1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by NorthFerribyTiger, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Quill

Quill Bastard

It wasn't amazing, but I didn't mind Windows 8 at all.

So far 10 has been fine for me, no bugs as of yet.

2. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

Sorry but it's not an issue really

People love to jump on privacy issues but.....if you want to use Cortana as it is designed you have to let it access your location & contacts, otherwise how do you tell it to remind you to "phone John when I get to the pub" or "remind me to buy flowers for the wife when I'm near a florist"

It is no more a privacy threat than Android or iOS

As for charging for "freemium games" again you are getting a free OS, they will make money like Apple or Google through advertising or selling apps

I hated Windows 8, so far I like Windows 10 but nobody is forcing people to upgrade & you can turn off most of the "privacy issues" in your settings if that worries you

3. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info, NFT. I've not upgraded yet, nor had the prompt. I'm using 8 with an "XP-like" front end at the mo, as I can't stand the Tiles.

Guess I'll wait a bit, until other issues (which could well appear) are dealt with.

4. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

I've had the notification saying I can upgrade but seeing as my accounting software won't be windows 10 compliant until it's upgrade released in september/october I wont be upgrading until then.

5. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Give the Jigsaw Puzzle app a try out, quite interesting as I haven't done jigsaws for yonks, there is some free stuff and some you have to pay for and there are 3 levels of difficulty. As for the other comments, I have yet to come across anyone who is totally ok with a new Windows version, I remember the furore over Win ME, which is still going on today, yet I bought a copy, installed and found some of the new features quite good. Then I read what all the know it all's were saying and I just had to wonder what they were on about, Win Me, before that 95 and since Win 7 and 8.1 have all had their critics so I'm not surprised at this latest onslaught, even thought this current download is for free.

6. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

I had a tendency to get emotional mood swings with feelings of lethargy & tiredness along with bouts of short term memory loss & lower concentration levels after using Wind ME.

moonraker likes this.
  7. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

That was from the mercury when you were a hatter.

8. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Anyone hit this yet?

"Some users of Windows 10 are reporting issues installing one of Microsoft’s first updates for the new operating system, which traps them in a reboot loop.

The KB3081424 update, released on Wednesday, collects a series of smaller updates into one bigger patch designed to make the updating process for new users simpler and easier.

But some users are reporting issues with the update, which reaches a certain percentage of installation before failing and rolling back."

Read on: http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...pdate-endless-reboot-loop?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

9. Quill

Quill Bastard

Still no bugs for me on 10. The search bar at the bottom seems to lag a bit though, but that's it.

10. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

I installed Windows 10 and has no trouble, other than it wouldn't run my ancient version of Microsoft Money. I really like it, it's laid out for the benefits of users rather than In accordance with a style.

11. Skidby Plastic

Skidby Plastic Well-Known Member

Nope, the only issue for me is how laggy Edge is. I thought the updates might sort that, but no such luck

moonraker likes this.
  12. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

With a third world internet speed where we are, it took over 10 hours to download and then failed on install. The same happened on a further 10 hour download and for good luck my wife tried again with the same result. We continue to use Windows 8.

13. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

My son who know a fair bit about these things said to wait until they iron out some of the minor problems.

WhittlingStick likes this.
  14. Altrincham Tiger

Altrincham Tiger Well-Known Member

Try downloading the .iso and burning to DVD using the Media Creation tool. That way if the install fails at least you won't have to download it again to retry.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

15. hudd25

hudd25 Member

No. This operating system sends huge amounts of personal data back to microsoft. Why does microsoft need this data in order for Cortana to work as it is designed? Clearly it doesn't; those people concerned with privacy are right to be concerned. Another issue with this os is that it uses your bandwidth to distribute downloads similar to how bittorrent works. This has already been found to be extremely insecure because it is a simple matter to inject malicious code and distribute compromised updates. Deal with these issues and maybe it is great - dunno, whatever.

16. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

17. Altrincham Tiger

Altrincham Tiger Well-Known Member

Just to add, it doesn't have to be DVD. You can also create USB installation media.

18. NorthFerribyTiger

In settings you can simply go in & chage any privacy P2P concerns you have to the off position....

Cortana clearly needs access to your contacts, calendar & location to work properly

19. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

Where in the settings?

20. NorthFerribyTiger

Start - Settings - Privacy