1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Your Gigs (And recommendations of gigs) Thread.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forgot_My_Lines, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Through the years I have been to so many music gigs. I use to go to at least 2 a week, every week. The Music scene in Norwich use to be really good.

These days, the exciting gigs are very rare. We often have to travel elsewhere.

After over doing it in Norwich on music gigs, I stopped going for a long time. I now book much more comedy gigs. We have had another good start to the year. So far we have seen:

18/2/2017 – Jon Richardson – Apex Bury St. Edmunds

19/6/2017 – Russell Brand – Norwich Theatre Royal

22/6/2017 – Adam Buxton’s Bug #17 – The Norwich Playhouse

Our future booked in gigs, I'm really excited about. A lot of my favorites, who I have never seen live before. They are:

22/07/2017 – 65daysofstatic – Art Centre Norwich ( this will be about the 8th time I've seen them)

25/07/2017 – Matt Forde + Flo & Joan – Art Centre Norwich

5/9/2017 – Ricky Gervais – Ipswich Regent

21/9/2017 – Ed Gamble – Norwich Playhouse

25/10/2017 – Paul Zerdin: All Mouth – Norwich Playhouse

6/12/2017 – Greg Davies – Ipswich Regent

10/03/2018 – John Robins – Cambridge Junction

What gigs are you going to? Are there any bands playing that you love and most people won't know about? Have tickets gone on sale of a band or comedian that you need to be quick for? Spill!

I use to be involved with promoting music gigs in Norwich a few years ago. We did really well, and brought in so many class young bands. We even got "Mono" from Japan. Jeniferever from Sweden. Both are Post-Rock gods. God Speed at UEA was another. We don't have that now. If these gigs dont sell well, they don't have them as a priority booking. Support the local venues. Up and coming bands don't include us much anymore.

2. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

I go to loads of gigs - it is an obsession of mine. Mostly rock, blues and country - I'm off to the Amplified festival next weekend and then the Ramblin Man festival the week after. Then it is Helfest and the Cambridge Rock Festival. The autumn is manic with so many bands touring - I have 27 gigs booked for October and November - it's crazy but I love it.

There are loads of great up and coming rock bands out there playing great venues such as Nottingham Rescue Rooms, Birmingham Institute, Camden Black Heart, Cambridge Junction and the Waterfront in Norwich. I prefer venues like this to the "corporate" arenas such as the O2, Wembley Arena, the Genting and Barclaycard Arenas in Birmingham - there is more atmosphere in the smaller venues and the gigs seem more "real".

These brilliant new bands are well worth checking out: Stone Broken, Massive Wagons, Fireroad, Broken Witt Rebels, Vega, Screaming Eagles, Trucker Diablo, Bigfoot, Buffalo Summer, Knock out Kaine, SKAM, Mason Hill, Wicked Stone, Bad Flowers, The Fallen State and Dereham's own Bad Touch.

In my view the rock scene in particular has never been better and if you are into going to gigs I recommend getting out there and going to these shows - without us going to them the smaller venues may eventually close and that would be a real shame with so much talent out there wanting to play.

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  3. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I might have to check out some of the bands you mentioned above, just for some context as to what they might do, who are your favourite rock bands that I will have heard of?

I haven't gone out of my way to go to that many gigs of late, I know a couple of pubs locally that always have live music at the weekends, I will generally pop in and it doesn't really matter who is playing. The last big gig I went to was Pearl Jam at the MK bowl, they were bloody good, but BRMC in support were even better. I've never been to the rescue rooms, but will have to give it a look as it's local for me. Rock city is an alright venue with some good bands sometimes too. I hate the sterile environment of places like the motorpoint arena or theatre royal, siting in lines to watch the bands. May as well wait for a tour DVD.
    Best band I ever saw live were Metallica, with Aerosmith a close second.
    Anyway, I currently have none scheduled. But having seen this thread, I think I need a kick up the arse to get to a few more. (The wife is not always so easy to coerce into these things, but we'll give it a go)

Bah!

4. Forgot_My_Lines

I loved the MK Bowl as a venue. We went a few years ago to watch Biffy Clyro support Foo Fighters. Great day/night.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  5. General Melchett

It is a great venue, me and the mrs got right down in the main crowd infront of the stage, some friends however were content to sit toward the back on the raised banks. Not sure why you'd go to see a band and then watch them on a big screen from afar? It's like comedy stadium gigs, after Peter Kaye at the NEC, I'll not go to one again, not that he wasn't funny, it's just that even with half decent seats about a 3rd of the way up the floor, to actually see his facial expressions you really needed to look at the big screens and then whats the point? may as well wait for the DVD.

Bah!

6. oldcanariesfan

GM - my favourite bands of all time would be Thin Lizzy, Europe, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Rush, Gun, Drive By Truckers, Iron Maiden and Heart. I love the up and coming bands - their music is so energetic and fresh - try to get to see some if you can. The Rescue Rooms is probably my favourite venue - just a gnat's fart from Rock City (literally 10 yards down the road) - always a great vibe in there.

Bah !

7. General Melchett

Will do

Bah!

8. Carbrooke Canary

Carbrooke Canary Active Member

agree Rescue rooms is a great venue, saw Justin Currie there and Josh Ritter, both great gigs. best gig I ever went to was the Who at the Granby Halls in Leicester back in 75(I think) but bettered this year by Paul Rodgers in Nottingham doing the Free Spirit tour celebrating Free's hits. fantastic, still got the voice and really enjoyed himself too!

9. oldcanariesfan

Saw Paul Rodgers on the Free Spirit tour in Oxford recently - he was joined on stage for the first encore (Money) by Robert Plant and Brian Johnson - that was a bonus on what was an amazing gig anyway. His voice is simply stunning and is as good as it has ever been. Top gig !!!

10. The Talking Donkey

The Talking Donkey Active Member

Alabama 3 are always a good night out.

11. Forgot_My_Lines

65daysofstatic were incredible as always on Saturday night.

Tonight was Flo & Joan. A very funny duo who do comedy songs. And Matt Forde the political comedian who was also a host on talk sport with Jon Richardson. He was brilliant, so glad I've finally got to see him live. His Trump impression was so funny!

12. Forgot_My_Lines

Urgh!! John Robins has added a date in Norwich!!

I booked a hotel and tickets for Cambridge!! I might have to book Norwich tickets. After his last Norwich gig, he went into the City looking for real ale pubs and tells stories on his podcast of how he met people etc! I wanted to be there!