1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

£25m??

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Whitejock, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

2. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

3. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Brentford at over £60m stunned me.

4. lifecheshirewhite

Moving ground soon as well so must have a rich owner.

5. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure most of those figures are wildly inaccurate.

Derby £3 million for example and WBA £0

Someone is telling porkies !

wakeybreakyheart and 2 pennth like this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Things to note:

Look at clubs with a parachute payment who are not bothered as they pick up £20m this season.

Look at clubs from the prem who didnt go OTT like Swansea and WBA and still have parachute money to come

Look at the clubs who did spend shed loads but have new owners who wiped their debts. Derby, Forest

Leeds will never get this close again so i expect Radz to invest this January as long as Bielsa allows it, because he is close without a big lay out of cash. Radz isnt Bates folks

7. Jammy 07

How much do you think we need to invest Doc ?

Seems to be some quality players scattered around Europe so maybe it's more of financial commitment on wages than fortunes on transfer fees. Was having this debate with a mate last night and his view was if we need to pay 100K a week to get up we should do it.

That was for one player by the way.

8. Jammy 07

Perhaps I should add he backed up his argument by saying...

100K per week so say approx 500K per month for 6 months because by then you're in the PL = £3 million

Sign 3 top quality players and it would cost you £9 million plus transfer fees.

Interesting argument but obviously would never happen as it would be a huge gamble.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  9. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Personally I think recruiting a player on those wages will completely upset the team spirit Bielsa has created within this squad.

10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Imagine that, you’d never be able to drop them, if that was the size of gamble someone was willing to take then surely far better having 6 players at £50k each a week. Like you say though, a gamble that would be mad.

11. Jammy 07

Agreed but I'm just watching the Copa Libertadores final being played in Madrid and there are some amazing players on both sides.

Now do we know anyone who might have some contacts in Argentina ?

Leedsoflondon likes this.
  12. lifecheshirewhite

Could well upset the rest of the team on a lot less,and would have to be someone that good there's no gamble,I would go for the Brentford striker,is it Moupay ? a good CH and a RB,any stand out players from a mid table side as they will sell.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Value for money players are overseas players. They dont get massive wages thats why they like to come to the UK. Prijavic scored again tonight in a win to keep ghem top of the league. Ponce scored yesterday to keep his team in 2nd place in the same league. Prijavic would cost £5 to £6m, Ponce would be £3m as out of contract is short. More expensive option would be the Al-Saad player Bhagdad who would be around £10m but wages would be decent for Ponce and Prijavic as they dont get huge wages in Greece

14. Jammy 07

As i said it was my mates idea and obviously I said it was ridiculous. Now he's a clever guy and very successful so I asked him to substantiate his plan.

No brainer he said to employ someone for £3million (or less) who would be different class in the championship. It would be a short term investment based on your current position and likelihood of getting the financial rewards that promotion would bring. Plus you'll need better players anyway for the PL assuming the plan works. Footballers are mercenary bar stewards and at the end of the day will come if the money is right. Look to sign top quality who are proven but won't cost the earth in transfer fees, so similar to Hernandez for example but much better.

Interesting take on things and he's not a Leeds fan so was trying to be objective without having any emotional investment.

Thinking about it, it's what Bolton used to do with players like Jay Jay Okacha etc.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    ristac likes this.
  15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don’t get me wrong, I get the theory, I’d be as excited as a pig in **** if we did sign 3 players of that caliber in January but I’d be bricking myself at the same time.

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The biggy with Bielsa is: if they are good enough to fit his system and must also be an improvement on the player he replaces. So for me it would be very very good player. The goalkeeper must be the new No1 and a wingwr would need to be in the Gomez class so a striker needs to be at least as good as Bamford. Which in fairness makes all 3 premiership quality for next season.

Wishful thinking maybe, but thats the calibre required

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The biggy with Bielsa is: if they are good enough to fit his system and must also be an improvement on the player he replaces. So for me it would be very very good player. The goalkeeper must be the new No1 and a wingwr would need to be in the Gomez class so a striker needs to be at least as good as Bamford. Which in fairness makes all 3 premiership quality for next season.

Wishful thinking maybe, but thats the calibre required

18. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

Exactly and we've been down that road before. Once Ferdinand signed that's when the financial rot started as everyone else started to get big contracts.

19. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member