1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Will the Budgies be chirping come Sunday

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Feb 23, 2017.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

There are teams with far less talented players and smaller transfer budgets who show attacking intent and can keep the ball better than we can. Look at Lincoln.

It's just soo bloody boring now, I'm losing interest. I used to get excited by watching Ipswich and am fastly losing interest because our manager prefers to be cautious. You think even if Mick gets a big budget it's going to be entertaining?

I've had enough now, there's only so many boring matches i can take even if we are getting points. I think he should go and give a new manager some time before the summer.

I recently saw a quote from Sir Bobby when asked what a club is:

"Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in you club.

It's a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his fathers hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and without, being able to do a thing about it, falling in love
    ."

All I can say is no one will be falling in love with Ipswich whilst Mick is in charge!! I'm pretty sure if Mick was in charge when I was 4 or 5 I probably wouldn't have even followed football!!

2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Do you think the likes of Leeds, Huddersfield and Reading have better players than us? I don't! The difference is in the mentality of the manager, coaching staff and players - they play football and play to win, not to bore the opposition into submission.
    They have drive and ambition - we don't, and we haven't had any since Keane and Jewell were in charge. It's all just a pile of monotonous boring drivel atm, and if it carries on, we'll be playing in front of 8/9,000 fans soon.

itfcptc likes this.
  3. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Yes I do think they have more better players than us because their transfer budget is bigger, which makes our recent draws against two of those Clubs a decent result. Having said that we played well enough to win both games with bright attacking football that had the crowd right behind the team, anyone who was there must have noticed that and the way thousands stayed to cheer the boys after the final whistle.
    I haven't spoken to anyone who was there recently who wasn't pleased with the performances and hope we continue in the same way.
    We've got through February unbeaten and against some top Clubs when we all thought we could very well end up with no points and be in the relegation fight, myself included.

4. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

It was a decent point against Norwich but the fact remains that we have only won 2 games so far this year!! Yes that's only 2 games out of 12 which is totally unacceptable. The thing that amazes me is that everyone in the media is now saying what a fantastic job MM is doing when basically all he has done is manage to win one game out of the last 5!! FFS if that's progress then I am a Welshmen!! <doh> The sooner this ****e season is over the better and the sooner Evans slings his hook the better! I agree totally with what PTC is saying.

San Diego likes this.
  5. stretchyboy

I think the more interesting / worrying fact, is that in the 34 league games we've played, we've scored 1 or 0 in 27 of those (that's 80% of all league games) - that's shocking, and sums Mick up this season

6. johnnywarksmoustache

We used to moan about Big Joe at times but by god his teams produced some brilliant entertainment! I remember the game against Crewe when we won 6-4!! His philosophy was to out score the opposition. If they score 4 we will score 5 and it very nearly worked. We came so close in getting promoted. Kuqi and Benty were phenomenal and we had Magilton and Miller supplying them the chances. All that seems a million years ago now!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  7. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Lets see what Lawrence can do for us this Saturday, and start with Diagouraga, and keep Skuse as dull, battling spoiler to bring on the park if needs must, much later. High time for another win!

8. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

You don't have too have a lot of money to play attractive football. Players and coaches have to have the right mentality. If you look at a team like Barnsley, no one can say that they are a bigger club than us but they try and win games rather than not lose them. I now believe that MM's ideal season would be 46 0-0 draws. I won't pay to watch what we are calling entertainment whilst the current regime are in place

9. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

The season overall has been terrible for many reasons but as the new players brought in have given us a lift and allowed us to play better football it's not so dire now. Apart from our Norwich performance we have been decent for the last month or so.. Trouble is when we are missing creative players we revert back to our old ways.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  10. fieldmarshall

If we play as well as we have in the last two home matches then that's fine with me, but if we revert to the rubbish we were playing Dec / Jan then that will be a huge disappointment and with a full squad available there's no excuse.

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

So lets all hope for some entertaining football at PR this Spring, nowt to lose but pride, and stronger base for next season, and shedloads of supporters! Might even see me drag my weary body up the A12 and cough up £70 for the pleasure!

Castro Sito likes this.
  12. johnnywarksmoustache

I admire your optimism Gaffer old lad but I'd rather be pressure hosing my patio than watching Town at the moment!

13. stretchyboy

If you take out all our loan players, it reveals a very weak, uncreative team.
    The likes of Lawrence, Huws, Diagouraga, Spence, Williams and Taylor will be gone come end of the year (well, maybe not Spence and Taylor), but the other four will go back to their parent clubs. You then add in the possibility of Berra and Chambers leaving (which I think they will), and a few other first team fringe players who could well depart (Pitman, Douglas) then we will be seriously in need of a huge influx of new players.
    If Evans is not prepared to fund 5 or 6 quality players, then it'll be the same next year, with or without Mick

14. fieldmarshall

That's the question Stretchy, will Evans fund the transfer budget? He hasn't for years now so will there be any change? No money = no quality, no quality = another season of struggle for whoever the manager is, season ticket sales will drop again and so the spiral continues.

15. johnnywarksmoustache

You would have thought that a club of our pedigree would be able to attract serious foreign investment. I'm not really sure how we will survive next year without some serious money being spent on players.

16. Southcoastoldgaffer

All sounds a bit gloomy but realistic -if only MM could persuade ME that time to shell out and try to do great deals for Lawrence, Huws and Diagouraga, that would brighten our Summer days! Those 3 have really added spark, creativity and a semblance of the old Ipswich style of play. Not bothered if Chambo, Douglas & co depart, old guard done as well as, time to give youth its head.

17. johnnywarksmoustache

We can always ask Ed Sheeran to perform a couple of benefit gigs at Portman Road to raise some much needed cash! ME The ticket tout would be rubbing his hands together at the prospect!

18. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Do you think any of the money raised would find it's way into the transfer budget???

19. johnnywarksmoustache

No not really but we might get some freshly painted turn styles out of it!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  20. stretchyboy

Funny how you should mention the turnstiles - I was speaking with a "friend" the other day, and about a year or so ago did a bit of bird, and he told me that the turnstiles at PR were actually painted by a group of inmates - so we didn't even pay for them!