1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

£75 mill for Chilwell and £53 mill for Timo Werner??

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I think my calculator has just gone haywire. If Timo Werner isn't a hugely better player, and doesn't improve the team more than Chilwell, then I'll put a plastic bag over my head and breath in.
    Chilwell is at best a £35M player, and Frank and Maria need shooting to pay more. Keep the money for amazing players like Kai Havertz and Sancho, don't waste it on "better than average but no where near great "ones like Chilwell.
    Just because he's an upgrade on Emerson and Alonso, though not sure about the latter, doesn't make him anywhere near £75 M. We've got left back covered with Dave anyway until the right one comes along.
    By all means get Chilwell in for the right price, he's better than we've got, but 75Mill, that's Sancho territory, and he's no Sancho.

BobbyD likes this.
  2. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

His price gets doubled because a) He is being sold by a rival club and b) He is English

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Being a rival I'd expect to pay bit more, being English should drop his price by 50%. Don't see many English players topping the "Must Buy" lists.. Truth Is Chilwell is not much more than "above ordinary" He's no Ashley Cole.. He might get a shed load better, but at £75M, I'd not bet on it. Avoid like the plague at that cost, come in at £35M. Keep the other £40m for Sancho.

BobbyD likes this.
  4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

oh I agree Chilwell is definitely no Ashley Cole.
    Whether or not being English should drop the price or not, fact is it doesnt, its the opposite.
    Especially now with the Home Grown quota and **** for squads, the top teams especially often struggle to meet Home Grown quotas for their squads, if you can get a quality first team squad man, at this level, who is British then that comes at a premium. I dont agree with it, my thinking is more along lines with yours, but that seems to be the case.

5. Chelsea Pensioner

6. Chelsea Pensioner

Nationality is irrelevant. Stilwell is a very good player, but £75M is a massive price and in my book £30M more than he has shown himself to be worth. Is he the best left back on earth? No. Is £75M well spent on a left back, when goals and CD are our most important targets? Havertz can be got for £65 M, and players who can really improve the squad for the next decade are available for for half that cost?
    Well overpriced. Good luck to the boy and his club, but not worth the fuss. He's not a player who would show an instant improvement to the team.. Walk away.
    Wait for the right player at the right price. Stillwell is the best left back available in the marke at the momentt, but hugely overpriced, and underwhelming with it..

7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

i hope we dont touch chillwell with a barge pole at that price.

I'd rather just stick emerson or alonso there.

8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Again, I agree with you, but that just isnt the case, patently.
    You saying so doesnt make it so.

9. Chelsea Pensioner

Wasn't trying to make this a national thing, simply meant that English players rarely get bought for the kind of prices players from other parts bring, or usually not until they play abroad, really make the grade, and then get the Jadon Sancho offers. Bale and Beckham are a couple of odd ones out when they were outstanding class players.
    Chilwell at this stage is not a world beater, but plenty of good judges think he can be. My only point is , Nationality should be irrelevant, at this stage I don't see him as more than half his asking price, relative to todays market.

10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

So Chelsea have got Werner, the Ajax guy and are seeking out Havertz? Time to poke a bit of fun at Arsenal who sign lower-ability PL players at exhorbitant prices.