1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

First Season Sires 2014

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Bustino74, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

With the turf season over thought I'd look at the first-season sires picture.

Few people would have had Lope de Vega as their likely prize money winner, but win it he did from Showcasing and Zebedee. The Dewhurst winner Belardo was top of Lope de Vega's prize winners and given that this stallion is by Shamardal out of a miler bred mare then Belardo and his compatriots could give Lope de Vega a good second season. He was standing at 15,000g but I'm sure that will rise a little.

Lope de Vega had 12 winning horses who won 16 2yo races, but his winners to runners ratio was a healthy 33%. However that came nowhere near Showcasing's 50% ratio. This Oasis Dream out of Arabeque by Zafonic stallion had a magnificent first year getting 22 winners of 36 races. Anyone who sent their mares to him in 2012-2014 must be feeling pretty pleased with themselves.

But 36 wins wasn't enough to put Showcasing at the top of the races won league as he again finished 2nd, but this time to Zebedee (Invincible Spirit out of Cozy Maria by Cozzene) who had 38 winners at a ratio of 36% winner (25) to runner (70) ratio.

Honourable mentions have to be made to Fast Company (3rd in races won: 28), Paco Boy (4th in races won: 25), Approve (5th in races won: 24) and Equiano (4th in Prize money won from 18 wins). Everyone's tip for the top, Rip Van Winkle, was stalking these with 12 winners of 18 races. Starspangledbanner has to be the stallion who might have had it all as he sired 10 winners from only 17 runners because of his fertility problems.

Which brings me to this observation and that is that Danzig's grandsons and great grandsons seem to be taking over the numbers end of breeding. Here's a quick look:-

Invincible Spirit (by Green Desert by Danzig)

who has the following sons at stud
    Lawman, Mayson, Vale of York, Zebedee and now Kingman.

Oasis Dream (by Green Desert)

who has Frozen Power, Showcasing, Approve as well as the deceased Arcano.

Desert Style (by Green Desert)

who has Paco Boy

Cape Cross (by Green Desert)

who of course has Sea the Stars

While Danehill Dancer (by Danehill by Danzig)

has Mastercraftsman, Fast Company and Choisir (who himself has Starspangledbanner and Olympic Glory) at stud

while Danehill himself has the following sons at stud:-

Danetime (who had Bushranger), Dansili (who has Zoffany, Bated Breath and Harbinger), War Front (who has Declaration of War), Fastnet Rock, Redoute's Choice, Exceed and Excel, Duke of Marmalade, Dylan Thomas, North Light, Kodiac and many others. (especially in Australia/New Zealand).

There is another son of Danzig who is called Hard Spun, who is just about his youngest stallion and may himself produce sires.

I'm sure this list is far from comprehensive but what it does say is that there is a large amount of Danzig blood out there. They'll be tripping over themselves in the breeding sheds soon if sires like Lope de Vega don't make it big time!

2. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

One of the last sons of Danzig to go to stud is MAWATHEEQ (Shadwell UK) who had his first runners in 2014. He had just 12 individual runners in Britain, with no winners, but he has sired a few winners on the continent. As he was unraced himself at 2, it's not surprising to see that his offspring are not precocious.

Being by Danzig out of a daughter of Height of Fashion, he's certainly bred to do the job, if breeders give him the chance. From memory he has only covered small books of around 30 mares each season at stud.

3. MickDoonan

MickDoonan Member

Galileo now has 19 sons at stud which is frightening he truley is the king

4. MickDoonan

MickDoonan Member

Sorry it's actually at least 22 which could be more once I have a bit of research that's flat and NH that's almost 2 sons a year going to stud this year he has had australia noble mission kingsbarns ruler of the world and magician he really is something special

5. Bustino74

Yes it's strange Mick, Galileo mares will be ideal sorts for some of the Danzig stallions. It's already happened thousands of times.

Who's the daddy Norther Dancer or Nearco, and do you need something else?

6. MickDoonan

MickDoonan Member

I would say nearco but the so close breeding has made the difference I think and the crossing mares is unreal

7. Bustino74

Sorry I prematurely killed off Arcano, who is alive and well. I meant Aqlaam.

I would say Nearco as well. Mainly because of how important Never Bend and Blushing Groom have been (both sons of Nearco's son Nasrullah).

8. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Mick, I've finally got the stats for you:

Currently there are 27 sons of GALILEO at stud in Europe, with a further 5 to join the ranks from next year.

As of next year there will be 7 sons in the USA and there are at least 3 in Australia.

I've got the list of Europe/USA stallions if you want it.

9. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

I was very impressed with the Lope De Vegas.

Consort is the one im looking forward to most for next season.

10. MickDoonan

MickDoonan Member

Ty princess what would I do without you