1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

York 0-0 Argyle

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh dear......sounds like we where well below par......okay so our away form is poor.......but to only get a 0-0 result playing against ten men for something like 70mins is a win thrown away.

Even a poor Oxford managed to find two goals last week to beat us with a man advantage for an hour......how come we can't fathom it out..........is it the management being devoid of ideas......at least we used our subs this week.......Hartley replaced at half time......was he fully fit to start.........Nelson supposed to have had a few wobbly moments as well.........was Sheridan desperate to bring them back......maybe too early.....because we haven't got the back-up to replace them..........we certainly don't have any reserve strikers.......Sheridan doesn't seem to want to play Thomas at anytime........another disappointing day at the office......one measly point over the holiday period......should have been at least 6pts.........Sheridan needs to find at least a proven goal scorer who can give a good account of himself for 20mins........and another defender to strengthen a good defence....but only when they are not out injured.

2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just listened to John Sheridan on GoS..........he was highly critical of the teams performance and of their decision making......he played his strongest team and was disgusted by how they played.......he said......that he can't make decision on the pitch for them....it is up to them to workout the best way to play ten men for 70mins..........he also said that they played so slow that he felt like putting on his own boots and going out their himself.

Sheridan sounded really angry with how they performed and his frustration was obvious.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I find that quite typical of Sheridan who is never slow to blame in public when things don't go his way. Not the best way to motivate a squad in my book.

Didn't hear all of this game but have to say that the bits I did were not good on the ear that's for sure. When we played 10 men we were pants. Last week Sheridan bemoaned that us having 10 cost us the game. On the beed stats the only things going up following the Red were York's goal attempts, plymouth corners and plymouth's foul count. When you keeper is MOM playing 10 men and it's said that but for him we would have been dicked then it says a great deal. Lets face it we have had a chronic Christmas period football wise. Tired is about all I would describe it as and if that is the case then it does not look like a promotion chasing side does it. They have to get back on track and soon and let us just put this down to their bad spell which most teams seem to get. Get it over and done with early and push on from there. Or we're screwed and the first half of the season was as good as it gets this year.

4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Not a good result and performance but have to put that behind them and knuckle down. Exeter now above us, c'mon!

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not so hp..........Exeter one point behind us and played a game more.......they've lost three out of their last four games......and sold their star player Grimes.

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

BBC screwed up again Plym showing that we ended up 2 pts. behind them and Argyle in 8th place on text commentary.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Accrington scored very late winner.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not a very good several performances on the trot hp. Next up is Southend and that one will not be easy. Although Exeter blew it at the death they will end up above us at this rate. I'm not bothered about what Exeter are doing as such but to be top Devon side is something basic Argyle should be aspiring to at the very least.

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

We have a 3:5:2 method of play that works really really well when it works. The recent wins against Portsmouth and Dagenham were I think outstanding performances and the results just followed naturally.

What we lack is a Plan B: in both the Oxford and York games we've ended up playing 4:4:2 and failed, pretty miserably against York, although you could argue we deserved something from the Oxford game after Bentley's moment of madness.

Either the blend of the squad needs to be refined so that we can always play 3:5:2 or Sheridan needs to find a successful Plan B. In either case, we need better results away from home, which is odd as you'd think 3:5:2 would be ideally suited to away games where the opposition come at you more directly.

We're much better than we were on our good days and well done to Sheridan for that. We need more consistency and a bit of flexibility if we're to be promoted. Unfortunately, the current quota of loan players are all ones we'd want to keep so there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for manoeuvre there.

10. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

There has been a huge negative reaction in various places about gaining an away point at an inform (albeit bottom half of the table) team. Listened to it on the radio and there is no doubt that with the exception of the keeper we were awful from front to back, but the fact is it was an away point gained which would normally be very well received.
    There is no doubt that on occasion we have played some excellent football this season and certainly much improved from the last few years, however I think some of the players may have started to believe that they can just turn up every week and keep getting results without working as hard as they need to. So for me JS comments after the match were fully justified.
    On the plus side, no one team has really looked like pulling away from the pack and only Burton managed three wins over the last three games leaving us only 6 points off the automatic positions.
    A difficult January to come and I would be very happy with anything more than 4 points from the next three matches. Priorities are obviously to keep the 3 loanees and an attacker to put some pressure on Reid (R) and Allesandra would also be very useful.

Still positive and think we can get out of this division, but success or failure will be mainly down to the attitude and desire of the players from here on in.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There is no doubt we are far better than we were this season than say last season lyndhurst. Some of the football in comparison to previous has been a pleasure to watch and notdistant is right, when it works it not only looks good but the results automatically follow. He is also right that this seems to depend on the players being available to play it and when somebody new comes in then it isn't so cut and dried. Attitude also is not right if things aren;t quite going for them at times. Sheridan does indeed need a plan B that works and the players need to buy into it and know how to make it work. Without one I can see us dipping out at the end even if we are there or there abouts for most of the season. The disappointment of only getting one point at York was created by getting none when we had 10 men in the previous match. I would have settled for one until they went to 10 men so early. I fully expected all 3 after that and certainly did not expect them to struggle and hold on for the point.

12. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

My mathematics let me down back there: we went to 4:3:2 (ish) against Oxford of course!

But the point I was making was the 3 at the back thing. Plan B needs to cater for situation in which either we don't have 3 defenders capable of playing that formation (as per the Oxford game) or when the other side are only playing 1 up front and 3 defenders against 1 attacker is unnecessary (as at York).