1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Young footballers abused by coaches discussion thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38093421

Two more ex-footballers have told the Victoria Derbyshire programme they were abused as children by a coach.

Jason Dunford and Chris Unsworth - who had "never ever told anyone before" - both said they were abused by former Crewe Alexandra coach Barry Bennell. Several ex-players have already spoken out, making allegations about being sexually abused by coaches as children

A dedicated NSPCC hotline was set up after the abuse claims came to light and received more than 50 calls within its first two hours.

Meanwhile, according to the Guardian, another ex-footballer, who has not been named, has contacted police to say he was a victim of a former Newcastle United youth coach.

Mr Unsworth, 44, who lives in the Peak District, said he had decided to waive his right to anonymity and speak out after his girlfriend showed him an interview on the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme with ex-Crewe player Andy Woodward. Mr Woodward, 43, was the first player to go public last week to say he had been abused by Bennell. Having seen his interview, Mr Unsworth then told his partner he had been abused. "I had never, ever told anyone until that moment," he said. "I sat the rest of my family down yesterday and told them too. Speaking out is liberating."

More and more speaking out each day. The whole thing is disgusting. I hope it is looked into how abuse can go on this long.

2. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Hampshire Police launch investigation into child abuse allegations

Hampshire Police has said its detectives are investigating non-recent child abuse "within the football community".

The statement came after Cheshire Police revealed that "a growing number of disclosures" had been made to the force and Northumbria Police said it was investigating an allegation by an unnamed former Newcastle United player that he was abused in the club's youth system.

A string of former footballers have come forward since Andy Woodward became the first to speak out publicly last week about abuse he suffered at the hands of convicted child abuser Barry Bennell, a former Crewe Alexandra coach.

3. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. First the BBC now football. Are we a country of nonces?

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Hopefully people speaking out has a snowball effect and more people speak out. Disgusting what people in power can get away with.

I can see it being 100's if not 1000's of people effected. This is looking huge. :(

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  5. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

6. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I'm glad that people now feel able to get these things off their chests...I hope they don't get the on-line abuse that seems to go with such revelations.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

You missed out politicians.*

*allegedly

9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The police must feel they have had their fingers burnt by giving too much credence to false accusations against politicians (mainly by one person).

10. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

11. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Just seen the Unsworth interview. Damn it is upsetting.

A leading investigator into abuse in football has said a England player spoke to her about being abused, but doesn't want to go public

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  12. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Props to Daniel Taylor of The Guardian for running the very first story with Andy Woodward, and well done to Andy for being brave enough to speak out.

13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

14. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Just heard someone make the connection that Alan Davies and Gary Speed were both coached by Bennell at some point. Please, no…

15. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

crazy world :emoticon-0145-shake

paedophiles are worse than rapists. Should be hanged.

16. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I think we all have wondered and possibly guessed that it wouldn't be too long before more revelations reared their ugly head. It also makes you wonder just how far back this paedophilia has gone on? Stands to reason it just didn't start in the last 40 or 50 years. I can remember as a very young boy accusations being made by both girls and boys of inappropriate behaviour towards them.
    I can remember being in a school class room and we all were being lectured on the seriousness " of telling lies about adults" or of mis understanding things that were happening.
    The girl that used to accompany me on the school bus and see me home used to tell me of things that was happening to her she was probably about eight at the time. No one would believe her.. many, many years later I found out the girl had committed suicide when she was around 15 or so. It turned out she was pregnant. They said she did it because of the shame of having a baby out of wedlock. In the early mid 50s that was how things were. It was rumoured it was a local lad who was the father but couldn't be proved. No DNA testing in those days!!!
    The lad had to give up his apprentiship and leave the village. Eventually moving out of the country al together.
    Move on twenty years or so the guy was married and wondered why his wife wasn't having a baby. Yes you guessed it, they had tests. She was ok. He turned out to be impotent so could not possibly have been the father (apparently he had had mumps when he was thirteen or so)
    So two peoples lives ruined because they weren't believed.
    Sadly he lost his wife about 6 weeks go...... oh who was she...........only the best friend of the girl that committed suicide.
    I am currently in Australia and sitting next to me is the gentlemen in question he read the discussions and suggested I write about his experience and I gladly agreed. Hope you guys didn't mind........
    Footnote ......no.......no one has ever owned up to being the father of the child........but we know........

17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

This happened at our club allegedly and by someone who used to coach me.

18. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

That's an odd observation. How can you measure 'worse' here.?

19. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I understand why you say it is odd.
    Both perps are very bad.
    but children cannot even get help or communicate it properly. that is what I meant by 'worse'.

20. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

This is so very sad and much love and respect to all those brave people who are prepared to speak about their dreadful experiences.
    I have a number of friends who have had "difficult" childhoods and have been honoured by them feeling that they could share these dark moments with me...respect
    Lets make damn sure we offer all these people our support

The Ides of March likes this.