1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic £3

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by TWGWTDT, Oct 23, 2015.

1. TWGWTDT

TWGWTDT Well-Known Member

What is going on ?
    Back on the UK trains and charity adds everywhere asking for £3

£3

Homeless John dreading the first flakes of snow !
    Give him a Christmas ?

£3
    While the corps escape taxation and the super markets throw away that every second in out of date food !

Black Friday coming up

£3

What is happening

I worked for the Samaritans and can tell you 100% that £3 does not make it to people who need it

anyone on here know anything about the £3 Keen to know

2. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

It's more than £2, I believe.

3. TimPR78

TimPR78 Well-Known Member

Not seen these adverts but yes you have to be very careful who you give money to these days, charity seems to be more of a business. People coming up to you in the street, come to your front door!!! First question I usually ask is if they are getting paid anything for their good deeds, which is usually met with embarrassment and mumbling.

the other annoyance for me is the office charity events, for example a while back we had a come in your nightwear day, were people paid a pound for the privilege, some went out and spent £20++ on a new set of nightwear!!! Missing the point? Another example was a half and half raffle, the greed of these people was clear to see, felt a touch sick on that one. Last example is where you sponsor someone to do things like sky diving, brilliant, I'm paying money, some of what will go to charity so you can go and do something I would like to do for free.

I give what I give and don't feel the need to tell the world each and every time sadly most charity these days is either business or someone basically looking for personal plaudits.

Sorry a personal bugbear of mine

4. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

I am hoping to get a new dyson and laptop for £3 on black friday

5. TWGWTDT

Agreed Tim, I worked for Samaritans at Ewell East for a while helping them design comms and was horrified by my insight
    Yes a load of Marketing managers and spin doctors who were paid really good salaries and work on raising funds for the whole thing to operate
    10m at the time had to pay for the lot and they had to employ hard arse fund raisers. The sponsors would then write off their donations
    The front line are volunteers who are highly skilled and have my upmost respect

The £3 thing i believe is now the minimum amount all these bastards operate on

6. TWGWTDT

Try shoplifting its even cheaper

7. Quality Passing Rules

Quality Passing Rules Well-Known Member

A guy I knew was kicked out by his dad. Let him crash at mine for the night and used my internet to help him get in touch with the right people. Now has his own place and is doing ok. Charity is big business these days and I wouldn't give them my money. I'd give them my time and take direct action like I did with the guy I mentioned at the start, but not money. Look at that kids charity that got wound up recently. Well shady and I'm not going to line some rich ****ers pocket.

8. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

Can someone lend me £3?

kiwiqpr likes this.
  9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Mixed feelings on this. Charities have certainly got a lot more aggressive in recent years, and it's a lot more competitive as well. Increasingly difficult to know the legit and effective from the blaggers. I never give to anyone who knocks on my door, sometimes to street collectors, but more frequently online.

But I don't see why someone who works for a charity should live on a pittance. It's just a job, if you are good at it you should be rewarded at market rates. Tough it does look bad, of course.

10. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

I would like to skydive for charity
    Would you all of me to pay for it for me
    I mean sponsor me

11. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

We have someone at work who wants to volunteer to help children in Bolivia and sent an email around asking for sponsorship to the tune of £800. The fact that he/she doesn't usually give anyone the time of day normally seems to have eluded them.
    This is the type of thing that really pisses me off, just because you work for the same company you feel obliged to contribute.

12. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Perhaps ask Ewan?

Steelmonkey and UTRs like this.
  13. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Yes, that sort of stuff can be somewhat annoying when people roam from office to office in your building trawling for donations, sponsorship etc, since you're really put on the spot. I don't even have enough money to help support three of my kids in university - maybe I should try for a quick whip round?

One thing that works really well for our relatively small IT group (within a much larger organization) is our staff fund. Each of us (15 people) contributes $1/week, so $52/yr x 15 = $780 and this pool of money supports the following items within our group during the year, following a set of guidelines:-

- Retirement gifts, or leaving for another job ($10/yr served max $100) + paid lunch
    - Baby gifts (max $50, twins $100 - none so far!)
    - Summer students paid lunch when departing after terms
    - Donations to a cause (Canadian Cancer Society, Heart & Stroke Foundation etc.) when a colleague's family member passes away
    - A birthday cake per month (even if no birthday), enjoyed at a 30 min branch break (we had one today) - good for morale

Other requests presented for donations are voted on as a group. It's really nice not to always have someone showing up on your doorstep to donate towards this & that, especially if you're not that close with them, other than sharing the same building.

If the fund has a large accumulated surplus come end of year we sometimes organize a paid Christmas bash together paid out of the fund ($600 one year I recall).

QPR999 and Hoops Eternal like this.
  14. factamondo

factamondo Well-Known Member

The bonus we have offered seb polter per goal scored?

15. sku

sku Well-Known Member

I have raised funds for a charity each year by arranging a 5-aside football match - paying for the venue myself (£30) and asking for a donation of £2 per player.

Each match has raised far more than £100 each time as people have kindly offered more. In one instance we raised over £1,000.

The best bit for me is the simplicity that each £2 buys one bed net to protect against malaria (hence the charity name). That way everyone can see the impact of their charity.

When I have set this up online there are links showing exactly where these bed nets go; with photos of these being distributed to the villagers affected.

I chose this charity exactly for its transparency and the fact that all of the money goes directly to the cause; as such I would urge others to do the same.

https://www.againstmalaria.com

100% of public donations buys long-lasting insecticidal nets (LLINs).

QPR999 likes this.
  16. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I like to give change to the Big Issue blokes, particularly if they're witty in their selling.

It also gets on my nerves when the office try and do something. 'Give £2 because some bloke in Finance you don't know is doing a bungee jump'. 'Put some change in the envelope for Deidre who just had a baby'. 'Colin has just lost his leg in a car crash so we're doing a whip round'. **** off, particularly if it's for someone who earns much more than me.

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  17. Eamon Holmes

Eamon Holmes Well-Known Member

Watch out for those doing a walk of the Great Wall of China - or the like - "for charity".

I have seen people saying that they are trying to raise £XXX for a certain charity, but when you look at the charity's website you find out that the £XXX is the cost of travel, etc, which needs to be paid for by the walker.

The charity only benefits if they raise more than that, otherwise you are just paying for someone to go on a jolly to China.

Hoops Eternal and Uber_Hoop like this.
  18. TWGWTDT

I liked Smashy and Nicey when they raised over £22 flying their helicopters together over their local polo club

19. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Google search "most effecient charities" to find out which ones are best to give to.

20. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Charity begins at home.

Send me £3 and I'll send you a photo of the contents of my larder.