1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

£3m

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

That is just normal though. All Rafa's are identified by his scouts. Its what always makes no sense to get too hung up about who is responsible for what. Bottom line is when you sign up for the job knowing the parameters, you are then responsible as manager or head coach for what happens beneath. So McClaren can wriggle around all he likes, they are his signings.

Ranieri and Pearson were credited at Leicester but Steve Walsh found the likes of Kante and Mahrez. I think the only difference is because there was a board, McClaren may not have the final say like a Rafa does. He was possibly only part of the discussion (a big one of course as head coach). None of us know who had what say or responsibility, and inferring it from bitter comments is foolhardy to me. I just look at the facts. McClaren signed up for the set up knowing that he was going to get the plaudits if it went well, and the grief if it went badly.

Again with Thauvin, the interviews at the time don't lie.
    The former England manager said: "Florian is a player the club have been watching for a long time and I am delighted that we have been able to sign him.
    "He is a perfect signing for this club - someone who is young, with great potential and is one of the best young players in Europe.
    "He is an exciting, creative talent who can score goals and make assists, and we believe he will have a very bright future at Newcastle."

Note the 'we' in every statement. He can't turn it into "Carr" just because he couldn't run a bath.

2. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

The team we had under McLaren was (I'd say) much better than we had in the year or two before or than we've had since (though our current team are now finally getting close). He didn't know what to do with them and as such they were a bunch of individuals running around a pitch rather than a team - a frustrating season. If Rafa had been there from the start of that season, with those players, we'd have been mid-table easily.

I didn't oppose McLaren coming in. I was wrong. He was a horror show for us. The purchases that season (bearing in mind what they subsequently sold for) were not a problem at all.

Tol3 likes this.
  3. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

God that season sucked! Much happier with the group of players we have now. You just couldn't even get behind that lot.

4. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooooooo.

Here's a typical example of our team during McClaren's reign:

https://www.nufc.com/html/2015-16html/2015-11-28palace-a.html

Defence is dire compared to the current team, only Jamaat would get in the current defence, the central mid of Colo and Mbemba is way below what we have now.

In midfield we had Anita (average) and Colback (dire), Gini and Sissoko are at least as good as what we have now, but they constantly drifted in and out of games and had no consistency.

Perez is still here, and would you rather than Cisse than Rondon? Scoring an amaazing 3 league goals in 21 games that season.

5. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Cisse was ****e.

6. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Second half of that season we had Wiji, Sissoko, Townsend going forward with Shelvey in good form providing. Our defence was poor and I prefer our team now but I think there's not as much talent - or at least hasn't been but they have improved! We're much more solid now and have some good grafters, it's much easier to like them but there's no-one going to be clamouring to pay £25-£30m for a couple of our players.

7. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The biggest influence Benitez has had is on the defence. Means we can be competitive in most games. Previously we would go through long spells where you just didn’t.t expect anything other than a loss away from home. I was happy to take the rather dour performances as a trade off.

Adding Almiron has suddenly given us a whole new dynamic. Exciting times.

Albert's Chip Shop likes this.
  8. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Agree but think it’s a combo thing. Improving the defence over time and then the midfield with the “find” of Longshanks and then the attack with Miggy.

JakartaToon likes this.
  9. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

T
    T

10. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You developing a stutter Chippy?

11. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Y
    Y
    Y

12. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

Sunday Mirror reporting Spurs and Arsenal interested in Schar ffs it's only March though Mike will be happy<grr>

PS we'll stay up and sell all our best players <whistle>

Albert's Chip Shop likes this.
  13. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

They can have him for silly money. £30m will do it!

14. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

There's just no patience in the game anymore. Schar is a very good player who we got for an absolute song, is he better than they already have? No I'd say not. Rafa has a solid back line which is drilled to be able to handle a change in personnel, we can have Schar, Fernandez, Lejeune, Lascelles or even Clarke in there are of course some are better than others but they all know their job and generally look good in the team. Anyone watching a match who thinks "he looks good lets buy him" would have to be very naive to not realise they work best as a cog in a machine.

If Tottenham want to improve their defence then get the perfectly capable players they already have into training and drill them like Rafa does.

15. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want it,we are starting to put a team together and long for the days when safe by Christmas then enjoy the rest of the season and maybe a cup run,not that far away imho

16. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. TBF I wouldn't really describe us as a selling club and when we have had to it's usually money you cant turn down. We just don't usually buy either!

17. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

We sell anyone that is of interest to bigger clubs or because they arnt wanted or want to leave for whatever reason

Every club is a selling club for the right price