1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan west stand upper closed

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

What is this about first game in the redeveloped ground with top tier closed in new west stand.
    Crazy this should have been a total 27000 sellout game as was expected for newcastle and villa.

Wigan Athletic

Information for City's season opener on August 6th.
    • City kick-off their Sky Bet Championship campaign against Wigan
    • West Stand will open with a reduced capacity for the first game
    • Members can purchase tickets from Monday at 10am
    Tickets for City’s opening day clash with Wigan Athletic will go on sale from 10am on Monday, July 25th.

Due to safety requirements imposed by the Safety Advisory Group (SAG), the West Stand will be operating under a reduced capacity for the first game of the season. Tickets will only be available in the lower West Stand for the season opener, which takes place at Ashton Gate on Saturday, August 6th (3pm).

Forever Bristol Members can purchase online from Monday, or by phone from Wednesday. General sale is set to begin online from Friday (July 29th) at 10am, with phone sales from 10am on Monday, August 1st.

The clash with last season’s Sky Bet League One champions will be a Silver category match, meaning ticket prices start from just £22 for adult members in the South Stand.

Tickets for under-12 members are just £5, while under-19 members can purchase just £10.

Membership is still available by calling Supporter Services on 0117 963 0600.

A further announcement regarding sales dates for home games with Newcastle United and Aston Villa, on August 20th and August 27th respectively, will be made in due course.

Information regarding City’s first away matches of the season, against Wycombe Wanderers in the EFL Cup first round (Tuesday, August 9th) and Burton Albion in the Championship (Saturday,

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

IMO we were never going to get close to a full house even though it's the official opening of a new stand and the first home game of the season.

Because the season is starting earlier and earlier every year some people will still be on holiday, and because the opposition is Wigan who don't take many away fans are 2 reasons why a gate of 20,000 - 21,500 is more likely.

3. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Reckon it could be nearer 18,500. Holidays, away support etc. The next 2 home games will be much bigger attendances

4. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I did start a thread not long ago saying I would be amazed if it was completely ready for the start of the season!

The west stand is not open for the Portsmouth game which was supposed to be a 'ramp up' game for the conditions of the safety certificate, presumably the Wigan game is now the ramp up game?

I am visiting the ground again later this week and will update you on the visible progress but the word is its still badly behind!

(To clarify, this is not the fault of the club but the contractors and if you're wondering I would imagine the club are being given 'positive' information all along the same as us!)

Mind the gap! likes this.
  5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

i hope the club have redemption clauses against the job not being finished,it potentially could cost them ten of thousands of lost revenue,especially if the Villa and Newcastle crowds will be affected.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Or maybe a completion penalty clause?

7. Angelicnumber16

I'm sure the construction company would have had to sign up to paying the club some form of service credit if the work was not completed by a certain date.

8. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I have been 'told' £135k per game in penalty clauses for non completion. I don't know the full details.

9. RedorDead

It was a comment to RR, the clause that is put into a building project is a "completion penalty clause".
    They even do it on motorway works, it's bizarre, you tender for the contract, pay the goverment lane rental and if overran they get penalised. So as you can imagine the suppliers then get a charge. I've worked closely with one company supplying them on time giving them over and above technical help and one mistake (caused by a road crash) cost the company I worked for 16k in cost, for a 6m supply costing £600

10. Angelicnumber16

Cheers
    I'm used to Service Credits and Penalty Clauses in a previous line of work with customers and contracts.

RedorDead likes this.

11. RedorDead

**** world we live in now ain't it when companies make more profit from claims more than the work they do.

12. Angelicnumber16

Yeah. The country has become Little America.......
    Without quite so many guns, but we're getting there

RedorDead likes this.
  13. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

I dont think we will get anymore than 17000 for Wigan so no big deal for first game. It does look like the Newcastle & Villa
    games may have come too early to get the upper tier open. City will need to know early before releasing advanced ticket
    info. For these two high profile games will they use the top tier, if open, for away fans only?

14. Premiershiporbust IV

Premiershiporbust IV Active Member

The work is most likely being carried out under a JCT contract form in which case it is very likely (but not certain) that liquidated damages will have been written in...

Disappointing that the work is not completed to the point that the West stand can be fully opened. I think that some of the attendance estimates will be short bearing in mind that we must be somewhere near 14k season ticket holders alone...

15. Angelicnumber16

If they can't complete and get sign off for the Newcastle and Villa games then there should be even bigger penalties. That would be a huge loss of potential revenue.

16. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you but I think in this case it's pretty fair. If it is true that we're getting 135k per game if it's late then that is perfectly fair enough given the lost revenue and the inevitable backlash from ST holders not being able to take their seat.

17. Angelicnumber16

Money aside, it's also a big downer/disappointment for the club as a whole if it's not ready for the Newcastle game in terms of our image and reputation.

Lets just hope it'll be finished......