1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan Athletic want Paul Cook as new manager !!

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, May 13, 2017.

1. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Yeah, but funnily enough, home wouldn't have been a big enough draw to take him to Wigan had we offered more money. If we don't offer enough money, then it's an issue. Offer enough money, and it isn't. Don't take us for fools, Cook, we can see what the situation is. It's like rail companies that strike over 'safety issues'... when said issues are resolved simply by giving them more money... because somehow that's going to improve safety.

2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh come on troops we all know that football is as mercenary as they come. For every fish in the pond there is a bigger fish somewhere nearby who is going to feck you over. If it was a player who showed signs of not wanting to be with your team then most would simply say bugger off then and look for the next one to hero worship. Same applies to a manager for me. Having said that. most of us would also move jobs for an extra wedge as well so why should football be different.

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I'll remind you of your comments sensible, when Derek Adams leaves for Aberdeen :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Just read following on 'Pompey News Now:

BT Sport commentator and #Pompey fan Ian Darke:
    "Amazed Paul Cook is choosing Wigan over Pompey. His quotes about never leaving 'a great club and fans' ring hollow now. Despite his triumph, always felt Cookie almost resented rather than embraced expectations at Fratton. Perhaps wants quieter life. As things played out, no blame on Pompey for losing Manager. In the end no choice. He clearly wanted out. Busy agent at heart of it."

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have absolutely no doubt that if the right offer for Adams came in then he would take it. He's young and ambitious so why wouldn't he if he thought it would advance his CV. But, there is no future in Scotish football unless you are the Celtic manager of course and even I could win the league there with them. I would have thought he would have had designs on a higher league within the English game if anything but then again Aberdeen might pay him a wedge more. I am realist enough to know he doesn't love Plymouth with undying devotion anymore than plymouth supporters would love him within 6 months of his departure. It's the way of football now and forever.

Ian Holloway quoted his eternal love for plymouth and it's fans whilst doing a book signing he was late for in the local shopping centre. Turned out he was late because he was off signing for Leicester. They are all the same so Pompey shouldn't feel too hurt at Cook and his hollow words.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. antipodean exile

antipodean exile Well-Known Member

The harsh reality of the real world always comes and gives you anal pain - promoted as champions with a manager that claimed he was cemented in at a great club then whooshka the bubble bursts and down come the 50 quid notes fluttering gently into the pocket and yup I'm yours - :emoticon-0103-cool:

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  8. Libby

Libby 9-0

I actually don't think this will hit you that badly to be honest, he was certainly the right man to get you out of League 2 obviously as he achieved that.

There's plenty of other managers out there and you're still a big club in the 3rd tier so people will see it as an attractive job especially if there is investment coming.

What about our Nigel? He loves a promotion from League one :bandit:

9. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

I would not be adverse to him at all.

10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Just saw this in Robert Dyas in one of their shops. Taking things a bit too far I think.............

antipodean exile and EastneyPFC like this.

11. SaintLapras

I too would not be adverse to Adkins.

Though I've had a thought... I know Doncaster imploded, but what about Darren Ferguson?

12. EastneyPFC

Ferguson is a good manager and definitely someone who could do a good job. Just not sure he would leave Donny. I wonder how much Eisner is involved in the process currently.

13. SaintLapras

A lot of teams have been stealing our key players and managers from us, I think it's about time we turn the tide.

14. antipodean exile

antipodean exile Well-Known Member

Welcome to our world :emoticon-0103-cool:

Wooperts_duck, SaintLapras and Libby like this.
  15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Well, he has finally gone to Wigan, and (unfortunately) taken Leam Richardson with him. Announced about an hour ago.

Apparently - well, according to Radio Solent anyway - former Millwall and Wolves manager Kenny Jackett, is favourite for taking over at the helm of PFC.

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Paul Cook has this afternoon given an exlusive statement to The News to explain the reasons behind his Pompey departure.

Cook was today unveiled as Wigan manager – just 25 days after winning the League Two title with the Blues.

Here, in his own words, he addresses the Fratton faithful. His statement read......

"It has been an honour and a privilege for me to have been the manager of Portsmouth Football Club for the past two seasons.

I will treasure my time at the club forever – the memories of being crowned League Two champions and pushing such a great club back up the football pyramid has given me, my staff and my family tremendous pleasure and pride.

Since gaining promotion to League One and subsequently winning the League Two title, I came out and stated that I would never wish to leave the club.

As the weeks have transpired it became quite clear to me that, with the realisation of new owners coming in, there were many grey areas both personally and professionally for myself and my staff. Amid this uncertainty I have decided to take up a new and exciting challenge with Wigan Athletic Football Club."

Read more at: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/f...ive-paul-cook-speaks-to-pompey-fans-1-7986954

17. EastneyPFC

Wish him well...not much else to be said. Kenny J has always come across as decent and hard working. I think we need it sorted before June gets to far away from us - circa 15th max. My mind is open though as to who we get.

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Somewhat cheeky Twitter message posted by Kyle Bennett. Have read that he and Cook didn't always see eye to eye.

EastneyPFC likes this.
  19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Early bird odds on the next manager.........

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That last paragraph in your post above quoting Cook's excuse for doing precisely what he personally wanted to do is the biggest load of bollox going. He wasn't under any pressure to go and neither were any of "his" staff. He went because he wanted to and for no other reason. Why do they have to lie about it for feck sake. We had exactly the same from Holloway and that was bollox as well.