1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth & Loanee Watch

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, Aug 22, 2015.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

As much as I would have loved to have seen the emergence of youth into the first team set up, what is being said does make sense and I'm willing to accept it now that AP seems to be starting more games and has been MotM in several. I guess we may see Naismith start either tomorrow or Monday to give Hoolahan a breather.

2. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I'd imagine, had Maddison and Godfrey been on the bench they should have had a run out last weekend. Disappointing that they had made all the previous team selections until that game. Ah well hindsight and all that.

JM Fan, RiverEndRick and canary-dave like this.
  3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm NOT holding my breath, but if AI STARTS with Hoolahan, then I'll be TOTALLY convinced that he is AN in disguise and he'll probably give the excuse that JM injured himself getting off the bus!!!! <laugh>
    I'd LOVE to see both him and Godfrey if not starting, then get around 30 minutes to prove what they can add to the team.
    I'm hoping to be out on the golf course instead of listening to it.

Edit - I've just read the end of the article - “He wouldn’t have played from the start but clearly I now need to have a look at what the best thing is moving forward. It would have been a lovely game last week (against Reading) for a young player or two to have got a little taste of it. It might not have been quite as lovely a taste against Fulham. They have to be ready. They also have to have a team around them who can help.”
    Actually Alan, I think it is THEY who can HELP the team!!!! <doh>

5. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

<applause> Spot on. The doddering, ageing, clearly disinterested old regime need a damned good shake up and at the moment, they're not getting one. Argument about this on twitter lately about the perceived benefits of giving JM and Godfrey a run out - some saying that Webber needs time to look at and assess the squad with a view to retaining or disposing of at the end of the season.
    Surely he would have seen enough of all the usual suspects on Friday to have made some reasonable decisions already? <doh>

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I would HOPE SW has a chart in his office counting down the days to the end of the season when he can quite easily and quickly jettison the out of contract players and it will be REALLY interesting to see who else can be 'persuaded' to leave and i imagine that some may have to be sold at a loss.

Edit - A priceless comment on the Archie article that Cromer referred to - "But when Irvine says youngsters need a team around them who can help you have to laugh. This squad have not helped each other in adversity all season."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  7. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

The young players need the experience of playing Championship competition. They need to see how they stack up against other players they will be expected to play against and what they should work on, where they are weak; and where they are strong.

For those who have seen Effete play, what sort of speed/quickness does he have? Our CB's are so freaking slow and lack quick reaction.

8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Exactly CS and whilst I'm not sure they should feature against Brighton/Leeds,I think the games V Preston and QPR would be an excellent opportunity to give them a taste of Championship and I'd say that with JM the majority of the SPL is probably equivalent to the lower half of the Championship.
    Efete certainly appears to be pretty quick and Godfrey who has often partnered him at CB is also quite speedy, but Ben seems quite happy playing anywhere in midfield. When you think that the under 23 defence only conceded 4 goals (scored 15) up to the semi final of the International PL Cup, you can see why I'm hankering for them to either be given a chance in the first team squad next season, or loaned out to aid their development!!! <ok>

Canary Spring likes this.
  9. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, JM.

I can't see putting players on the bench who in all likelihood will be gone in the summer.

JM Fan likes this.
  10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Whilst I take on board the comments from RER about the youf being introduced gradually (AI seems to agree with this policy), my concern is how many agents of our under 23 stars who have made it to 2 cup semi finals (they have beaten the likes of Everton and Liverpool under 23s en route) will be looking to offer some of them to lesser clubs for a pittance and we have to start all over again.
    I'm hopeful that SW will be true to his word and encourage the development of the academy and give some of these more promising players a chance with the first team or get them out on loan to League 1 sides next season.

Edit - OK, their PL league performance has been very poor by comparison, but several of the better players have not featured in league games!!

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

No great surprises here, many on this forum - especially those who followed the under 23s games etc have been championing this for what seems like an eternity.
    Alex Neil may have done his bit to assemble the next generation, but apart from Jacob Murphy, was very reluctant to use them apart from cup games etc.
    Let's hope the new HC puts a little more trust in our young guns <ok>
    http://readnorwich.com/2017/05/02/five-youngsters-who-deserve-a-chance-at-norwich-next-season/

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree, but I'd certainly add Efete and possibly Ramsay into the mix.

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So Scotland's under 17s get a 2-0 win against the Faroe Islands in their first game in the European finals. They have tougher matches ahead against Hungary on Saturday and France on Tuesday I think it is. Middleton was subbed on 76 minutes.
    Comment from the Scottish Sun - "On the other flank, Norwich up-and-comer Glenn Middleton was doing his best to spark an opener."
    Follow UEFA.com on Facebook and Twitter or download the UEFA.com app if you want to watch the games

14. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Hopefully there will be a good number of youngsters in Sunday's team against QPR. We have nothing to play for so let's give these youngsters free range to enjoy themselves.

zogean_king and JM Fan like this.
  15. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Haven't we all been saying that for the last 3 games?

JM Fan likes this.
  16. SuffolkCanary

Norwich team announced:

Ruddy
    Bennett Turner Bassong Dijks
    Mulumbu Tettey
    Naismith Hoolahan Whittaker
    Lafferty

:emoticon-0103-cool:

JM Fan likes this.
  17. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Is there an unlike, but probably true button somewhere?!

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  18. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Well, Naismith certainly won't be involved, being suspended. A win would allow us to finish in 8th place, which though not great, would at least be in the top third. Both Murphy's should be involved (though they're no longer really youfs). I can't see any of the released players featuring, so Efete and Godfrey could make the bench alongside Maddison, if he doesn't start.

JM Fan likes this.
  19. SuffolkCanary

No Turner, Bassong, Bennett or Mulumbu as they haven't trained since hearing they wouldn't have their contracts extended.

So with Bennett dropped, it will depend on how fit Klose is coming back from injury, expect Godfrey or Efete on the bench.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I wonder if Middleton will have a better game for the Scots under 17s against Hungary tomorrow???
    They surprisingly beat France 3-2 in their opening game.