1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

£60m Championship budget

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Magnus, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

We should turn that to our advantage tbh ...

... doesn't seem to hold Man City back.

2. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

I might as well not bothered writing my post, you summed it up for me :D

Makemstine Roger and samwise_new like this.
  3. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

This may well be the first time, but I agree with Wolfy . . . . this is not a good time to be publicising the fact that there could be a mass clearout if our present squad is successful :emoticon-0145-shake

There must be something behind the scenes that we don't know about to maintain current motivation, otherwise this could be a dangerous game :emoticon-0112-wonde

This £60m 'revelation' is therefore a load of bollocks :emoticon-0105-wink:

samwise_new likes this.
  4. KLD

KLD Well-Known Member

This owner / family have not come here to piss about in the lower leagues. They are incredibly ambitious and want to take us to the very top.

Strap in. Its gonna be some ride

5. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I think the leak of news like this should be viewed in a positive way, for fans and currently playing staff alike. From a fans perspective, its a huge statement if intent and something like this will sell season cards....our fans are all about positivities we've had enough of been beaten up by owners. Also, the current playing staff, this should act as an incentive to make sure when new contracts are dished out, they are part of it, then only way that will happen is to get promoted and make sure they have played their part.... I don't see too many down sides

Gil T Azell likes this.
  6. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

Spot on <cheers>

Makemstine Roger and Gil T Azell like this.
  7. Smug in Boots

I don't think we are tbh, just saying money is available ...

... the rest is speculation.

It's true, though, that there are quite a few players out of contract in the summer and this may be a gentle nudge to get them to sign.

Whatever the case I trust the club, owner and manager to do things their way ...

... it's been a while since I could say that.

ab65, Guy Incognito and Draig like this.
  8. KLD

KLD Well-Known Member

I logged into the thread on rtg and i had to remind myself the story was we might have 60m to spend next season and not that he is about to put the club into administration

9. Smug in Boots

I agree mate, there are always contract discussions, retained lists, speculation, etc ...

... players should always be aware that they need to earn contracts, not have them dished out for trying harder when discussions start.

We've suffered from that for too long tbh.

10. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Aye, anyone holding out for a silly money contract gets a nudge with a bit of economic reality - we have money to spend on replacements.

Smug in Boots likes this.

11. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

4 x£15 m players , or 10 £5m players ? I’ll leave that to LJ !

12. Milton Nunez's Thong

Milton Nunez's Thong Well-Known Member

On a different note, I wonder where the money is coming from. If its investment from the ownership group, eill it mean either SD and CM having to dig very deep, or further dilution of their shares? Either way, I'm happy!

13. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

They've got to make the most of it now mate. After May, we'll be a Championship club and saying "Good riddance" to all of them.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Jinxes and curses, are simply explained, years ago in a much praised publication there was a footballer character called Raven on the Wing. It was discovered that the team and ground they played for was under a curse. Raven who had gypsy blood, knew a wise woman who could come perform a ceremony to lift the curse; the team went on to win at Wembley and beat their difficult opponents. However the curse could be brought back if anyone was stupid enough to assume too much too soon...

Fairly straightforward, really...

ps all scientific fact..

KLD being rich and clever knows several Wisewomen, and got the SoL jinx etc all lifted... hence good results since he took over!

Smug in Boots likes this.
  15. Forpadydeplasterer

Forpadydeplasterer Well-Known Member

Could be a very good time to get promoted IF we do and IF there's 60mill to spend.
    The championship is a basket case, clubs won't be looking to buy but looking to sell there players just to stay afloat. Hopefully we spend it wisely and not spend it all like under Short.

16. BigPete

BigPete Well-Known Member

Player prices going up then...

Should keep cards close to chest.

farnboromackem and Sunderpitt like this.
  17. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

There's no doubt money will be available and be invested in the club going forwards and we've already seen with off field appointments KLD's not hanging around. Whether it's the amounts being mentioned is neither here nor there to me tbh but I'd fully expect him to stick to the plan, which is long term sustainable development. I know we have a lot of players out of contract but so do a lot of other clubs, be plenty of good free transfers kicking around. Spend a bit on some promising youngsters and a few ready made Champo players as well as the lads we'd still have here and I doubt you'd be anywhere near £60 mil. Transfermarkt have the total for this year's spending in the Champo at £68 mil so if we do actually have £60 mil for players that would be nuts.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cha...B2/plus/?saison_id=2020&s_w=&leihe=0&intern=0

18. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

I have full confidence in KLD to spend how much he wants, when he wants and in Johnson and Speakman to recruit the right player to fit into the style of play we use.

19. Smug in Boots

That's impossible, in our case, tbh mate ...

... everyone knows were loaded and ambitious.

We just need to create an atmosphere where players want to come here for the right reasons and be clever in the transfer market. KLD has brought in people who are used to negotiating and won't have their pants pulled down.

20. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

thing is, with players their jobs are always 'on the line' , they either step up to the plate and make sure the manager wants to keep them/sees a place for them in future plans or they turn up for their wages every week and right now i honestly believe our entire squad are stepping up.

how many will be seen as part of a championship squad i have no clue but with the experience of this season i doubt any would struggle to find employment on pretty much the same level/wage as they are now...basically it puts them in a 'no lose' situation, there is also the dangling of the carrot that promotion could mean a wee bit of a wage hike.

i think what i am trying to say is that the players know if they put in the bit extra effort they will be rewarded for it so they need to make sure they stay part of the future plans, any not giving a flying fart will soon be sussed and will not get a new contract.

Gatesy likes this.