1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who was worse? Cabella vs Thauvin...

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Bob Loblaw Lobs Law Bomb!, May 22, 2016.

1. Bob Loblaw Lobs Law Bomb!

Just saw an article about these two and given that we'll likely never see either of them in the black and white again, I feel an urge to ask, which one of these players was worse?!

I can't remember two players who seemed so promising, fail to deliver on such a catastrophic scale!

For me Thauvin takes the title due to his dire attitude and THAT performance against Sheffield Wednesday!

2. Heed

Heed well known cheat

To be fair, Thauvin only featured in a dozen or so games, so its difficult to assess how bad he could have been.

Both of them will probably have decent careers and look at their time at Newcastle United as an enlightening and financially rewarding period.

3. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Apparently he played really well last night, in the final against PSG. He scored the equaliser in the first half.

4. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Thauvin looks more suited to the PL than Cabella but was never given a chance. Think we may get to see him in more detail next season!

5. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Hope not, he's the laziest bastard I've ever seen.

6. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

From what I saw they are both crocks of dogshit. Thauvin might do ok in the Championship though, it looks more like his level. Either way, he looks like a kernt.!!

7. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Cabella was to lightweight and looked seriously shocked whenever another player so much as brushed against him. Not really suited for the PL.
    Nevertheless he at least tried and seemed to want to do well.
    Thauvin never wanted to sign for or play for NUFC, and as soon as the going got tough, his head and game dropped off the radar.
    So for me it's a case of two really bad buys, Mr Carr and of the two, Thauvin was the worst by a country mile.

8. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

I always thought he looked like the sought of person you can imagine being a One Direction fan boy.

9. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Neither were given any time despite years of evidence that it's required for many foreign players.

Lamella springs to me mind at spurs recently

Warmir Pouchov, haslam and Flash like this.
  10. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Thauvin played well in the cup, I think he would be a standout player in the championship...

Flash likes this.

11. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Cabella was given some opportunities and seemed unlikely to adapt to the Premiership, though with some players it does take more than a season to be fair.

Thauvin had flashes of good play but wasn't the correct player for a relegation fight so was jettisoned. I don't think he's a bad player and will be someone who plays for decent clubs throughout his career - just no point trying to graft this type of player onto our team when what we needed was solid defenders and consistent performers. He's the kind of player you dabble with AFTER you have the solid team.

12. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the consensus here. Cabella didn't look like he could adapt to the Premier League. With Thauvin going on loan so soon after he got here I do wonder if he had trouble settling over here. If his heart wasn't in the move then maybe it would never have worked out, although saying that, if nobody wants him he'll be back at Longbenton on 1st July with the rest of them, preparing for a season in the Championship. Could do him the world of good a year in the second tier.

Flash likes this.
  13. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'm not sure. We gave one 6 games and the other one season. Given all we know about adapting to the league, I vote that Newcastle's management of our budget and players was worse than either. They were bad buys because we needed here and now players.

14. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Cabella seemed to be settling in a bit towards the end - got a good goal against Hull, than looked very good in the away game against Chelsea.

Thauvin looked completely out of his depth from the start though and never improved.

Both seem highly unsuited to the English league.

15. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

Because of that game against Chelsea I think Cabella was the better player, he was terrifying that game, if he played like that on a weekly basis we would have sold him for £25m + by now. Then again Thauvin's debut against Northampton wasn’t bad (albeit the opposition wasn’t great)

Both are very talented and I think are good enough (if given enough time) but they are luxury players, you need 10 other players on the pitch willing to cover and run their balls off to afford the one luxury player who might at some point pull something off. Kind of like Wijnaldum this year or Ben Arfa/Laurent Robert from yesteryear. When you have too many lazy gits it shows and you get relegated!

16. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Thauvin seems to be on song right now. I think he is the better of the two.

17. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Both would have come good under the right management. If Thauvin comes back, I suspect he will be a different player under Benitez. Likewise, if we hadn't got rid of Cabella I think he would have been decent.

18. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Thauvin was the worse signing, but I see that as Carr's fault, entirely. Everybody could see Thauvin had no interest in ever coming to Newcastle, but we forced the issue and paid the price. He was the worse signing because it was never, ever going to work. And when he came, he really made sure it wouldn't.

Cabella by contrast might have worked, because he seemed keen enough to come and did try. A bit. He was more like Lamela - falling over when the wind picked up, the passing and shooting range of a satsuma and an absolute monstrosity of a haircut. In a better team with less pressure and a year under his belt he'd probably have been ok.