1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan Athletic want Paul Cook as new manager !!

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, May 13, 2017.

1. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Can we get a manager who wears a suit please? I'm sick of all these managers who wear tracksuits on the side-line. I mean, are you actually going to be taking part in the match itself? No? Then get out of your damn tracksuit and look like a professional.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's a scouser though..............:D

3. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

We had a manager who said you'd have to drag me out of the place, funny enough he ended at Wigan as well.

Is Jacket a serious contender? I think he will do a great job for you, always rated him when he manged us.

P.S. My boy played a few games with Calvin last two weeks, he's gutted at being released, now going to sign for Bognor.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  4. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Hi neveroffsidereff <cheers>. Is your lad still on Pompey's books ? Shame Paul Cook released young Calvin Davies, I'd heard from other people how talented he was. I'm sure that playing for Bognor will get him noticed by other clubs.

Kenny Jackett is apparently odds on favourite for the manager's job, which pleases me. I reckon he could do a decent job for us, so hope he gets appointed. Who was his assistant manager when he was with you ?

5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Kenny Jackett is an upgrade on Paul Cook, decent bloke too and should be able to draw good players to the club.

Libby and Wooperts_duck like this.
  6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah I reckon Jackett would be a good shout.

7. SaintLapras

So who's Kenny Jacket?

8. neveroffsidereff

No he's finishing in the next week or two. He was only development side, and has some finals to site then finished. Going to play for Alton for one of the Pompey coaches. It's a shame for young Calvin, as I've said I thought the lad was quality youngster. I'll be keeping an eye out for the lad.

Jackets assistant was Kevin Nugent, he's currently at Barnet, he never followed Jacket to Millwall.

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Well, it appears that Kenny Jackett is to be appointed manager quite soon. His assistant is likely to be Joe Gallen, who was his right hand man at both Millwall and Wolves. According to West London Sport, this is the lowdown:-

"Joe Gallen is set to link up with Kenny Jackett again, as assistant manager at Portsmouth.

Jackett is taking over as manager at Fratton Park from Paul Cook, who recently left for Wigan having guided Pompey to promotion to League One.

Gallen, from Acton, previously worked as Jackett’s assistant at Millwall, Wolves and more recently Rotherham.

They initially worked together at QPR, where Gallen was a youth coach and Jackett was assistant boss during Ian Holloway’s first spell as manager at Loftus Road."

According to Sky Sports, he is apparently signing a two year contract, with a press conference arranged for next Monday. If correct, then I'm delighted we have secured such an experienced talented person as manager.

10. neveroffsidereff

He will be a good appointment!!

11. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Really hope so neveroffside - he's always come across as honest and straight talking - he did very good things at Millwall and Wolves and with respect to other clubs it's that sort of level we need a Manager from. He won't be phased by a big crowd and expectations - admittedly they sometimes are over the top. Just a good solid season in League 1 and then really aim for promotion the next year. PUP Glad they haven't hung about.

12. neveroffsidereff

We had a open day prior to the season starting at The Liberty and he did a Q & A session for a good 30 mins, giving his long term vision of the club etc, came over very well.

Think you've got a good one, if your new owner backs him as well I can see you pushing on for a consecutive promotions.

Wish you all the very best for next season.

EastneyPFC and Wooperts_duck like this.
  13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Been reading that Kenny Jackett is your new manager. Excellent appointment, and a step up, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    EastneyPFC and Wooperts_duck like this.
  14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Hopefully, as Paul Cook has just signed exotically named centre half Cheyenne Armani Keanu "Chey" Dunkley on a free transfer from Oxford Utd, he will not attempt to unsettle/upset us by trying to sign either Christian Burgess or Matt Clarke during the summer <grr>

15. SaintLapras

I always thought Cheyenne was a female name.

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Don't let Paul Cook know that, Lapras <laugh>

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey have fought off Wigan to retain coaches John Keeley and Robbie Blake.

But other members of Paul Cook’s backroom are expected to join him at the DW Stadium.

The News understands goalkeeping coach Keeley and first-team coach Blake have intimated they want to remain at Fratton Park following the appointment of Kenny Jackett. Cook has already taken assistant manager Leam Richardson to Wigan and is keen to be accompanied by other Fratton Park staff. The Blues are now braced for first-team physios Nick Meace and Andy Proctor to follow suit, having moved down from the north only last summer. Their anticipated exits are being thrashed out with the Latics as Cook assembles his new backroom. Yet Pompey’s former boss will be disappointed that Keeley and Blake have declined the opportunity to continue working with him. Keeley last summer returned to Fratton Park for a second spell, having followed Michael Appleton to Blackburn in January 2013.

At the time, it ended a six-year Pompey association for the former Brighton goalkeeper. He later worked at Chinese club Guangzhou R&F before Cook brought him back to England in July 2016 to replace Scott Bevan. Former Burnley striker Blake arrived at Fratton Park during the 2015-16 campaign to strengthen the backroom set-up. The likeable 41-year-old, who has aided with coaching and scouting, is settled on the south coast and wishes to remain. Pompey are also confident head of recruitment Neil Howarth will be staying. He arrived last summer having served as Bury’s head of operation and player analysis,

Read more at: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-deny-wigan-to-retain-coaches-1-8002662

18. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Jackett is a good manager.....so on that front exciting times for Pompey. Mind you, you have to find a way of keeping your best players same as us down here. That is a bloody nightmare when you hope to progress.............

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Hi Beddytare - I've just read a strong rumour that Liverpool are now after another of your players in Dusan Tadic. It's never ending, isn't it ?

20. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

According to the media Practically all our first team players are wanted by someone. Literally from our Goalkeeper Fraser Forster right the way through to the last Striker we signed in January. Hopefully just poor reporting, but as you say it is never ending.
    Trouble is, we have earned ourselves a reputation as being a selling club, players are using us as a stepping stone. Our board need to get off their ass and do something about it and stop the departures.
    Trouble is neither Pompey nor Saints are strong enough.....yet......to totally resist some of the clubs with money hence why both clubs need investors, which by all accounts sounds like it is happening!!

EastneyPFC likes this.