1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth & Loanee Watch

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, Aug 22, 2015.

1. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Whats a 5-0 defeat over mean :emoticon-0140-rofl: I had to click the link.

DHCanary likes this.
  2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Perhaps I was having a funny turn, canario! <laugh>

carrowcanario likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

A quick summary of our players from last night -
    Killip – 6 - Had very little to do, so hard to give him anything higher
    Ramsay – 7.5 - Very impressive in defence, linked up well with Josh in the first half and a great cross for Lafferty’s second goal
    Efete – 7.5 - Very solid in central defence and made some decisive tackles
    Bennett – Not youff!! Had a good game though
    Lewis – 7 – Put in some good tackles to thwart Zagreb attacks
    Godfrey – 7 – Played as a midfielder and made some good link up play
    Maddison – 8 – Robbed a Zagreb defender and passed to Lafferty for the first goal. Won 2 penalties and scored from one.
    Adams – 7 – Some intelligent link up play
    Murphy – 7.5 – Some really skilful play and scored an incredible solo goal
    Cantwell – 7 – Replaced Murphy and had a couple of attempts on target. Scored a penalty at the death
    Lafferty – Not youff!!! – Took both his goals well and could have had a hat trick!!!
    Jarvis – Not Youff!! Quiet game, as more of the action was on the right wing with Ramsay/Murphy
    Middleton – 7.5 – Had an almost instant impact, scoring a great goal and forcing a save from the Zagreb keeper. Zagreb had to report to fouling him to stop his runs.

I'm certain several of these players would acquit themselves well IF given a chance in the first team and they played as a TEAM!!!

ncgandy, RiverEndRick and canary-dave like this.
  4. RiverEndRick

Well, given that the Murphys, Godfrey, Thompson, Toffolo, Morris and Grant have already made it to the senior squad there's a pretty good start on that already. Maddison and McGrandles (now that he's recovered from his broken leg) would seem the next most likely to move up (though the Pinkun listed Maddison as a 'senior player' for last night's game). It would seem that Efete, Ebou Adams and Ramsay could be nearing a move up as well which would make 12 in all, but I think we're a long way from seeing them all play in the first team just now. Having said that though, these players are at the heart of the dynasty AN is building. Should we fall out of the promotion race I'd hope that most of these would be given a chance to show what they can do at Championship level for the rest of the season and then next season as well. Interesting that Lewis, normally a winger, played at FB by the looks of it and was credited with making some good tackles, suggesting the type of attacking player AN is looking for. Further down the line, Cantwell, Middleton and Hylnsson look to be great prospects as well. Long live the dynasty!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    carrowcanario and canary-dave like this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great post Rick and as I’ve said earlier now is the time to have a major clear out of those players who’ve been around since PL was our manager. I totally agree that as soon as it becomes obvious that we’re not going to make the play-offs, then some of the players you mentioned in your post should be given their chance to show what they can do. I wouldn’t want to field a team made up entirely of the youngsters, but hopefully, Pinto, Klose, Howson, Pritchard and Oliveirawill still be around next season to offer support and guidance.
    Chris Goreham touches on how several of players have been together since PL was our manager - http://www.edp24.co.uk/features/nor...s_how_hard_it_is_to_gain_an_upgrade_1_4907748 <yikes>
    My most worrying problem is what to do about a GK, as I’m not sure if Killip is ready to make the step up and neither Ruddy nor McGovern fill me with confidence. <ok>

Edit - I'm 'famous!!! <laugh>
    That's me in my NCFC top on the end f the row just at the top of the stairs -

u23.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  6. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

You've not grown any prettier! <whistle><laugh>

JM Fan likes this.
  7. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Ruddy and McGoven are more than adequate championship standard keepers. We also have Rudd at Chalton although I confess I've no idea how he's been getting on. Our biggest problem and has been for 2 seasons now is that no one seems to want to tell Martin he's not a CB nor our best choice for captain.

8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

He'd be one of the first players I'd offload (along with - Whittaker, Bassong, Naismith and Jarvis). Either Efete/Godfrey can certainly step up IMO, as can Ramsay at RB. All 3 had an excellent game for the under 23s last night. <ok>
    I'd build a team around Pinto, Klose (if he stays), Howson, Thompson, the Murphys and Oliveira (aka Basil).

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  9. RiverEndRick

I think the progression will be slower than that, JMF, with those at the end of their contract leaving first: Turner, Whittaker, Bassong, Mulumbu and Lafferty. We can't afford to pay off contracts. IMO Martin is useful cover at both CB and RB and Naismith was an important part of our recovery before he was injured. I agree with your view that we should rebuild around Pinto, Klose (if he stays), Howson, Thompson, the Murphys and Oliveira, but I also think that Jerome (11 goals in 24 appearances) has a part to play, especially in away games. I agree with canario that Ruddy and McGovern are sufficient for now. I'd like to concentrate on our weaknesses, which for me means a left-sided CB to play alongside Klose (if he stays). I'd also like to see us move heaven and earth to sign Dijks on a permanent contract, as he has been an inspiration since he arrived. Wildschut has been coming back from a hamstring injury and I think we haven't seen the best of him yet. IMO, Wes is still our principal AM, but he can't play every game so both Pritchard and Maddison should get chances to develop. Thompson looks promising, but we need Tettey's experience as well. Young players learn from older players and we should use that in this transition period.

