1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Would promotion be a positive?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Owl, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Owl

Owl Member

Speaking theoretically, if we were to gain promotion back into the Premiership would this be a beneficial to the club or would a high Championship finish be brighter in the long term?

I am being optimistic and see no reason why we couldn't grasp 6th or possibly higher. But is our current squad strong enough for top tier football?

On the otherhand, if we were to remain in this league would be still be able to keep our current form into the new season? No doubt there will be attention to some of our star players and would we be able to extend Koren's contract will the interest rumoured from other clubs? A large part of our current success is in the loan players who have been key to the recent results. Would the chances of keeping Mannone increase if we were playing Premiership football next season? No matter how much I like to think about it I just can't imagine Cardiff allowing us to sign Gerrard, if they gain promotion then they will want to boost their squad either by selling him or trying to utilise the form he has found while with us.

I am undecided on whether promotion would be wholy positive for our club right now but can't decide whether we would have the same opportunity next year. Just wondering what other user's opinions are but I suspect TONY_WARNERS_FACE will appear shortly and attempt to switch the topic with his anti-Pearson/Pearson propaganda. :emoticon-0113-sleep

Good win today and let's hope that we can continue this charge on tuesday with a win against Burnley.
    UTT

2. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

Of course promotion would be a positive, for the club and for the city of Hull. Even if we were to come back down straight away, as long as we were competitive it would turn us into more of a "fashionable" club for us to attract better players.

Our team is obviously not strong enough to compete in the Premiership, and would need improving, but that's true of any club in the Championship at the moment.

I honestly just don't see the negatives in the club achieving promotion, I think some supporters just need to come out of their comfort zones and realise we're not the club we were 10 years ago.

3. City

City Active Member

I dont see how it can be anything but a positive.
    Premiership football with full houses and massive intrest in the club can only be a good thing.
    We wouldnt be foolish enough to make the the same mistakes financially and the team is young and hungry id say a better team than Blackpool took up.
    If we can get anywere near promotion weve got to go all out to get it next season there will be west brom, west ham, Wolves or whoever comes down to compete with aswell as the 3 out of the top 6 this season.

4. BernsteinTiger

BernsteinTiger Well-Known Member

I've been wondering this myself... I think given the Allam's backing and the new funds that promotion would bring in, it would have to be a positive. Plus you have to think, even if we don't succeed at PL level next season, we would be guaranteed parachute payments then until 2016. I think certain aspects of our squad are already ahead of where we were in 2008.

Our squad isn't good enough for the PL. But it wasn't in 2008 either - and neither was West Brom's or Stoke's. We would have to bring players in in the summer, but I would think we'd need to bring fewer in that in 2008. And with NP and Walsh - I don't think we'd be going for Mendy et al...

Part of me does think though... if we do miss out... And a few loans made permanents... and maybe a few more signings... could we challenge for the no. 1 spot in this league next season? I know we chant, "Silverware we don't care"... but we do know that being in the PL would mean battling for mid table at best... it might be nice to win a trophy before going back...

5. Owl

Owl Member

I was never implying we were the club of 10 years ago, I just think if we were to receive instant relegation in the Premiership that we would be left weaker and our squad more depleted than we were at the start of this season. A single year stint in the Premiership may be just advertising our talent to the mid-table clubs similar to the sales of Turner and Ricketts.
    Maybe I'm being closed-minded but I'd prefer to watch football in the Championship next year than observe us being slaughtered in the Premiership and gain a reputation of being a yoyo club.

6. City1904

City1904 Well-Known Member

Firstly a good article, well thought out and something i think we will all debate.

There are two way's to look at this if it was Duffen in charge it would be a negative thing, however with AP still at the club and NP and his boys around i think we would build something sustainable and something of a legacy. With all the money around if we are competitive but still not paying over the odds why can't we come down with a lot of more, large parachute payments and some young players.

However the impact it would have on Cooper/Oxley/Devitt/Cairney/Stewart/Chester is that they would not necessarily have any game time they would have to go out on loan again, we may have to build a complete new squad. Or do we go with the Blackpool mind set of who cares lets keep giving these guys games and just hope for the best.

Either way i am loving life in the Championship and just enjoying our football again, either way i will be here next year so its all good!

UTT!

7. MattTheTiger

MattTheTiger Well-Known Member

Financially it would greatly benefit us. The television and sponsorship money could go through the roof compared to what it is now and it would see us being able to keep the likes of bullard, olofinjana and other high earners. However I don't think the club would be able to compete in the premier league with the current squad and would therefore require significant investment, which I'm not sure if the Allams have enough money for. Lets be honest, £185mill isn't a lot of money in premier league terms and I wonder if it would affect the areas that we'd need to strengthen the squad enough to sustain a longer stay in the premier league. Id love to see us up there again but no before we are able to fully strengthen the squad, allow the whole squad to gel and buy the stadium and build up further assets which would enable us to borrow money without the threat of administration if we got relegated.

