1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Win Handsome, Not Ugly

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by saintKlopp, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

TBF though, he did knew about LB last summer

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

That's a decent bunch of signings, I hope we can now add to them and really kick on.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Adapting/finding a way of getting through - doesn't that amount to the same thing?

I also think Klopp's lack of action in the windows, preferring to give younger players a chance, has been admirable but also not really worked. Having given it a go he now needs to buy his way out of trouble.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

I would just add... I think klopp has had targets for LB, CM and other positions but those targets have not worked out so he's refused to just buy anyone.

I know dortmund got at least 3 of his targets last summer for example.

johnsonsbaby and saintKlopp like this.
  5. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Even in his summer window he sold more than he bought. Didn't really break the bank (modernly speaking) on anyone.

Is Klopp a modern day Arsene Wenger? Tactically pretty decent but more comfortable working and improving who he has and who he knows than really rocking the boat and bringing in new faces? Hesitant to spend money.

Like Arsene he seems to prefer moulding kids.

6. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

<yikes>

7. johnsonsbaby

I think you're right he won't buy just anyone, again an admirable stance but it has cost us. We've been desperate for a LB - as just one example - since he came, I'm sure there must have been at least one that fit our buying criteria.

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

To be fair - Klopp comes from a league which doesn't tend to use the January window all that often so it may be more that klppp needs to adapt.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  9. saintKlopp

Surely by the phrase "he won't buy just anyone" we mean that there isn't a player that fits our criteria and he won't just spend money on the wrong player as a token, for the sake of being seen to be doing something?
    Therefore this isn't "costing us" at all. Buying the wrong player out of desperation is no better a solution than trying to make do with what you have.

10. johnsonsbaby

I was half way to writing a post yesterday along similar lines. He's repeatedly made comments on how life is different in the PL. I don't watch foreign football at all so I have no idea on the BL but I'm guessing that while he's familiar with 4 4 2, 4 3 2 1 formations, he hadn't come across the 8 1 1 or 9 1 before :bandit:

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.

11. saintKlopp

I'm guessing he hasn't come across so many relegation candidates that'll bite yer arse if you're not careful, either. <ok>

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  12. johnsonsbaby

I look at it like this - Klopp wants player X, he isn't available/doesn't want to join us, Klopp doesn't look anywhere else. Not being privy to the inner workings, from the outside it looks like he has primary targets only. I bet when he fancies a Mars bar and they're sold out, he leaves the shop empty handed because a Snickers just won't do <laugh>

saintKlopp likes this.
  13. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

This is the thing - we should have a list of 3-4 players for each position we want to fill. If we can't get our number 1, then we should move to 2 and so on.

I question the quality of our shortlists!

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  14. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Yes but only if #2 is still good enough. If #2 is Balotelli the manager shouldn't be forced to accept him, as happened fairly recently.

saintKlopp likes this.
  15. moreinjuredthanowen

probably very much this.

I think maybe he had a short list but a very short one for LB. That young french lad went to dortmund and hector (if real) priced himself out and chilwell (might just be a edwards fantasy) was not available.

same for DM. HE wanted dahoud.

upfront he seemed to have agreement with gotze (luck for us) but he reneged so he switched to mane.

All seem very planned.

We will see hat happens next. It seems to me we need to have an impressive tam to attract players as our wages look very high so its not money thats making them go elsewhere.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Correct, it's not worked, hence me expecting a big summer.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  17. johnsonsbaby

It seems like he's really looked around the club since he arrived, seeing what options he already has before spending - very wise. I must admit to liking the softly softly approach rather than the big clearout on arrival approach that some like Moyes, for example, did on appointment. However, he's had enough time now to see that we need a good few new players, without them we simply won't push on.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  18. moreinjuredthanowen

I think it is interesting.

He's absolutely told shako and benteke to chuff off but kept certain types of player. HE clearly likes a more technical type

19. johnsonsbaby

I think Sakho suits his style of play, he was shown the door for other reasons. Benteke was a nice lad but just not what we needed and he's gone on to show he was probably a one season wonder [before we bought him] as well like Vardy and Mahrez, so it wasn't us holding him back.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

One season? He did it for three or four years at Villa mate <laugh>