1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will Wenger ever win the League again?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Feb 4, 2017.

?

Will Wenger ever win the league again?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2017.
  1. Yes

9.1%
  2. No

90.9%
  1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I promised in another thread "Can we win the league this year" that i would post another poll mid-way through the season. Unfortunately it appears that our chances have disappeared after two back to back loses, and an overall record from the last 9 games of 4 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses.

So it looks likely that a manager with no PL experience will lift the league title in his first season. Why with Wenger's vast experience and resources is unable to get his teams to win? He has added some seriously quality players to his squad, namely Sanchez and Ozil. He also has a host of other quality players that make up a team, at least on paper, is good enough to win it. I thought maybe it was the lack of quality in his squad, but this season has clearly shown the deficiencies lie with him. In my opinion, he no longer has it in him to win the league, let alone the CL.

Maybe i'm being overly pessimistic, so i'm throwing it out to the rest of you. Do you think that Wenger can ever win the league with Arsenal?

2. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

He can't even mount a serious challenge, let alone win it.

Sign Da Ting and Quilllogic like this.
  3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Wenger's time as a manager who can win the title is done. It's a case of making sure we replace him with somebody who can now.

4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Absolutely not.

Around 2007. Wenger adopted a more tikka take style for his sides. Since then very little has changed.

Small centrebacks, a plethora of small attacking midfielders, play high line, substitutions start at around 65th min - very high level of cardiovascular fitness the team obviously do ALOT of running but also get alot of injures. (the two are linked)

You cant do the same thing year upon year and expect different results. But that's exactly what we do.

Wenger is capable of building a title winning side but he won't. The guy is his own worst enemy in a way. His obsession with doing things a certain way is now tarnishing his own legacy.

Quilllogic likes this.
  5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Wenger has done what he can, given his tactical nouse and ability to bring players in and develop those in the squad, which let's not forget includes Ozil, Sanchez, Bellerin, Koscielney. All great players who are the some of best in their positions in the league.

But, he doesn't have the ability to outsmart his opposition anymore. That, coupled with the fact that we seem to completely fold against teams that we should be sweeping aside, and it all adds up to not being able to challenge for the title.

gooner4ever likes this.
  6. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

He couldn't even win the league on fifa on beginner mode

7. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Anything can happen, but no I think Arsene focuses on his glory days way too much.

You can't really blame him.

He went a whole season without losing a single game. That will never happen again.

8. TheBear

On the plus side, he's not bad enough to finish10th. ;)

9. Rubbersoul

Rubbersoul Well-Known Member

Outside looking in unfortunately i dont think he will. I feel players can hide behind the Wenger rants when in fact they've under performed for himself when it matter most.

Like this year you battered Chelsea at your and then they turn up against Watford in the most lackluster performance of the season. Last season you battered Man u 3-0 and then struggle when a bottom side team puts up a fight. All the talk is Sanchez getting a sulk when they lose but when they played Watford he didn't score, he can't change every game but he can't sit there and feel its everyone elses fault bar himself.

Also this season i've felt Ozil has under performed massively, Ramsey has been dreadful and your midfield is on the hope a 30+ year old gets fit before the end of the season.

I really like Arsenal and Wenger but the longer he stays with you the more chance of the club going downwards rather than upwards.

10. TheBear

Pretty much agree with all of that.

Its typical Wenger though - On the Carzorla issue. Our best CM is injured but Wenger wont spend money to solve what he sees as a 'temporary' problem. We used to have the same issue with RVP - the guy was injured yet we would'nt buy another striker because 'eventually' he will be fit. Meanwhile our title chances are slipping down the drain.

11. Rubbersoul

TBF he did buy Xhaka but atm he was injured at the start and is now unreliable till he sorts his tackles. Then you have Ramsey/Elneny/Coquelin who are more than enough cover.

12. TheBear

Numbers wise yeah.

I like Xhaka alot he'll be Top Class.
    Ramsey has been awful for 12 months or so. Personally would sell him
    Elneny is a great squad player.
    Coquelin is a basic but reliable DM. Having a bad Season though. Think we need an upgrade.

Personally would like to see Wilshere back in the squad ASAP.

13. Rubbersoul

Gladly take Ramsey off your hands!!

Would Wilshere just be back up or a potential starter?

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

They are good cover, but Cazorla is one of those special players who are a bit of a one off. Very difficult to replace and we miss him badly.

15. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Clearly taken out of context. But it's clear he won't acknowledge why lots of the fans at Arsenal might not be doing that. Head firmly wedged in the sandpit stuck up his backside

18. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

19. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

20. diegocosta197

diegocosta197 Member

absolutely not