1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Whatever happened to Marcus Tregoning?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Bustino74, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

When Dick Hern had his heart problems in 1988 and had to spend months in hospital, Neil Graham was placed by Lord Porchester in charge of West Ilsley. Hern’s choice would have been Marcus Tregoning, who had been his assistant earlier in the ‘70s. As it was Hern came back to West Ilsley for 2 seasons and had the remarkable Nashwan year of 1989. Tregoning returned to be Hern’s assistant trainer as Hern moved to Kingwood House Stables, set up for him so generously by Hamdan Al Maktoum.

On Hern’s retirement in 1997 Tregoning took over. His main owner was of course Hamdan, but he had several others and his future looked rosey. He did have some success, his best horse perhaps being Nayef, although some people might argue Sir Percy who won him his only Derby in 2006 was near to him or better. He had a few other good horses, especially Mubtaker who with a bit of luck could have been much talked about. But pickings have been slim over the last 5 years and he too often had had years when it’s been June before he’s had a winner. The last horse I can recall him having of interest was Rumoush, who turned out to be a disappointment.

Well this lack of success has to be paid for and Tregoning has vacated Kingwood House and his place has been taken by John Hills. Tregoning is now camped at David Elsworth’s old yard at Whitsbury and has a much reduced string. He still has a few of Hamdan’s horses but Hills has far more. This really is a fall from grace. In Horses in Training it is clearly stated that Barry Hills ‘manages’ Hamdan’s horses at the Kingwood House yard. John Hills has a fabulous opportunity now and I’m sure his father will lend all his experience to help him succeed.

Tregoning may do well at Whitsbury. To me he has always seemed a gentleman trainer from a bygone age, and perhaps not endowed with the inner toughness of a Stoute or Gosden. He always seemed very personable and straight and I wish him well.

2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Yes, Bustino, I do hope success starts to come his way again soon. Haven't had a chance to read through his website but will do later on in the day. Interesting thread. <ok>

http://www.marcustregoningracing.co.uk/

3. Bluesky9

Bluesky9 Philosopher

I think that he is a very personable gentleman but I also feel he has very much underachieved when you consider some of the blue blood passed his way. On many occasions I have seen a Tregonning horse in the Hamdan colours run with clear ability and thought how the horse should be watched as has the ability to win races and yet it rarely did. Whether it's a case of not being able to get the best out of them or placing of them I would not know but his success rate should have been better with some of those Hamdan horses. Amanda Perrett is a similar case as is patronised to a decent level by Prince Khalid due to her Fathers history with the Prince but it never seems to work out.

4. Bluesky9

Bluesky9 Philosopher

Personally the trainer I would most like to be sent some of those Hamdan and Prince Khalid horses is Ralph Beckett.

5. Bustino74

Yes I like Becket. Some of his forthright comments may not always endear him to some big owners.

6. stick

stick Bumper King

Bustino mentions him and he bangs in a winner!

What do you think of his lease plan for the juvenile on the website?

7. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Clever idea it is Stick, 25 grand a year for training fees gives them a profit of say 8 grand a year? If it wins a race then it will be worth the outlay for the actual owner.

Tregoning has had an awful few years, very few winners, legging up Katia Scallan rather than proper jocks, and then losing the yard. I am not a fan.

8. Bluesky9

Bluesky9 Philosopher

I couldn't see the horse for lease that you mention Stick. I always have reservations about buying a horse already with the trainer as although there will of course be exceptions who improve unexpectedly, in the main the trainer should be well aware of the worth of what he is selling and so the most you end up with is what you have paid or below. I think I would like to trust my own judgement (with advice of course) at something like the breeze ups and then send it to the trainer afterward. I thought the owner of Sire de Grugy gave himself a decent chance in the way he approached Gary Moore and asked him to invest 25%. Clearly this is not going to be common or an offer taken up by most trainers but it did give him that extra incentive to buy well and take an interest in the horse. Were I ever to be able to invest 25k in leasing a horse I would certainly have no hesitation in sending it to Ralph Beckett but would likely give Tregoning a swerve.

9. stick

stick Bumper King

A smarter pedigree than us mere mortals could usually afford and I love the concept of sharing the profit if it gets sold.

10. Bustino74

Well it's probably a better deal than a lot of companies offer you. In order to get your money back you'd have to sell her for 75,000 unless she's won a few timesthen she'll easily make that price. Has an interesting bottom half as it must have been marcel Boussac breeding at one time. Then became German so likely to be tough.

There you are. I tell you a share will rise and it goes down!

But this was the stable of Brigadier Gerard, Sallust, Highclere, Bustino, Troy, Sun Princess and Nashwan (all champions): Dick Hern must be turning in his grave.