1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by NorthFerribyTiger, Jul 31, 2015.

1. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

Well I've upgraded & totally lost my wifi connectivity. Can any of you tech savvy guys help me??

(Before anyone tries... Yes I've turning it off & on!!)

2. x

x Well-Known Member

my wired connection is dropping out again after being okay for a short while. if i can't find a solution, i'm going back to 8.1 for a few months.

3. x

x Well-Known Member

if i can't find a better option i'm going to try the How to Fix Windows 10 Problems If Nothing Else Works
    option on here http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/07/29/7-common-windows-10-problems-how-to-fix-them/
    be 100% completely totally certain you tell it not to delete your files.

i might not get round to trying this till later.

4. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

****ing hell, with all the bugs noted on here I think i'll wait.

5. Altrincham Tiger

Altrincham Tiger Well-Known Member

Very similar to what happened with me, (except mine was wired).

Check to see if the device is working properly in Device Manager. If not, try installing updated drivers.

If it is working, run ipconfig from a command prompt. If you do not have any IP addresses listed, (ie it just says 'Windows IP Configuration' and nothing else) then your IP Stack is knackered, which is exactly what I had. And unfortunately the only solution I found online was to install from scratch. Apparently happens if you have VPN Clients installed prior to upgrading, (particularly Cisco VPN Client it seems).

6. rovertiger

Any of these bugs relate to a laptop or just phones?

7. Altrincham Tiger

I think this network bug is everything. Happened on my wired LAN desktop gaming PC. When I reinstalled 8.1 and then updated to 10 straight away it was fine, (helps to download the ISO and burn to DVD first). The only tip I have is uninstall any VPN Clients before upgrading.

rovertiger likes this.
  8. x

x Well-Known Member

mine is on laptop. appears to be some sort of conflict involving visual studio. i removed vs2012 and later steamed a 60 minute youtube video without a problem. i installed the 2015 version of vs and the (wired) connection keeps disappearing.

9. x

x Well-Known Member

my wifi connection is working okay but i can't use it at home due to home network being g and laptop only receiving n.

10. Altrincham Tiger

11. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

12. hullborn

hullborn Well-Known Member

tried it, too buggy, gone back to win 7 for now... might try it at a later time when its more stable

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  13. rovertiger

Thanks for all the above but I think i'll wait like hullborn is doing <cheers>

14. SimonGraysJacket

SimonGraysJacket Well-Known Member

15. Altrincham Tiger

Games written for Windows 95/98 work flawlessly under it. Even the original Doom works fine. I think I'll cope with the odd Solitaire ad...

16. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

windows 10 is brilliant tbh.. got it t'other day, i love the style, love the emails, just everything

the edge app is great!

there is a few buggs. but its free and it'll get sorted

17. ....

.... Well-Known Member

Fair enough , have the pro version myself

18. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

Do people actually sit playing Solitaire on their PC these days ?

If the OS is free....just like iOS & Android I think you will find the need to pay for a number of apps

19. where's les mutrie now

where's les mutrie now Well-Known Member

I will not be upgrading this until at least three months. Don't believe in being an unpaid tester of Windows 10 until they sort out the usual bugs and glitches. I'm still using the perfectly acceptable Windows 7.

20. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

This could affect users' decisions...

Windows 10 is under attack over default settings which users say compromise their privacy, just days after the operating system’s successful launch saw more than 14 million installs in the first 24 hours.

Hundreds of commenters on sites such as Hacker News and Reddit have criticised default settings that send personal information to Microsoft, use bandwidth to upload data to other computers running the operating system, share Wi-Fi passwords with online friends and remove the ability to opt out of security updates.

Many of the complaints relate to the new personalised adverts embedded inWindows 10. When the OS is installed, Microsoft assigns the user a unique advertising ID, which it ties to the email address registered with the company. That email address is also associated with a raft of other services, such as the company’s productivity and communication programs, as well as app downloads and cloud-storage uploads.

Using that information, Microsoft is able to personalise ads to the user, during both web surfing and, for newer apps downloaded from the Windows Store, app usage. Microsoft itself is leading the way on that front, even turning the in-built version of Solitaire (the card game that has been a staple of Windows installations since 1990’s Windows 3.0) into a freemium game, complete with unskippable video adverts.

Elsewhere, Windows 10 also harvests user information in order to teach the built-in personal digital assistant Cortana, Microsoft’s answer to Siri. To enable Cortana, the company says, it “collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device”.

Users are given the option to opt out of most of the data collection, but critics say that that isn’t enough. Alec Meer, of gaming website Rock Paper Shotgun, says: “Microsoft simply aren’t making it clear enough that they’re doing this, how it might affect you and how to opt out – despite chest-thumping, we’re-all-chums-here talk about how ‘real transparency starts with straightforward terms and policies that people can clearly understand’.

“There is no world in which 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different Settings screens and an external website constitutes ‘real transparency’.”

Others have criticised the company for a seeming get-out clause in its terms of service, which allow it to share user data based on nothing more than a “good faith” belief that doing so is required to comply with law enforcement, “protect our customers”, secure the company’s services, or “protect the rights or property of Microsoft”.

The terms are reminiscent of those applied by the company in March 2014, when it read the hotmail account of a blogger suspected of being involved in leaking an early version of Windows 10. After facing criticism for doing so,Microsoft tightened its privacy policy, and promised a full internal legal review before it would do so again in the future.

The European digital rights organisation (EDRi) sums up the company’s 45 pages of terms and conditions by saying: “Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties.”

In many ways, however, Windows 10 is merely moving closer towards what has become the new normal thanks to mobile operating systems. Both Siri and Google Now require access to the user’s personal information to personalise responses, while both Apple and Google offer developers the ability to deliver personalised ads to users based on information such as app installs.

And some of the criticised settings may turn out to be a net positive for all concerned. Users have attacked Windows 10 for only offering two settings when it comes to Windows Update: either install and restart immediately, or install and ask permission to restart. The option to not install updates does not appear to be present on the base version of the OS. But that decision chimes with the advice of security experts, who say that the number one thing for staying safe online is to install every security update immediately.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-privacy-default-settings?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2