1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BUILD UP AND MATCHDAY THREAD: Brentford Vs Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Sep 15, 2014.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Skybet Championship Round 7

please log in to view this image
    Brentford 0 - 3 Norwich City​

HT 0 - 0​

Tettey 68'
    Jerome 75' 83'​

Attendance: 10,074

Date: Tuesday 16th September 2014
    Venue: Griffin Park
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

The games are now coming thick and fast in the Skybet Championship and tomorrow's round 7 encounter between The Bees and The Canaries promises to be a cracker. Brentford have made an encouraging start to the season and sit in 6th place in the table carrying on the momentum from last term and their promotion from the third tier. They have lost only once in the league a one-nil reverse at Dean Court against Bournemouth and last Saturday they secured their first home win of the season beating Brighton 3-2 courtesy of goals from Moses Odubajo, Andre Gray and Jonathan Douglas.

Jonathan Douglas was on target for The Bees against Brighton

One stand out result so far this term for The Bees was the 6-6 drawn match at Dagenham & Redbridge in the first round of the Capital One League Cup, a game which they eventually went on to win 4-2 on penalties.

Norwich appear to have shrugged off their relegation hangover with Neil Adams side defeated only once this campaign away at Wolves on the opening day and are in 2nd place having won 5 of their last 6 games in all competitions. They go into this fixture on the back of an incredible result at The Cardiff City Stadium where, after trailing 2-0 at half time, they blew away the hosts after the interval finishing up 4-2 victors. It was the proverbial 'game of two halves' with City putting in an abject performance in the first 45 minutes and a blistering one after the break. Joe Ralls had put The Bluebirds ahead after just 4 minutes with Aron Gunnarsson doubling their advantage midway through the half. City looked a completely different outfit after a half time rollicking from boss Adams and were soon on level terms with goals from Martin Olsson and Wes Hoolahan. They secured all three points with an 87th minute well taken finish from substitute Cameron Jerome after Michael Turner had given The Canaries the lead on 71 minutes.

Wes Hoolahan celebrates his goal against Cardiff City

Catch up with official match highlights from City's visit to the Cardiff City Stadium here:

[video=youtube;eUKnwMnsmSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUKnwMnsmSQ[/video]​

So just what did Neil Adams say to Cameron Jerome before sending him on:

[video=youtube;Y8vGtkZti24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8vGtkZti24[/video]​

Current Form

Brentford: WDLWW

Norwich City: WWWDW

Match History

The Bees and Canaries have met 46 times in competitive matches, the first meeting being a 0-0 stalemate at The Nest in October 1920. The head to head record is remarkably close with City just edging it with 20 wins to Brentford's 18 there have been 8 drawn games, 3 at Brentford and 5 at Norwich. City have managed just 5 wins in the away fixture their best a 4-0 victory in 1958-59, a season also remembered for their giant killing FA Cup run where as a third division side they defeated Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Sheffield United among others before eventually losing a semi-final replay against Luton Town. That 4-0 winning margin is also City's best overall against Brentford. City's next visit to Griffin Park in September 1959 was also a high scoring encounter The Canaries taking all the points when they won by 4 goals to 3. Previously in the 1957-58 campaign Brentford had their best ever victory against Norwich, The Bees thrashing The Canaries 7-1 at Griffin Park. Tomorrow will be the first meeting between these two sides in over four years, with Norwich securing a one nil victory at Carrow Road the last time they played.

Highest Brentford score

Brentford 7 Norwich City 1

Highest Norwich City score

Brentford 0 Norwich City 4

Highest aggregate

Brentford 7 Norwich City 1

They played for both clubs

Those that have donned both the canary yellow and red & white stripes include; Che Wilson (loan), Owain Tudur-Jones (loan), Michael Spillane, Simon Ratcliffe, Efan Ekoku, Carl Cort, Drewe Broughton, Garry Brooke, Graham Benstead, Tom Adeyemi (loan), current City defender Michael Turner and current City striker Lewis Grabban who had loan spells before signing permanently for The Bees.

Other club connections

Tony Parks who joined City as goalkeeping coach in 2014 was once a custodian for Brentford.
    Former Norwich first team coach Paul Stephenson was a player at Brentford, former Norwich target man Robert Rosario was rejected by Brentford as a youngster. Most notably, former Norwich manager Chris Hughton was once a 'Bee'.

Interesting trivia

Griffin Park is the only ground to have a pub situated at each corner of the stadium.

LATEST TEAM NEWS

Brentford hope to add Portuguese forward Betinho to their squad for the visit of Norwich on Tuesday.
    Boss Mark Warburton signed the 21-year-old on transfer deadline day to replace Scott Hogan, who suffered a serious knee injury which has all but ended his season.
    But Betinho was unable to feature in Saturday's 3-2 win over Brighton as the Bees were still awaiting international clearance, which they hope will come through in time for Tuesday's clash.
    Stuart Dallas shrugged off a thigh injury to come on as a second-half substitute at the weekend so he should be involved again, but fellow wideman Sam Saunders is still recovering from a knee injury.
    Norwich will assess captain Russell Martin ahead of the trip.
    The Scotland defender has a back injury, which he sustained during Saturday's 4-2 win at Cardiff, but is expected to feature.
    Striker Cameron Jerome will be pushing for a start after coming off the bench at half-time and playing a pivotal part in the fightback in south Wales, scoring the fourth goal late on.
    Fellow forward Gary Hooper (dead leg) and midfielder Jonny Howson (knee) will be missing once again but are nearing returns.

