1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Yeovil 0-0 Argyle

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lyndy will be giving us a report when he gets back.......but in the meanwhile this looks like a bad result for us.

Comments online that in the first half we played as bad as at any time this season.....improved for awhile in the second period but goaless against one of the poorests sides in the division is not a good result.

2pts against two of the poorest teams in the division......Northampton, Oxford and Accrington all win again.......Northampton nearly out of sight.....12pts clear.....Oxford only 3pts behind and Accrington with two games in hand can equal out points total.

We can't score goals anymore and we're surviving because of our defence.

Daniel Nardiello has been left sitting on the bench for the last two games......why has he been brought here if he cannot get into a team who cannot score goals........we have to kick start our form soon or we will be in those damn play-offs again

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That "we can't score goals" comment is a bit harsh on Brunt plym. He can and has done regularly since being let loose. It is a bit worrying though that we can't beat these sides who are propping up the division and have been most of the season. If you look at the stats it doesn't seem as if Yeovil were any great shakes so it isn't as if they suddenly struck form. We were poor which is the biggest worry. Sometimes you can batter a team and still not get a result but we didn't do that so there is no excuse. Sounds like Forster was a weak link again after a decent first game at home. But, it sounds like there were a few weak links this time and some of them our favourites in the past. I will be bitterly disappointed if we fail to go up this season. I would take Wembley if successful but would rather it didn't come to that. I wish I could understand just how they can be so good one week and then so bad the next. They have collectively the ability to win games yet seem to lack something when it matters. Not as bad as underperforming Pompey but my concern is Argyle not them. I don't care what Northampton do it is the ones below us that matter and not who is champion as good as that might have been. I am bitterly disappointed tonight.

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Evening all, just back which isn't bad considering the A38 was closed in two places and an additional 'convoy system' also built in unexpected delays.
    TBH there is not a great deal to report on. Yeovil started the match the far brighter and would have been disappointed not to have scored in the first 15, they would have been equally miffed not to get a penalty/freekick on the edge on the box when Hartley blatantly handballed- the ref might have been unsighted and the lino gave nothing all night. I would like to say that Argyle came back into it but they didn't really. Wylde came the closest with a rasping shot on 17 mins that went just wide and this was the first time we even got into their box. Yeovil played some decent stuff on a good pitch, we were poor -probably the worst half of footballI have seen this season and the game plan seemed to be hoof it to Brunt, but it clearly wasn't working. HT 0-0 which is always a good position away from home and in fairness Luke didn't have a save to make. Mellor replaced the not very good Forster and HT and went close with his first touch but blazed wide. The start of the 2nd half was similar to the first but with Argyle doing all the attacking-15mins in though they had shot their bolt and despite chances at either end it had the feel of a 0-0. Luke pulled of a great save when it was one on one, and Jervis should have scored at the far post. Reid replaced Wylde but did little except argue with the ref.
    Can't fault the effort really, but it just wasn't happening and Yeovil are a far better side than their league position suggests but are obviously short of goals. One to forget and I suppose an away point is always a good one.

A couple of observations.

1) Yeovil (as a club) appear to be poorly organised - the burger van wasnt ready to serve food when we got there and for some reason they didnt open the turnstiles until 7pm by when there were huge queues and increasingly angry fans.
    2) The ref was at best average, missed a few things (mainly to our advantage) but still managed to book 6 players though there was hardly a bad tackle all night.
    3) No idea why Jervis played 90 mins; Carey still looks short of his best and it was a night when too many players were below par.
    4)Why is Nardiello here?
    5) Yet again the morons manged to set off a couple of smoke bombs-reckon we will be up in front of the FL soon if we cant control this element.

A fairly poor game all round and with other results going against us the matches against Oxford and Accrington look like being vital. Still think we will finish 3rd.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

They can't score goals sensible...........only two teams in the top half have scored less goals then us..........and two others have scored the same amount.

We our second in this league because of our defence........no team has a better defence....one team is on the same goals against as us......Northampton where leaky earlier in the season......but will soon be better, if they continue with there currant form.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You misread plym. I said Brunt can and he has. Starts ?, goals? How many games lately? My response to you was your comment was a bit harsh on him.

6. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

This beginning to worry me: I thought once we had McCormick, Reid and Carey back, we'd show more the form we had in the Autumn. Despite playing well against Mansfield - and missing a lot of chances that could have made it a cricket score - we've now had two poor results against teams you'd hope to beat in order to have a cushion for the forthcoming 6-pointers against Oxford and Accrington.

Maybe that autumn patch really was outperformance... or is it heavier pitches, especially at home, and tiredness in a small squad? I don't think it's the latter: key individuals have been out with injury and there's been quite a bit of rotation in the front 4. If anyone should be tired it's McHugh who's running about in midfield and has been virtually ever-present but he is a constant good performer. Are we missing Boateng to that extent?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I think the next two matches will answer the above points. In the cool light of day, i think the reason we 'only' got a point versus Yeovil is that they actually played pretty well and never allowed Argyle to settle. plus too may Argyle players weren't at their best. By all accounts we battered Crawley but didn't get the winner-this occasionally is just part of the game, and of course we hammered Mansfield so 5 points out of 9. Win Saturday and it will be 8 out of 12 or 2 points a game and pretty much where we have been all season and is definite promotion 'pointage'. Not worrying about the others is the key-we just need to focus on accumulating points and am fairly confident we will finish 3rd without too much of a sweat. Less than 4 points against Notts County, Oxford and Accrington and I might start to twitch a little.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

OK a little harsh on Brunt maybe......but I was considering the whole team.....who did share the goals around when playing well.....they certainly can't rely on Reid anymore.....how many minutes has he played since scoring a goal.

I don't know what Lindy saw last night....bur reports where that Reid spent most of his time on the pitch bending the refs ear......needs to knuckle down and not expect any favours from the Ref....he never has been favoured by refs before....so what is different.....lets give Nardiello a go....if he's fit.

9. notDistantGreen

There's a tide flowing against Reid but he is a proven scorer. Brunt is a trier and everybody likes one of those but until his recent renaissance, we'd have been horrified to think about Reid being out of the team. Let's not be so quick to forget the goals he's scored.

Given people have been in and out of the team, I'd be tempted to go back to where we started so well: McCormick, Mellor, Sawyer, Hartley, Nelson, McHugh, Threlkeld (until our Boateng comes in), Wylde, Carey, Jervis, Reid.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Sorry notdistant but there is no way you can drop Brunt. He is scoring and has taken his chance. To drop him now wuld be a real kick in the face and Reid does not deserve to replace him. Reid goes through patches and even when he did 20 a season was the same. At the moment he is going through his zero patch and we can't afford that right now. Jervis is another who has lost his way. Carey can be forgiven as he was out for a longish time and is only now coming back to match fitness. There is no single explanation why we have suddenly hit a bit of buffers and to be fair it hasn't been a big buffer has it. The fact is that the others have upped their game at the same time. I too am nervous for the season's outcome but lyndhurst is right, keep our nerve, keep picking up points and maybe we are worrying about nothing. We are still second after all. Gulp!!!!

11. notDistantGreen

Brunt is a good guy for the last 20 mins if you need to go long and get a goal. I think Reid is a bigger threat when you start a game and you are trying to build the play. Averaged over a season, I think he'll get more goals than Brunt, who is, you must admit, as prone to a pratfall as he is to make something happen. He's scored a few but he's also missed some sitters.

I like Brunt, I like his attitude and I wouldn't want to see him leave the club, but I'd still start Reid even if he can't make the full 90 minutes yet.

Jervis has the advantage over Tanner for the right side striker in that he's bigger and is more of a striker than a winger or playmaker. That means with Wylde on one side (and they can switch), Jervis is more likely to get into the box and back-up the "centre forward" whoever he is. He's another one who proved he can succeed and with a run of games, could do so again.

All opinion of course.. I'll take the points however they are won!

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You are right it's opinion and 3 people will all have a different opinion. I just cannot see how anyone can see Reid as better than Brunt right now. Brunt has done everything asked of him. Reid has done little as well as having had yet another injury. As for Jervis, he has missed so many chances it's beginning to get embarrassing. He was scoring for fun at the start but has done nothing of note except miss for a while now.

Like you I don't care who scores and gets the points as long as we do. Adams can put Ethel the tea lady on the pitch if she scores.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Jake Jervis is 24 yrs old and has already played for 13 clubs.......8 on loan......Argyle has been his most successful spell....scoring for every club he has played for....exept his first club Birmingham.......maybe he's getting bored and wants to roam again ?