1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who still thinks we have had a good transfer window?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Cest Advocaat, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great summation Funky. In spite of today, I'm very quietly confident.

I was well happy with our first half performance. About 65-70 minutes in, I was screaming too deep. We're defending too deep. There were tired legs out there at that point. Catts came on and later Rodders came on but they didn't change the course of the game. A bit disappointed with some of Lens's touches, but they'll come.

Defoe should've scored and later, gone down on the tug.

I'm not deflated though. I'm pretty sure every one of those players are going to gutted with the result after that performance. And that will motivate them massively.

Brian Storm likes this.
  2. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I'm expecting them to go the journey in January mate, or at least i hope so to make way for some new blood. After watching todays performance, part of me is intrigued to see how a fully fit Fletcher would get on in that team.

3. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

Very short and one sided to only look at players bought. For instance let's look at our deficiencies have they been properly identified and corrected? For me around 70% yes but we are still short in central midfield, centre back and left back. At this moment we a dropping points due in part to these area.

For the record I am actually over the moon with our approach to games, attacking and direct. We are making plenty chances and have quality in the final third, hopefully we can move players on and hang on until January.

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I think it's a tad unrealistic to expect us to recruit virtually an entire teams worth in one window and move enough out to balance the wage bill. We were never going to address every problem adequately, our squad was that poor. Dick said he wanted 6 he got them, then realised it wasn't enough wanted a couple more, he got them. He was firm in this. I'm not going to question the man, he knows more about managing football team than a 1000 fans put together. Rome wasn't built in a day. It was always going to take multiple windows to turn us into a mid table side.

5. John Cardew

John Cardew Well-Known Member

Can't see you lot going down with the window you've had. First time in about 5 years I've been of the opinion that you have enough to stay up, so start ****ting yourselves now <laugh>

6. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

As Dick has said himself, we are making small steps and that's all we can expect from this current squad. As Bri said, we were never going to address every problem, we just don't have the recourses, we have to build slowly mate. Small steps.

On yesterdays performance we have enough to comfortably stay up and i'll be delighted if we're sitting anywhere around 16th or 15th come the end of the season.
    January could be a big window for us, we need to shift the dead wood and create space for new signings. I'm not expecting massive leaps into the transfer market, but i suspect we identified a few that never came off in the last window. My guess is that Dick already know's who or what he wants and he will be asking Mr Short for more money.

Small steps mate. Give this team time to gel and i think we will all agree we have made improvements.

Brian Storm likes this.
  7. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

So M'Vila, Olo and Lens look as if they are going to make a big difference, Borini showed energy. One from Catts, Gomez, Larsson and Rodwell for the last midfield starting spot. All of our midfield yesterday failed to track Mason run for his goal. Should he have been sent off for the tackle on Borini earlier?

We have played badly and lost yesterday we had our best game of the season so far and lost. We have to start winning

8. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Left Back is the main worry, but other than that I think we had a great window and we now have a great depth to the squad. We could also do with another striker like Defoe in the team, but I reckon Lens, M'villa, Borini etc will soon start chipping in with goals, so not as desperate as we were last season.

9. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

100% yes - has made me regret applauding him from the field - hope the injury is a lengthy one as we don;t need dirty bastards like him - had Cattermole made a similar challenge on a spurs player the media would be begging for him to be banned! And we didn;t even get a free-kick FFS!

Deletion Requested1 likes this.
  10. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

True & that ****er ref was quick to book Borini for a ****ing nothing challenge.

11. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

My fear is that he would ruin it, the man is a waste of space great ability lousy attitude, wotal tanker.

12. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Spurs fans think there was "nothing in it" - Ev en the Daily Mail think he should've been sent off and they hate us!!

13. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Wonder what Cest makes of it now.

He was probably at the match yesterday.

Deleted likes this.
  14. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

There is a player called Duncan watmore who for some bizarre reason cannot start a match and must be the fittest player at the club, and he was brought on too late, and the Cattermole sub was a mistake, he let the Spurs player through to score. Borini nearly had his leg took off yet the ref did nowt as usuall.

15. Brian Storm

He's not shown his face since we started showing promise with the draw against Swansea. Sure he's been conveniently more and more busy as our signings show more and more class.

16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Sure he still reads. Be intersted on his view as to progress or not.

17. Brian Storm

My too, after such strong early assessments, you'd think he'd follow them up regardless of form, improvement or points tally.

18. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

All Cest has to do now, is come on and hold his hands up that he jumped the gun again. Admit that he got his knickers in a twist and called our new signings wrong as well as saying Dick would be furious. Dick has come out and said he doesn't blame Ellis for not throwing money at it and then rightfully had a dig at the previous managers by saying look at what he has produced for very little compared to the money wasted on certain players in the past.

If he does that, it will be accepted and we'll all move on and stop talking about it, as always <ok>

Billy Death likes this.
  19. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I had no right to speak for everybody there. I'll accept and move on, no worries <ok>

Billy Death likes this.
  20. Brian Storm

I'm trying to stay civilized but he set up this subject up, we were always coming back to it no matter what and I know full well there would have been a stream of new threads(like the very angry 'don't anybody tell me' thread which was frankly pathetic) from him had the form remained disastrous.

He started this subject and it will be on running for the season. He should rejoin it. We're going to hit better form, we're going to return to the disastrous form at some point too. New signings are going to hit poor form and they'll get better too, it's the nature of any club who isn't Citih. But it will be ongoing regardless. The signings are here and we'll be assessing them throughout the season. I'm trying to remain respectful despite him mocking my home life but a man should stand by his comments, not hide.

Unless of course he's not here because of serious problems, touch wood. Hope everything is ok.

Deleted likes this.