1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by NorthFerribyTiger, Jul 31, 2015.

1. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

I'm sticking with Windows 8 on my desktop, I like it and I've never had a problem with it. I put Windows 10 on my laptop on Wednesday night, I requested it only about a week before that - had no problem downloading and installing, on first cursory inspection of it I think it looks ok. It's odd how they're telling you Oct/Nov and I got it in barely a week?

2. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

BOJACKHCAFCMAN Well-Known Member

Not on my copy of Windows 10 but I have noticed it shows photos in the menu sometimes which is odd, the screensaver is fixed but what I would suggest is as soon as Windows is installed go to power saving options to make sure this isn't some kind of default setting that needs adjusting just in case, if you leave the power settings on default (which I never do ) after installation then that might crop up, I adjust the settings straight away as I don't want 100 percent screen brightness eating away at my system, this applies to whatever operating system you use. Linux is great for stuff but I can only dual boot it as unfortunately there are quite a few compatability issues with Windows software but you can feel fairly safe watching dodgy steams etc. with Linux, Windows you are asking for trouble from viruses and so on

3. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

They're saying it's to do with making sure all the drivers etc are working ok! TBH, I'm not bothered if I don't get it!

4. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

That will never happen why do you think there are rolling updates for most software? Someone is always finding software faults so 'patches will always be needed no matter which software you run, even Linux. The only difference with other Windows releases is that now updates are updated in the background in Win 10 as many people complained about viruses etc but then had never updated the latest 'patches'. Patch Tuesday should be a thing of the past now, although I will wait to see about that one Win 10 is a big play for Microsoft as they have got it horribly wrong for a few years now, Win 8 (not 8.1) and Win mobile (mobile 7 and the like) were disasters Balmer left and Gates looks on from the sidelines although he is still around. On the mobile front Apple and Android have swept the board, Windows phones (Lumia) will have a heck of a job to gain appreciable market share and on the tablet side of things MS are fighting back with the Surface brand but Ipad and to some extent Android tablets rule supreme, testing times for MS.

5. Sikkedogsvendestykke

Sikkedogsvendestykke Active Member

I put Windows 10 on this machine back in July. It was fine at first, but now it is just good old Microsoft crap.

There have been several updates in the first few weeks since W10 was released. Why? It reminds me exactly of Windows 2000 ... released for commercial reasons before the product was mature.

The reason I rushed to Windows 10 was the start menu. I detested Windows 8 jumping about all over. Well W10's start menu has disappeared now, along with the quick access sound control. I did a web search and it seems lots of people have the same problem - no start menu and no sound control. Guess what Microsoft recommend? Go into command prompt and fix your corrupted system files! I am no computer geek, but aren't corrupted files an issue with individual computers? When so many people have the same problem, isn't it a Windows 10 issue?

Another problem is that the Windows 10 machine can't access files on my external backup disc. It still works fine on my old machine using XP

I'm just waiting for yet another W10 update to fix these issues. If it doesn't come soon then that's it ... bye bye Windows. I've just about seen enough these last 15 years.

6. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

I now have Win10 on my laptop, although it is a Dell with an over-sensitive mouse-pad, so that goes the journey this week. Generally been okay with the Win10 system, although will get a better idea when I switch to another (widescreen) Dell.
    I use an iPhone 5s for personal and a Windows Lumia for work; the iPhone is a trusted servant but with known limits that can frustrate, whereas the Lumia is growing on me, as it is simple but very capable - still getting to know it, though.
    For tablets I have a Blackberry Playbook, which was only ever half decent, but without the phone (was a great business phone), it is only a reluctant back-up. If Kindle could just step up a notch they would walk it for me, as the Kindle Fire HD is very reliable, incredibly secure (how does it do that?) with a touch screen and keypad second to none I have used.

7. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Hi Fez, I believe that Amazon are stopping production and sales of their Fire phone so I am not sure how that will effect any future updates should they be needed. As for the Lumia phones certain models will be getting a Win 10 phone version update sometime this year, autumn or fall as the American's call it a list of the phones to be updated is on the net. Also MS is having a media launch Oct 6th I think when 2 new high end phones will be announced as well as other hardware.

Fez likes this.
  8. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

BOJACKHCAFCMAN Well-Known Member

Firefox has been crashing a lot on my Windows 10 set-up, never used to happen before. Hope it's not Microsoft playing tricks and trying to force people onto their awful browser, I don't think they would dare try that against Google on chrome

9. lewisc29

lewisc29 Idiot

I can't upgrade to Windows 10 on my laptop. It's a brand new Dell XPS 13 and the install takes forever! I stuck with the "installing windows" page and it was coping files, but that took 18 hours to reach 14%.

Anybody had this problem?

10. Sikkedogsvendestykke

Nah, as I put above, I converted to Windows 10 no problem at all. But then the problems began. I suggest you stick with whatever you've got right now until Microsoft get their silly act together.

11. lewisc29

lewisc29 Idiot

It's understandable that there will be problems. The first global, free release is always going to be trial and error.

12. x

x Well-Known Member

i've had no problems with firefox on w10. got version 40.0.3 at the moment.

BOJACKHCAFCMAN likes this.
  13. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

Is this a connected USB backup or a network drive ?

A USB drive should still be seen by W10 as no new drivers are required

A network drive should be visible using the network & map drive option....I can see my WD network drive perfectly well in W10

14. Sikkedogsvendestykke

It is USB, and still works fine with Windows XP

15. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

So whats the general feeling? Upgrade or not?

16. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

I have 3 USB external drives.....none required drivers & all are fully accessible in W10

17. Sikkedogsvendestykke

O My God, this gets worse and worse. Now my W10 has registry issues with PDF files I have just downloaded.

What is this? Is someone attacking Microsoft?

18. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

I have uploaded Win 10 on my laptop and it has settled down reasonably well, the only real problem is that it "finds" the cursor about a minute after starting everything else, which is frustrating in the least.

19. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Upgraded on my PC in the first week and in fact the witches PC.

Had zero problems.

I know that's not a universal experience, but for us, it has been.

20. where's les mutrie now

where's les mutrie now Well-Known Member

Well, I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop (which I use for my creative work) and I'm going to wait a little longer. There's an article that explains some of the problems and what's upcoming with future updates. You can read it here:-
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/my-biggest-problem-with-windows-10-stability/

rovertiger likes this.