4. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

But we've lumbered on with ostensibly the same ageing squad now for around 3 years, give or take the odd departure and arrival. Do you not think it's time to move the club forward - with largely new personnel and hopefully in a new, upward (as in 2 years ago) direction?
    Why bother with the new structure and a new head coach if all they're going to do is trot out the same players season after season.
    (And to be fair, 'trot' is about all Wes and Martin can manage, these days - their galloping and even cantering days are behind them <ok>)

carrowcanario likes this.
  5. bedfordcanary

Perhaps their best days are behind them. But Wes still has plenty to offer and to disregard what he and Martin have done for us would be akin to Rodent sending Hucks off unceremoniously.

We have players like Lafferty, Naismith, Bassong, Bennett and others whohave provided much less joy for us fans over the years and who are on huge wages. THESE are who we should be focusing on imo.

DHCanary and ncgandy like this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I'm not disregarding anything, they've both been terrific servants to the club.
    But as I tried to say, there's absolutely no point letting sentiment get in the way of progress.
    I'm all for Wes helping in a largely coaching role and Russ could do P.R. stuff - his forte recently, but in terms of pitch time, I hope their days are numbered.

carrowcanario and goldeneadie like this.
  7. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Wes consistant, bloody hell, I've just spat tea all over my keyboard.

I think you're confusing the past, ie. what Hoolahan & Martin have done in the past and the future. Putting aside emotion both players have played a significant part in our recent history as for the future they have a very small part to play in that if any.

I don't think anyone question Martins commitment to the club, just his ability to play for us at championship level.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    canary-dave and Walsh.i.am like this.
  8. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Given that we are clearly a club in transition after a disappointing season, changes will certainly be made. With regard to our AM options, Wes, AP and JM, a transition is certainly going on, but I'm not convinced that AP is yet ready to take on that role on a consistent basis and JM has just made his league debut in that role. AP can be brilliant one week and disappointing in his next appearance. The same could be said of Wes on occasions, but IMO, he is still our best option at AM. Both AP and JM have the ability to develop further over the next season, but we need results from the off.

As for Martin and Bennett, I have said on other threads that they haven't shown enough to be our first choice CB's for next season. If Klose stays he could be, but we'll still need a quality left-sided CB to come in. If Klose leaves, then we'll need a quality right-sided CB as well. At RB, I'm happy with Pinto as first choice with Martin and Godfrey providing back-up. At LB, I hope SW can persuade Dijks to stay, but even if he does, we'll need another LB to come in with Toffolo or another as back-up. Those should be the priorities, with a DM to replace Mulumbu and a third striker being the others.

bedfordcanary likes this.
  9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Bedford, but Wes's best days are DEFINITELY in the past and there's AP and JM ready to take his place!!!
    Of those I've highlighted, only Naismith ISN'T out of contract, so I would imagine the others plus Whittaker will be leaving at th eend of this season.

Totally agree canario!! <ok>

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just seen this article from PD and AI’s thoughts on Rusty - “I think he has been a great servant,” said Irvine. “He is a great captain on and off the pitch. Any player who appears 300 times for one club has achieved something very special. It is becoming more and more rare for that to happen. I don’t think you will see too many doing that in the coming years. It is a fabulous achievement that he should be immensely proud of.
    “I am sure he has an awful lot more games in him. That becomes someone else’s decision in terms of the future but the fact is he has had a lot of managers here so he has amassed those games under a lot of different people who thought he was worthy of playing when he was in charge.
    “I would expect he is someone the new head coach would be looking at and considering going forward.”
    Errrm - it's a NO from me, unless it's in a non-playing role!!! <yikes>
    I'm NOT arguing that he has been a great servant, but ............

11. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I'm happy to read Ivo Pinto hopes he is part of NCFC next season, I'd definitely want him to stay! <ok>

KIO and JM Fan like this.
  12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just the type of player we want to be at the heart of the team and let's hope a few others such as Howson, Pritchard and Oliveira 'nail their colours to the mast' as well.
    If we get those along with the twins, JM, Thompson and Godfrey next season, we'll have the basis of a reasonable team. :emoticon-0100-smile

canary-dave likes this.
  13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Intriguing and thinly-veiled hint that the axeman is going to take few prisoners this summer.
    Stewart Lewis of MFW fame has spoken to both Stuart Webber and Steve Stone, results to be published some time next week. Will ipload both as and when <ok>
    Apparently Naismith is on circa £45k a week - well, best will in the world, we can't sustain that.
    Plus his wife has never settled here, apparently. Will he be one to be offloaded, at which point Pritchard and Maddison can spend far more time at the party? Fingers crossed.

From Gary Gowers column, below.
    http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...ithful-more-glimpses-of-what-might-have-been/

14. bedfordcanary

Players id like to leave:

Turner
    Klose
    Whittaker
    Bassong
    Mulumbu
    Naismith
    Lafferty

There are probably one or two others but i feel that most of our squad are ok... we just need players to provide competition for places not just back up.

Some of those id like to stay (Martin, Tettey, The Murphys and Wes for example) i feel are very good squad players but we need better. Martin should be shifted into the Bassong role of back up CB, Tettey to the Mulumbu role of back up CM (or away game player), the Murphy's could play a similar rotation role to this year and Wes back up to Pritchard/Maddison.

We need two CBs, a permanent LB, LB cover (or use Toffolo), another CM to give competition to Howson and Dorrans and a striker (Tammy Abraham for me, if possible!)

15. carrowcanario

Personally I hope the cull goes a bit deeper with ideally Martin, Hoolahan & Tettey all moved on. I'd rather retain Klose than Martin and Naismith rather than Hoolahan. I'd also add Jarvis & Bennett to the to go list. I totally agree that if we retain Martin, Hoolahan & Tettey then it should be with the intention of them being squad rather than starting 11 players.

16. bedfordcanary

Genuinely cant believe what i am reading. I know Wes has his off days but he has definitely been one of our best players this season. I agree that Pritchard has overtaken him in that role but id defo keep Wes as back up for him and JM. Not many better than Wes in the 10 role in this league imo.

We have far more pressing matters than to get rid of Wes and RM! Lafferty, Bassong, Turner, Whittaker, Mulumbu, Klose and Naismith all out before even considering Wes and RM for th chop.

ncgandy likes this.
  17. carrowcanario

Would agree re Lafferty, Bassong, Turner, Whittaker, Mulumbu, I also think Tettey needs to go.

Can't understand why you'd want to get rid of Klose instead of Martin.

Would agree re Hoolahan if we didn't have Pritchard & Maddison. All 3 in my mind fulfill very similar roles and I don't think we need to keep all 3, especially when we have others options for their position. Hoolahan like Martin has had his day they are both only going to deteriorate over the next 12 months.

Naismith is a strange one I thought when we bought him it was a decent buy, but pretty quickly thought we made a mistake, since AN has gone, he seems to have got better and as he's not out of contract and I don't think we'd get a decent offer for him, I'd be inclined to keep him.

18. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Given that SW has very recently said that he does not expect more than 12 - 15 of the current squad to be with us next season, this window is looking to be very interesting, Given that we will be financially constrained, well I would assume this to be likely, I can see, hopefully, a few youth being promoted to the first team squad.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

He certainly put a decent shift in last night and I think he plays better alongside AP than Wes.
    Overall, if Klose wants to stay, I'd rather he stayed before Martin - but I can see this debate will continue until we see who does leave and who stays!! <ok>

20. carrowcanario

I don't think that's quiet right GE. My understanding is that Webber said: “I’d say 12-15 of those in the programme from tonight.” refering to the Brighton game. In which case I assume what he meant was of the 18 who were listed in the programme, somewhere between 3 & 6 would go.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017