1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who do you want as the new manager?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think we're in unanimous agreement that Mick McCarthy has run his course at Ipswich Town and, at best, will be departing us this summer after securing our status as a Championship side for 2017/18 (assuming we survive, which I think we will, comfortably).

But there seems to be an absence of one stand-out favourite successor being suggested across many Ipswich Town forums. Here are some of the contenders:

Danny Cowley
    Danny and his brother engineered two impressive performances, and ultimately, victory over us and Brighton in the FA Cup, as well as establishing Lincoln at the top of the National League, whilst advocating an attractive, possession-based footballing ideology. However, will he win the respect of the professional footballers at Portman Road, can he make a three division jump, and will he have the right contacts to establish an effective coaching team?

Nigel Pearson
    Laid the foundations for Leicester City's success and fits the straight-talking, experienced manager mould. Failed to impress at Derby (they were 20th when he left, despite spending millions), and it remains to be seen whether he can build a competitive squad on a budget.

John McGreal
    Former Town defender has been doing a decent job at Colchester United in League Two. Started slowly, but has them now chasing play offs. Again, could be too soon a job for John, considering his lack of experience, but should be popular with supporters, and would offer a break from hiring a big name manager.

Tony Mowbray
    Apparently came close a couple of times in the past at being given the Ipswich job. Close friends with Marcus Evans, likes attacking football, and has links with the club. His managerial record is a bit patchy, and disappointed in his two recent managerial jobs at Middlesbrough and Coventry.

Tim Sherwood
    Advocates attacking, entertaining football and did a decent job at Spurs. He also likes to give youth a chance, although he has vulnerable for being ridiculed with some bizarre media appearances. A big profile, however his CV was blemished after the fallout at Aston Villa.

Gary Rowett
    Following his dismissal from Birmingham (and their subsequent inability to win a match, at time of writing) certainly bolsters his reputation. Worked well on a thin budget and got Birmingham competing for play offs. Also appears to bring through young players. However, his direct, prgamatic style of football is similar to McCarthy's, so fans of attacking football will likely prefer somebody else.

Who would you prefer?

2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

I also think you should have included "Who do you want as the new owner".

Out of those on the list I would pick Gary Rowett all day long.

As an outside punt I wouldn't mind Shaun Derry from Cambridge United as he plays attacking football and my Cambridge supporting mate reckons that he has done an amazing job with limited resources.

3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

As Warky says, out of that list, I suppose Rowett would have to get my vote. But, someone who I can't believe has been out of the game for so long, and who I'd love to see as manager, is Hoddle. Plays the time of football we were used to back in the day, has an excellent footballing brain, is English, and seems to have the respect of pretty much all involved with the game.

4. johnnywarksmoustache

Why hasn't Alan Curbishley been mentioned?

5. stretchyboy

Or Aidy Boothroyd.....actually, on a serious note, when he was at Watford, I always thought he would go on to bigger and better things, and could possibly be a future England manager...oh how times change.

6. Nuggets

Would fans not get tired of Rowett's style of football though? I guess it's irrelevant if we're challenging the top six.

I have a horrible feeling that Mowbray will get the nod though. Appears to tick a few of Evans' boxes (available, cheap, attacking football, connection to Ipswich etc).

My personal preference would be a younger manager from the lower leagues. I missed Darrell Clarke, Bristol Rovers manager, from that admittedly hastily compiled list (I was bored at work). He's got a rising reputation and could fit the bill.

7. johnnywarksmoustache

Mogga is yesterdays man what we need is someone up and coming, not on their way out.

Nuggets likes this.
  8. Nuggets

Exactly my thoughts, Warky. I just feel that Evans will hire Mowbray. Not my personal choice.

9. johnnywarksmoustache

There are some fans advocating a "Dream Team" of Burley and Holland! <yikes>

10. Nuggets

Haha! A 'Dream Team' that screams relegation.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

What about Wagner from Huddersfield?

12. stretchyboy

Paul Clement?

13. johnnywarksmoustache

Wasn't she the Fat Old Bird off Eastenders?

fieldmarshall likes this.
  14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

We'll still be on a hiding to nothing whoever we get.
    No doubt somebody else can get us playing better footy but without decent financial backing we'll still struggle at Championship level.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  15. Nuggets

I don't think Wagner or Clement would realistically view us as a step up from where they are. Clement is at Swansea and if he does well, will stay there. Wagner will not be short of suitors when he moves from Huddersfield (he can probably pick most top flight German clubs to move to) and if Huddersfield finish in the play offs, he'll be snapped up by a bigger club.

16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

The question was who do you want, not who will come <ok>

17. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I'm sure terry connor would take it. Knows the squad and ME could get him cheaply<yikes>

18. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Martijn Rueser or Taricco

19. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Nobody with any ambition would come, we would just get someone whos out of work and willing to take a job, any job.

20. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I was very impressed with the interviews with Danny Cowley before and after the FACup ties.He seems to be an intelligent,progressive manager,motivating a group of ,seemingly, lower quality players to performs as a unit,well above their status.In both games against us it was apparent he had a game plan to win not just stop us and had worked with the team to execute it.The subsequent result against Brighton and Lincoln's success in the League would indicate it wasn't a flash in the pan.
    The only question is,why would he want to work with a disinterested owner like ME and take over a sinking ship like Town?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017