JM Fan and carrowcanario like this.
  10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yet another great post Rick.
    I especially like the idea of trying to persuade Dijks to sign a permanent contract, as he has been an inspiration, especially in the last few home games.
    Yes, our biggest weakness (as it has been for MANY years!!!) is at CB and we just HAVE to fix that in the summer if we're to progress. I wonder if Efete could fit the bill and I'd certainly like to see him given a chance to prove himself.
    Wildschut I think could be a good buy as you say, but I'd prefer to see Wes' appearances limited as an 'impact sub' and perhaps starting the occasional game.
    I think one of the reasons we were so successful last night was the fact that there was a mix of senior players in the team, though I disagree with the claim that Maddison was a 'senior player' as unless I'm mistaken, he hasn't yet played for the first team, though Godfrey has had a 15 minute cameo.

11. RiverEndRick

Apparently he played in one EFL cup match before going on loan to Aberdeen. Certainly he trains with the senior squad now that he's come back from loan. Morris has also made one appearance in the league in the 2014-15 season, so I guess he's a senior player as well.

JM Fan likes this.
  12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent knowledge Rick and EDP columnist David Freezer confirms it in this article - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...while_on_duty_for_norwich_city_u23s_1_4910392
    I especially liked this comment in the EDP article - "The youngster continued to be at the heart of City’s good play and was brought down again in the closing stages – but let Todd Cantwell roll the spot-kick home on his 19th birthday. Forcing his way into the first-team reckoning this season may prove tough but Maddison is already showing what he is capable of."
    Despite this glowing report, I still don't believe that AN will even have him on the bench now that the lumbering Naismith is fit again. I'm NOT advocating that he should be in the squad for Saturday, but I'm quietly optimistic that he may get his chance in our 2 home games that follow.
    Watch this space!!! <ok>

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  13. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Now the season is tantamount to all over for Norwich, Mr Neil hs two realistic options.
    1) Play people who may fetch a bob or two at the end of the season - this doesn't include those whose contracts expire in June like Bassong etc.
    2) Experiment and be brave enough to put some trust in these young players who have done so well in reserve and youth games in both cup and league this year.
    I wonder which path he'll go down? :emoticon-0112-wonde
    :emoticon-0106-cryin

JM Fan likes this.
  14. RiverEndRick

I'm not sure about how soon more young players will get a chance but IMO AN has been better than PL and CH at bringing on our young players. Jacob and Josh are now regulars on match days and Thompson was on the brink of the same when his injury ruled him out for the rest of the season. He's also clearly impressed by Godfrey, who at 19 is on the verge of breaking into the line-up either in defense or mid-field. Maddison's loan experience at Aberdeen has clearly contributed to his development and if we fail against SW, I can see him getting his chance soon, probably from the bench initially. In Wes and Pritchard, he has two excellent players to learn from.

15. canary-dave

Not usually one for chest beating but I find it gratifying and extremely satisfying seeing our youth proving to be very strong bearing in mind the ridicule I received from a certain quarter when I first metioned the building of a dynasty at NCFC. :)

Long may it continue! <cheers>

16. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

We have to hope so, because we're going nowhere fast with the current first team, and are therefore unlikely to be able to buy much from outside any more.

A telling quote from a poster on the MFW article 'the longer we leave it, the more Ipswich we become'. That's enough to frighten any hardened City fan!

17. canary-dave

18. RiverEndRick

How might the squad develop next year:

GK: Ruddy, McGovern, Matthews
    RB: Pinto, Martin, Ramsey
    CB: Martin, Bennett, Efete
    CB: Klose, (New CB) Godfrey
    LB: Dijks, (New LB?), Toffolo
    CM: Howson, Dorrans, McGrandles, Ebou Adams
    DM: Tettey, Thompson, Godfrey
    WR: Jacob, Jarvis, Jaiyesimi
    WL: Wildschut, Naismith, Josh
    AM: Hoolahan, Pritchard, Maddison
    S: Jerome, Oliveira, (New Striker), Morris

That would be a 33-36 player squad with possibly new players coming in at CB, LB and Striker paid for in part by saving the considerable salaries of those departing. It's possible that AN might see Toffolo as sufficient back-up at LB, but given that Dijks can also play as a left-sided CB, a new LB could make that possible. Similarly a new CB who could also play at LB might mean we don't need another LB. Just some possibilities to speculate about really.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  19. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd stop speculating about him if I were thee. The deal was - and still is as I understand it, that he'd consider staying if, IF we went up. Well, we're not and he is merely using his remaining time here (to bloody good effect) to put himself in the shop window.
    Si, if Toffolo is not deemed trustworthy in that role by AN, we'll need to recruit 2 LBs <yikes>

JM Fan likes this.
  20. RiverEndRick

You're probably right, Cromer, but I'm hoping that he feels it's worked out well here and wants to stay when the time comes. It could happen as he's only 23 and this gives him a good chance to establish himself in English football. We thought Klose would leave after relegation, but he didn't. It could happen again.

JM Fan likes this.