8. Owl

Owl Member

I'm not doubting Nigel Pearson but the pressure of suddenly requiring a higher quality squad and a summer to build it may result in another batch of players with potential they never reach/sustain. I would much rather continue to strengthen in the Championship until we couldn't possibly be overlooked for automatic promotion than start a Premiership season with a squad full of Mendy's.

9. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

Teams who go up automatically struggle just as much as teams who go through the play-offs though. So would it really make much of a difference?

10. Owl

Owl Member

Not to mention the stadium, I think it would be of greater interest to first invest in the seating capacity and gaining control of the KC Stadium before embarking on another Premiership adventure.

The worst part of Championship life is that goddamn awful BBC highlight programme, saying that I don't miss Mark Lawrenson either.

11. Owl

Owl Member

I was referring to the ability of the squad, there's no doubt that QPR are a stronger team (not implying they could survive without investiment) and I would feel more comfortable gaining promotion via a squad that I feel could atleast stand a chance of sustaining top tier football the season after. With automatic promotion our target from the start of a season and put into a reachable achievement by January we could start building in the transfers prior to promotion.

The risk of gaining a promotion against the odds with a team built of loanees that needs mass investment that could bleed the Allam's dry isn't something I would feel overall positive about.

12. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

Alright then, I understand the reasons for maybe not wanting to go up straight away, but what do you aim for whilst your builidng up to your push? Surely a team should be aiming to win every game they play? Are they going to stop trying if they get too high up the table? I just don't see how you can aim not to go up.

13. Owl

Owl Member

I just would rather remain a respectable club associated with Championship football than teams like Wolves and West Brom who are up and down more than a frog on meth...

14. MattTheTiger

MattTheTiger Well-Known Member

I agree here. I think that building the clubs assets should be more important as it would give the club a more stable financial foundation.

15. StrovolosTiger

StrovolosTiger Well-Known Member

Believe me, when you've spent as many years as I have following this football club, promotion is ALWAYS as positive.

16. Owl

Owl Member

If we focused on building a quality team over the summer, set our target as automatic promotion and gain control and expand our stadium. Then maybe we might be able to cut it in the Premiership, the extra income from the stadium capacity would fund survival transfers in January and the weak spots we hold now (centre midfield) wouldn't be hatched by a player yet to appear in our shirt.

17. guitartrax

guitartrax Active Member

Of course it would be beneficial, this time if we went up I,d say spend nowt, take the money stick two fingers up to the premier, be a yo yo team for a year or five, get a school of excellent/training acadamy to make/loan/sell homegrown players, use the money to make the club. Then build a ******* great team that will compete. But first and foremost financial stability is priority. We all learned after our first dip into the premier what is required to stay in it, and how easy it is to be sucked in and then blown out with nothing to show for it.

18. deanosjockstrap

An interesting one. I did think the best thing for the club would be a loss at Wembley this season, but with steady heads in charge like we have now I reckon promotion would only be a good thing.
    AP's flutter on Herman Munster as a footballing matters management synergy consultantizer or whatever the hell he was may have been triggered by panic looking at the books, apart from that blot I reckon we're rock steady and the cash would be wisely spent, without relegation meaning financial disaster too. The Allams talk of long term investment and AP and NP aren't prone to flaps or flights of fancy.

So purely a good thing with the current decision makers.

19. adamisme

adamisme Member

There are no negatives with promotion, especially if its back to the Premier League. Do we have a strong enough squad to keep us there, I'd say no we don't, not yet at least. We would need to bring in a few players with the experience to help the younger players, but to rush into buying players like we did before who in the end proved useless for us, then we'd just be causing trouble for ourselves. As long as Pearson had carefully selected players who he wanted and could do the job I think we could establish ourselves. But 1st lets get ourselves into a Playoff spot and keep ourselves there till the end of the season. All promotion talk is irrelevant until we're there

20. TigerRoo

TigerRoo Well-Known Member

Our problem is that we don't have the persona to attract quality players and no amount of money is going to change that. The best we could do last time was Cousin and Altidore and we got turned down by just about every player we approached including that laughable 10 million quid for Negredo. Promotion is great and would be a big boost to the finances but we have to accept our limitations just now which doesn't mean to say that it won't change for the better down the line. I loved promotion but can't say I enjoyed the fact that we were unable to compete at EPL level.