1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Bwood_Ranger, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Anyone watching it or care?

Seems that the BBC are desperately trying to promote it as being better than it is. The snippets I've seen have been pretty terrible.

2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the BBC haven't got a one-legged, ethnic, lesbian, deaf presenter using sign language...

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I was jet lagged and not sleepy on Saturday night, watched the second half of Canada v China. Truly dire. I won't be going out of my way to watch any of it.

4. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Watched first half of USA-Aus last night, wasn't too bad - the US keeper made some fantastic saves at 0-0, yanks got a lucky deflected goal to take the lead, Aussies equaliser was good, as was the US winner.

Seems to be a few drubbings too - Germans put TEN past their opposition other night, and Cameroon got SIX!

5. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

England start with a defeat by the French 1-0

6. aqualung

aqualung Well-Known Member

Seen snippets, but looks truly awful. Standard looks Conference at best...and these are internationals!

7. Bwood_Ranger

Conference teams would annihilate these.

It's silly playing women's football on a full pitch with full-sized goals. Would be a better sport with smaller teams and pitches rather than being a poor impersonation of the men's game.

8. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

There are plenty of women's sports that are great to watch e.g. tennis, hockey, judo and even curling. Football? Really sorry but no.

9. WormwoodScrubbsQPR

WormwoodScrubbsQPR Active Member

The match was dire. England only one shot on target and that was a weak effort straight at the goalkeeper.

Passing poor; movement off the ball poor; ideas poor.

England manager Sampson completely deluded .."An excellent England performance".

Do they do drugs tests on managers? If they do then I would like to know if Sampson is on something or just intellectually challenged.

fusari805 likes this.
  10. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

apparently two of the England defenders where having a discussion about shoes when France scored

11. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

One of the venues is in Moncton, New Brunswick, 2 hr drive away from where I live.

As a Father's Day gift, this Sat my oldest daughter is treating me to the following two matches with her:-

2:00PM - Match 23: FRANCE v. COLOMBIA

5:00PM - Match 24: ENGLAND v. MEXICO

Our stadium ticket price is C$68 (around £34) for these two matches. Now you are not allowed to leave the stadium in between matches and I believe only a bottle of water can be brought in, so they are likely going to try and flog you a bunch high priced food & drinks. We'll load up with a good lunch before we go in. Apparently at today's matches in Moncton the line-up was 1 hr to get seated.

I didn't watch GB v FR today, but I see one of our players picked up a real shiner in this match.

I generally like to take advantage of world class sporting events and concerts when they occur right on my doorstep and travel & accommodation is not a major factor in the overall ticket cost.

12. Kilburn

Canada was rather lucky with that penalty call. Matches are played over 4 time zones (Vancouver > Moncton).

My daughter wanted to go to a few matches, so I'm just getting into the swing of things. After our past season, the matches couldn't really be much more dire than that.

So a bit like the Word Association thread? The Cryptic one is fun too!

aqualung likes this.
  13. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

I think you should cheer on Columbia
    Unless there is a late surge of support for the USA I will be tonight in the under 20s world cup

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

No, not at all. The football may not be very good, but it is competitive and has a purpose. The cryptic crossword thread, although I rapidly lost interest, at least exercises the brain a little. The word association thread is, err, how should I put this......moronic. But it's clearly close to your and Marine Boy's hearts.

If I now write 'just having a bit of a laugh' and a couple of smiley faces, I'm sure no one will take offence.

15. Bwood_Ranger

It's not too late to back out! Three hours of that and you'll be missing the glory days of Adam Bolder.

16. aqualung

That sums it up in a nutshell. Good point.

17. aqualung

You really are a bundle of joy aren't you.

18. Kilburn

I'm participating for the opportunity to have a nice day out with my oldest daughter - she's really into this and wants know if we'll dress in "colours" - she asked if she could wear my R's home shirt and could I perhaps wear my special Kilburn 60 away shirt - I'll likely oblige and get a few comments from other spectators. Might even wear my not606 lapel pin too.

As your kids get older, move away to university, then a career, their own family etc. you get to spend less & less time with them, so you have to take advantage of quality time together occasions like this. Unfortunately 10mm of rain of forecast for Sat and we will likely be at the venue from 1:00 - 7:00pm.

In various WWC matches so far I've actually witnessed some really good goals, plus some atrocious defending, as demonstrated in the Brazil v Korea 2-0 match last night, where despite the eventual score line, Korea had three gilt-edged opportunities to score but failed to do so. As far as the woeful defending, I'll feel right at home after our last season.

I enjoyed the bite of the USA v Aussie match too, where both teams really competed hard and bar brawler Hope Solo really kept them in the match. Most people here generally want USA to lose, whatever the sport, and especially against CAN. There are bitter memories of a past match where Canada were leading and US players got in the ear of the ref to invoke the 5 sec goalkeeper ball possession rule, and the ensuing free kick led to a goal and they won the match. CAN captain, Christine Sinclair, called them cheats in her post match comments and was censured with a three match FIFA ban I believe.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/olympi...men-s-soccer-call-continues-to-baffle-experts

I have five daughters and the whole family are watching the WWC matches on the big screen HDTV, so I just join in with the fun - if you've seen the kid's movie, Matilda, it's a bit of a Wormwood family thing!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Steelmonkey likes this.
  19. TimPR78

TimPR78 Well-Known Member

Would love to enjoy the womens world cup, but there is a difference between equality and pity!

20. QPR New York

QPR New York Active Member

You can't equate the woman's game and the men's game. It is an unfair comparison.

There are great individual players in the woman's game. Marta from Brazil is creative and explosive. She is good for a few "oooh"s during any match she is in.