Full Match Commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk 95.1FM, 104.4FM & 855kHz MW
    with Chris Goreham and guest match summariser Adam Drury

TEAM LINE UPS

OTBC

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Excellent again KIO, you really are a treasure! <ok>

3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Cheers Dave <cheers>

4. Puncturedtractortyre

Puncturedtractortyre Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that i like Jeromes attitude - the chap talks a lot of sense and is the Holt type character that we have been missing.

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

He could very well be our 'missing link' after watching the highlights of the Cardiff game. I thought him and Redmond were running circles round the Cardiff defence - it will be interesting to see if they can repeat the performance tomorrow.

6. BillyNCFC

BillyNCFC Well-Known Member

Absolutely bricking it for tomorrow, my best mate's a brentford season ticket holder and go to about 6/7 brentford games a season with him so have seen the team really evolve in the last 3 years. When they play well they play very well, thought they'd struggle without Adam Forshaw who's gone to Wigan who made them tick and rightfully won league 1 player of the year last year. Nevertheless Brentford are a very good team at home particularly so would take a draw right now to be honest.

It'll be interesting to see what reception Michael Turner gets, still a bit of a fan favourite with the bees fans i've spoken to since he joined. Just hope none remember I'm a norwich fan as i'm playing the neutral card tomorrow as i've been in asia for the last 6 weeks and couldn't get a ticket in the away end.

7. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Like Adams, I think we need to go for a win. Brentford have done well, but of their first 6 matches, 5 were against teams in the bottom half of the table with fellow promoted team Charlton the only exception. Tomorrow's match could come as a culture shock for them if City play to win from the start. Two away wins on the trot must breed confidence, but then again, football is a funny game...

8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great post RER.

I'm hoping that the confidence the team must have got by achieving a comfortable win after such a dreadful start at Cardiff will set them up for a positive start tomorrow, but also feel that NA will warn against them being too 'gung ho' from the off!!!

9. NCFC Dorset Branch

NCFC Dorset Branch Active Member

Patience to start with, but surely our class will tell.

10. SUPERNORWICH 23

SUPERNORWICH 23 SUPERNORWICH

WWWDW.. Bliss<ok>

11. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I've guessed at two changes in the starting eleven for this match. But I can see the logic of keeping the same starters again. What a position to be in. Without knowing very much about the Bees, I just cannot imagine that they will be able to repel our speedy forwards for the whole match. If they are attack minded I can see us scoring several on the counter.

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Big incentive for the boys to win tonight victory will take us top of the table with Florist not playing until tomorrow, won't be easy though <ok>

"Come On You Yellas !" ;)

13. Tony_Munky_Canary

Tony_Munky_Canary Well-Known Member

First game of the season for me tonight and I can't bludda wait!
    Just hope we play like Saturday's second half for 90 minutes rather than how we did in the first. Seen us play twice at Griffin Park and yet to see us win so hopefully it'll be a case of third time lucky!

14. goldeneadie

I keep getting the message on many posts "images removed for guests, please log in to see this image". I am not a guest and I am logged in. Why? It can only be a location thing as far as I can see as I also get messages for, what I assume are video clips "not authorised for your location". Anyone know how I can eradicate this problem please?

15. goldeneadie

I have just posted about my problem and the image appears in my "reply with quote". Will check other cases to see if this is a strange solution.

16. Tony_Munky_Canary

Tony_Munky_Canary Well-Known Member

I get that when I use my phone, and find that I have to keep resetting my profile to 'allow swearing' before the images appear. Really annoying that it keeps setting itself back to 'no swearing' despite the fact I remain logged in, but not sure of any way around it.

Pretty sure the swearing filter is what is causing your problem.

17. ColkOfTheBarclay

ColkOfTheBarclay Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this game! I think Jerome's performance against Cardiff showed why we need that focal point in our attack. It's all well and good having a striker who is scoring goals but when he doesn't offer much else to the team it makes our attacks more disjointed. I'm happy to keep Grabban in the team because he gets into good positions and knows where the goal is, but he isn't a lone striker, he needs support. Having a central target man gives us more options which means we can pump it forward when things aren't going our way and the ball wont come straight back, but that doesn't mean we have to do it every time! It's all about having those options.

I kind of hope Vadis gets a start this game, or at least a run off the bench. I haven't seen anything of him other than those Youtube clips (Which we all know can make someone look better than they are). I expect a few changes from Adams to be honest.

18. ColkOfTheBarclay

Pretty sure you're right Munky. I've had the same problem. Especially with the swearing filter. It's bloody annoying sometimes.

19. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Gotcha! :emoticon-0105-wink::police:

20. ColkOfTheBarclay

Sorry, I meant ****ing. :grin: