1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Women in Football University Research

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by theacademic, Oct 4, 2015.

1. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

BOJACKHCAFCMAN Well-Known Member

Not only beautiful but scores goals the likes of Tom Humdrumstone can only dream about

2. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Women aren't as good at sport compared to blokes - therefore it's not as popular.

"Would you rather watch the best people do this or people who aren't anywhere near as good but we can pretend it's still elite level?"

Sad but true

Brucebones likes this.
  3. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

Even women athletes admit they aren't as good as the men due to physique differences, internal organs being bigger for the men and so on, enjoy the sports for what they are men and women. One interesting thing is that you don't get women world champion poker players or chess, you'd think there would be no disadvantage there

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

They usually win the topless jelly wrestling.

GLP and BOJACKHCAFCMAN like this.
  5. Walter Sobchak

Not as many but there are a fair few female poker players that rake it huge amounts.

BOJACKHCAFCMAN likes this.
  6. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

Should qualify my women in poker comment as there are some very good players but none have ever won the WSOP main event. Vicky Coren, Vanessa Selbst, loads of others. They usually crash out before the final table of the main event

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  7. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I believe Victoria Coren has won a couple of European poker titles. As regards women in sport while they may not be as fast or strong as their male peers I'd rather have watched Paula Radcliffe winning a marathon than some British blokes not winning one, Virginia Wade winning Wimbledon rather than umpteen male Brits failing to do so, and who would've missed Kelly Holmes winning 800 and 1500 metres in Athens?

Skidby Plastic likes this.
  8. Walter Sobchak

It can be exciting at times but it's just not the same.

9. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

If you believe that's true that's sad.

10. Walter Sobchak

Yes I believe men are better at most sports than women.

Brucebones likes this.

11. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Hardly a Utopian view is it? It's a realistic view. The Utopian one is where people regardless of ability get a chance to do everything that other people are better at, just because they're <insert option> and underrepresented.

There are plenty of chances for everyone, sometimes you have to accept that you personally, for whatever reason, are not cut out for some of them.

Discussions like this really do people affected by genuine -isms a real disservice, and that's where the problem lies imo. If 2 people are equally capable of doing something to the same standard and you choose one over the other because of their sex, race etc then that needs addressing more than some ill-thought out stupid quota or demand that in the interests of fairness, the less capable person should be given the role because they're underrepresented, then that's stupid.

Brucebones likes this.
  12. Charlie1

Taking your statement about the elite to its logical endpoint you should only watch a handful of football teams in the world. Why are you watching Hull City who are not as good as Barcelona or Man City. Why watch a qualifying World cup game with England in as we are not one of the best teams. Why watch league 2 football at all. Why watch a local running meet when Usain Bolt isn't even running. Don't even bother watching any para sport as well why would you when able bodied people are better than them.

13. Charlie1

You say there are plenty of chances for everyone. Yet ask women if they think the same. Sod that, in fact ask a lot of men if they think the same. In an ideal world. We don't live in an ideal world. 2 people will never be the same for what they can bring to a job as everyone is different and brings different qualities to it. I do wonder if the roles were reversed and men had had and continue to have the general unfair discrimination we faced if men would be saying the same things.

14. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Obviously people are different, that's the whole point. Sports are generally quite physical, hence why blokes, who (**** you god/natural evolution) are generally more physical, excel at those sports, and not women.Men and women are different, seeing as you work in the health sector, I'm surprised you don't know that, or rather insisting it doesn't matter, when in specific conditions it really DOES matter.

Mixed Hockey teams works because it's an even playing field, a mens team playing a ladies team would the majority of the time, muller them. If Tennis was mixed in the singles, the majority of the women who do ok in the womens tours, would end up looking for something else to do. Sure you could have mixed sex football teams, or even mixed ability so people in wheelchairs could play, this would fit your Utopian view of fairness, right? Wouldn't be as much fun to watch as a mens only game I bet, if by fun you prefer watching the very best at the top of their game that is. If you like everything to be bland and equal, I'm sure it'd be a right hoot.

Women are employed or enjoy roles across a whole range of sports and in society, much more so than years ago. Even as directors or CEOs or Generals or match officials or working on building sites or flying aeroplanes...

Why's that? Because they're good at it! How would they feel if they got told "Soz love, this disabled fella is getting that job, he's under-represented"?

I realise that in some of those cases, they've had to fight enormous prejudice to get there, but they managed to do that and they did it by dint of their ability, not someone saying "ffs we need a woman to do this so we meet our quotas".

Yes we need to wipe out sexism, racism, homophobia, they are all abhorrent. What we don't do is try to fix those by enforcing less capable people on other people on the basis of their sex, colour etc.

15. Tuckin

Tuckin Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's the one being oversensitive here, with his calm comments...

Des Head likes this.
  16. Charlie1

First of all men are given more opportunities in sport. Just look at the funding for a start.

I never said I wanted mixed teams. Dutch mentioned it I think, not me. Mixed doubles tennis however is great to watch and as entertaining as mens singles as it has a different quality to it. It's not always about the hardest, fastest etc.

Walter was the one on about elite sport bring the only one worth watching. Not me. I merely took his statement to the endpoint. Equally as boring.

Yes women are employed in many roles more than years ago. Still not anywhere near a level playing field. As 50% of the population we should get it automatically not when men device to let us have it.

More women and men are watching women participate in sport (and enjoying it) than ever before. I think it must threaten some blokes masculinity to think it's less of a sport or not worth watching just because it's women taking part. Give your heads a shake.

17. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Bringing beach volleyball into this just weakens your argument.

Tuckin and Charlie1 like this.
  18. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

Last day of the womens Premier League season, Chelsea v Sunderland on BT at 6 , Chelsea need a point to be Champions if I'm not mistaken but if they lose and Man City win then Man City will take the title on the last day. Looking forward to seeing Beth Mead play, only a midget but she's a great player shame she wasn't involved with England at the World Cup. Who really cares if men are better than women anyway

19. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

Please feel free to take the smallest piece of my post & dramatise it. As for calm comments,:emoticon-0140-rofl: sarcasm, which to me comes across as someone being extreme PC.

20. Walter Sobchak

T
    thats a good point. I don't really care about much sport in general apart from football - though will watch the odd final of something else if it's on. Hull city can become or compete with the elite. That can't happen in women's football. The standard is just so far below and it is hyped up so much. One England player goes round another player and she's now "mini messi" -